Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Precision Collins Services Help

Reviews Summary for Precision Collins Services
Reviews: 24 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $65 Per Hour
Description: Repair and alignment of Collins Radio tube-type equipment.

You can write your own review of the Precision Collins Services.

WA9TDQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2017 09:54 Send this review to a friend
KWM-2A Repair  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I cannot recommend Precision Collins Services highly enough! I recently purchased a KWM-2A along with the power supply and station console. I had the equipment shipped directly to Steve. Within a few days of him receiving the equipment, Steve provided me his preliminary assessment of my equipment and an estimate for the repair of all equipment. Throughout the process, Steve kept me updated on where he was in the project. The final invoice was spot-on with his estimates and the equipment was beautifully wrapped so that there would be no damage in transit. Steve is a pro and I recommend Precision Collins Services as my first choice for Collins equipment repair!
WA9TDQ

WB6FQZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2017 08:42 Send this review to a friend
RECOMMENED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my KWM-2 back from Steve after a very extensive overhaul. He knows Collins gear inside and out and his rates are very reasonable. I highly recommend him.

AC5J Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2017 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 51S-1 service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I inherited a 51S-1 coming from the Dallas factory, which needed capacitor change-out, alignment, and general TLC (bad tube, lubrication etc.). Steve did a fine job of getting the work done quickly. I appreciated having an up-front cost estimate. I promptly got it back and an early trial showed smoke signals from a 1K resistor in the V2b screen grid circuit! I called Steve and he cleared the decks to fix the problem. Turns out it was a stray metal whisker in the bandswitch, probably came adrift from the switch during the years of use. That whisker put some grey hairs on us both! It is on as I write this. I recommend Steve to anyone with a receiver needing some TLC. He will move mountains to give caring service.

KD6NOT Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2017 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service on recent Collins 51S-1F repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Recently I contacted Steve at Precision Collins to arrange for a repair of my 51S-1F receiver. The excellent customer service started with Steve providing information on how to best package the unit for shipment. The excellent service continued with Steve alerting me when the shipment was received, the condition, and his initial inspection observations. This was followed shortly thereafter with an initial checkout and refined estimate to repair. Steve continued to stay in close contact during the troubleshooting, and although the problem presented a particular challenge that took additional time, Steve honored the original estimate. In addition, when selected parts were either not available or difficult to secure, Steve explained my options prior to initiating repair. My overall experience was extremely positive, with Steve following up a few weeks after returning the repaired unit to ensure the radio performed up to my expectations. I would not hesitate to recommend Precision Collins Services for anyone looking to repair a Collins radio.

K5YHX Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2016 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent work, knowledgable   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I called Steve because my kWM-2A needed help. I described my issues to steve and he asked my a couple of questions.
He then told me it would be no problem and told me in advance what I could expect. I sent Steve the radio and got my assessment back shortly. I approved the recommended work. Steve ordered the parts, his communication was excellent. Steve's work is meticulous and precise, very thorough. My radio was returned fully repaired, clean and aligned. The transmit and grid drive are very good. The receiver is very sensitive, .25 MV. I love this radio it is one of my favorites. I can't thank Steve enough for his work. I will be sending him another one of my radios. A great guy to deal with.

KI6EQW Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2016 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Another great job by Steve Berman  Time owned: more than 12 months
Call is actually W3KYL. Steve did his magic on a KWM-2A, and a 75s-3C. The sound and preform as new. Steve is the guy I go to when I buy a Collins item on EPAY. They all require work, and parts/tubes. Steve's prices are fair, and his attention to detail is unmatched.
Since he has moved to Las Vegas, I drive my projects to him, and pick them up. It is about 275 miles from Orange County, CA. I am not about to put a newly restored unit in the hands of any shipper....

K2AU Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2015 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Help  Time owned: more than 12 months
I called Steve about a problem I was having on my Collins 30 L1. He spent 20 minutes with me troubleshooting it. Although the tune circuit was not dipping, Steve proved that the Amp was indeed putting out good power.
My thanks to Steve and if I ever have to ship out a Collins unit, it will go to him
I give him a solid 5 and an atta-boy
Mark
K2AU

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2015 08:55 Send this review to a friend
QUALITY REPAIR WORK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I delivered to Steve my 45-year-old KWM 2 and power supply that started having some transmit and receive problems. Steve sourced all the bad parts and tubes and made the needed repairs. The radio now works like it did when it was first purchased.

What I really appreciated was that Steve tried to talk me through problems on the telephone giving me some possible fixes I could do myself trying to save me a repair bill. I highly recommend.

W2RS Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2015 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Steve is a real, caring pro  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently had Steve overhaul my 50-year-old KWM-2. Not only is he an expert Collins tech, but it's a pleasure dealing with someone who really cares about what he's doing. I'd use him again, without hesitation.

K5PBJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2015 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service on my 30L-1  Time owned: more than 12 months
Steve Berman, N6HK, comes highly recommended from the Collins collector's forums. I recently had an issue with the meter switch on my 30L-1. Not being a very technical ham, I shipped it off based on the collector's forum opinion of Steve's work. Steve ran through my 30L-1 with a fine-toothed comb including cleaning all the switch contacts and running extensive diagnostics on the entire amp. He pronounced it tip-top and shipped it back to me without any unnecessary delay.

Collins is obviously his specialty, so add my call to the list of satisfied clients. Steve's work and turn-around is first rate!

Scott