Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | MFJ 451 CW keyer/keyboard Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 451 CW keyer/keyboard
MFJ 451 CW keyer/keyboard Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Keyboard
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-451

You can write your own review of the MFJ 451 CW keyer/keyboard.

WB4SNU Rating: 2/5 Dec 17, 2011 03:27 Send this review to a friend
Got tired of trying to use it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this keyer/keyboard for years. I got it at a hamfest used many years ago. It works great when not hooked up to a radio. When I hook it up to the radio, it goes crazy sending random and useless cw. Sometimes it won't even work after trying until I turn it off and then back on. Even at 5 watts on the radio, it just goes crazy. I am guessing it is a rf problem. I am going to run a good ground and see if that will cure the problem. I want to use it since my right hand is not good on a paddle. I haven't contacted mfj since it is so old but would like to hear from anyone using the newer ones. I have tried computor programs but with little success. I love cw but am limited on the use of a paddle.

KF8KL Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2007 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Money well spent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the 451 keyboard unit for over 10 years and have had great service from it. While it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, it has been very dependable. Recenlty a strange thing happened to the CPU--dots became dashes and dashes became dots. So when the unit powered on the cusotmary "ON" became "SA". So I emailed MFJ and they told me how to do a reset--this procedure wasn't mentioned in the manual. Anyway, it's now working like a champ again! So I will give kudos to their service department as well. All in all it has been a positive addition to my shack.

K5QEA Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2003 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice Keyboard  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After reading the previous review, I was a little hesitant about the 451. However, after working a couple of them on the bands, I decided to give it a try. It is RF sensitive. At my lake house the rig wasn't grounded very well and I did have some problems. After a ground rod and a few feet of cable it works great. Works great at home too. Have been using it for 3 months now and just love it. Just wish I had more memories. Should have bought the bigger one.
Overall, I have had great fun with the keyboard...

N1VU Rating: 2/5 Feb 25, 2000 21:00 Send this review to a friend
When they work, they're great. When they don't...  Time owned: unknown months
This is my second time around with a 451. I bought the first one about 2 1/2 years ago. When it came from AES, it worked, but the keyboard wasn't RF suppressed, as promised. I returned it and got a properly working unit. I sold it a few months later. Recently, I decided to buy another. This time, though, the first one wouldn't work at all (dead keyer), and the second one didn't have an RF suppressed keyboard. I returned it for store credit and gave up. MFJ needs to spend a little more time with quality control. Their CW keyboards don't seem to be an area they excel in. When they work, they're fun to use and make you feel like superman, blasting out code at 70 wpm. But the aggravation of finding one that actually works in a shack is very frustrating.