Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RigMate Ham Radio Computer USB Interface Kit Help

Reviews Summary for RigMate Ham Radio Computer USB Interface Kit
RigMate Ham Radio Computer USB Interface Kit Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $65
Description: Fewer computers/laptops include an RS-232 serial port so here's an interesting little kit that uses the USB port to provide adjustable and transformer isolated interface for the audio signals to and from the PC sound card.

It also is an interface to the PTT, FSK (compatible with MMTTY), and CW signals used by many types of digital mode software.

Best of all, it also includes a full CI-V interface for ICOM radios
More info: http://members.cruzio.com/~soennichsen/rigmate.htm

You can write your own review of the RigMate Ham Radio Computer USB Interface Kit.

N0ER Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2005 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Good performance, great price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanted to scrap my breadboarded BPSK/RTTY interface but I'm too frugal (my wife says, cheap) to put down $100+ for a decent interface. And I wanted it driven from an USB port.

Saw this kit on "that auction site" and thought I'd give it a try. It was a good decision.

First, its straightforward to build. Nothing fancy and no lengthy alignments or special tools. It went together in a couple of enjoyable hours. And if you check the components carefully ( I use an ohm meter, but I'm old)and put them in the right place, it lights up on the first try.

There's easy to use software included with the kit that makes the transition to the USB port dead simple. I followed the directions (for once) and the unit appeared just as the directions said it would. I've used it with Mix-W, MMTTY and other software without a hitch.

And yes, it works.

I finally have an easy way to set the levels and maintain isolation between the units that prevents the dreaded ground loops.

And I can't tell you why but it seems faster than the operation by serial port. The XMIT/RCVR turn around is crisper and there's not that annoying PTT operation as the Computer starts up.

I've had no problem getting correct adjustments on any mode and I can finally tuck it back out of harm's way. And since I interface it to the rear connector of the 746PRO, there's no switching or swapping of mike cables required.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. Especially if you enjoy building and relish that feeling of accomplishment when something you created (no matter how simple) actually works. Very satisfying.