Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony ICF-2002 Help

Reviews Summary for Sony ICF-2002
Sony ICF-2002 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $295.00
Description: First Digital Worldband radio (1983-86)

You can write your own review of the Sony ICF-2002.

VK3DWZ Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2012 00:34 Send this review to a friend
A great workhorse.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine since 1984 when we received it as a gift from N.H.K. (Radio Japan). The model number on this one is ICF-7600D--the same as the '2002. Mine came with an "international" mains adaptor. This is ideal when travelling overseas: just change the votage, and the mains plug, and you're ready to go!

What a wonderful little wireless it has been! I still use it to this day to provide entertainment by my bedside.

It has accompanied me on a number of interstate, and overseas trips and in that time, has never missed a beat.

Pros:

It's small and ideal for that 'plane trip where weight is a consideration.

It's rugged. Mine has survived being dropped upon the bedroom floor several times and, to show you how rugged it is, it even survived being thrown on to a concrete floor by a bad-tempered nurse in one of our public (free) hospitals here--ah, the "joys" of the Australian public hospital system. Only the earphone jack broke (Internally).

Cons:

It's not very sensitive using just the internal ferrite aerial, or the whip aerial. Indeed, the whip aerial, here, receives little more than local QRM on short-wave. However, connect a good long-wire aerial and the receiver really shines!

Only 10 memories, but this was 1985. Actually I prefer such few--to-day's receivers with hundreds (of memories) can be a pain to set up.

The I-F filters aren't up to much. They are too narrow close to the nose, but the skirts are too wide. This allows all sorts of adjacent-channel "rubbish" to come in.

No dial-light. You need a torch in the dark.

One last thing: If the receiver should go deaf when using the whip aerial, the problem could be that the flimsy wire connecting the aerial to the reciever has come off. This wire is connected to the junction of two resistors that stand proud of the circuit board and replacing the wire is very easy. It has happened on my receiver once, or twice

Overall, a very nice, rugged little wireless. I recommend it.

N1EBQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2010 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Olde but a Goode!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine from a co-elmer back in '87 and still use it for all casual AM/SW/FM listening. Sure the SSB adjust is barely workable but c'mon, it's not a 2010 or a desk top! If you are at all serious about the hobby you don't need more memory than your gray matter can provide! If this unit ever fails, which I doubt, I'll punch in for a 7600 and call it a day.

KB2FBI Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2006 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Bought one at full retail!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Howdy:

I bought mine in the early 80's and paid dearly for it. Nonetheless, I got my money's worth. It has a whip and ten (count 'em!) memories. It also has a connector for a wire antenna (included with phono plug) an attenuator, a tape-out (even line level) ear phone jack and more. It came with, get this, an outboard battery pack of four C batteries. You can use external wall wart here as well. It has LW, MW, SW, and FM BCB. It has a SSB fine tune that is delicate and takes a patient hand. But it works very well. I heard the Gulf War I (The mini-series) in 1991 start over this radio. I heard November Mike November (US CG) give Advice to Mariners about the Persian Gulf. Anyway, great technology and very portable.

SLIDERULEX Rating: 4/5 Jan 1, 2006 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer, SW, SSB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally got around to buying this radio (22 years late, but better late than never). I bought it on ebay for $65.00 which also included shipping. I can tell you it was well worth it!

It has AM/FM/SW/SSB and a cute little clock. It is decent for AM and mono FM, but what I like about it is its SW performance. For such an old radio (early 80's) it performs quite well on SW. It has functional SSB, but that is not its best feature.

Tuning is digital tuning via the UP/DOWN buttons. Tuning is in 5 KHz steps for SW. For bandscanning, it requires you to listen carefully as you pass over stations. Stations which are active give a definate sound so you know you should go back and check it to see if it is something you want to listen to. It has 10 memories which are easy to use. I wish it had more, but hey, it's the 80's.

It is powered by 4-AA batteries for the audio, and 2-AA batteries for the computer control. When this first came out in the early 80's, it made quite a sensation in Germany at a radio fair it debuted in. It measures 7 x 4.5 x 1.0 inches and stands upright with reasonable stability if you don't push it. It has a 30 inch antenna and mine still works great collapsing properly.

Reception is good for AM and FM, but I decided to buy it for its SW performance. I am not disappointed. I would like to give it a 4.3-4.5 for SW performance while a 3.8-4.0 for AM and a 3.0-3.5 for FM, and a 3.0 for SSB. Overall, my rating (using the high scores) would be, on average, a 3.75, hence my 4.0 rating listed. This is in comparison to ALL of my other worldband radios which include the magnificent Sony 2010, the glorious Panasonic RF 2200. Comparing the Sony ICF-2002 to these noble performers still gives a 3.75-4.0 so that is quite respectable. I am happy with it and would not sell it.