Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Precision Collins Services Help

Reviews Summary for Precision Collins Services
Reviews: 20 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $65 Per Hour
Description: Repair and alignment of Collins Radio tube-type equipment.

You can write your own review of the Precision Collins Services.

W6PFW Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2012 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service Recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
Steve has repaired my Collins 30L-1 as well as my KWM-2 and power supply. (Twice on the latter) and has provided excellent, timely and friendly service. He has always quoted prices and/or estimates for my approval prior to any work. I find him to very knowledgeable and willing to spend as much time as needed explaining what and why repairs are needed. I recommend him highly and will gladly respond to any questions you may have by e-mail to An A++++ rating from me!

W7OEJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2012 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Equipment serviced Was Collins. KWM-2 and 30 L-1 & more  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Collins equipment I own which is a KWM-2, a 30L-1 amplifier and a PM-2 power supply were put back into service by Steve after not being turned on for over five years.

Steve Berman went carefully through all three pieces of equipment and replaced what was needed to again make
them very functional pieces of radio equipment.

Steve would appraise me of everything that needed to be done and the cost involved prior to starting the restoration of each piece of equipment.

Steve has a great appreciation for the Collins gear and is certainly knowledgable about the equipment.

I was an active Ham many years ago and now re-entering the hobby. Steve has been a great coach in helping me get re-acquainted with amateur radio. He has graciously spent a great deal of time helping me get back on the air.

Steve sets the "gold standard" for professional and personal service.

If you would like to talk to me about his excellent services in any more detail please email me: werner.r@ AT&

N6PPO Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2011 13:42 Send this review to a friend
by n6ppo  Time owned: more than 12 months
steve provides a welcome service on the old collins radios -- he did a great job of bringing my kwm-2 back to life --- freindly good advice befor agreeing to service then after areement and service is complete does great work -- many thanks larry n6ppo
WA7SB Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2011 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Repair of Collins S-Line  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently inherited a 40 year old Collins S-Line (32S-3/75S-3) and 30L-1 from my uncle's (SK) estate. Having neither the equipment nor expertise to refurbish and retune, I sought out repair services. From the CCA site I found Steve Berman in Tehachapi, CA. This was a bonus as he lives 70 miles from my QTH and I wouldn't have to ship the rig. Steve performed a thorough evaluation of all the equpiment and provided a fair estimate to repair. Steve undid several "user" mods and returned the rig to factory performance specs. Not only did he repair the rig but gave me numerous in-person, email and telephone support in the operation of my Collins gear at no extra charge. The rig is back on the air and I always get glowing reports on the quality of the signal. I would HIGHLY recommend Steve for repairs on Collins and other gear. Steve and I have developed a lasting friendship that continues to this day.
Rick - WA6RIC
W9OUY Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2008 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Repair of KWM2 and 516F-2  Time owned: more than 12 months
This involved repairing my Collins KWM2 and recaping my Collins 516F-2. It was extreemly well done. I can strongly recommend this service.
W6KY Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2008 21:54 Send this review to a friend
KWM-2's and 516F-2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Steve recently brought 3 of my KWM-2's back to life and better than factory specs. I personally delivered and picked up my equipment. During pick-up Steve showed me in detail the repairs he had performed. He also demonstrated the transmit and receive capabilities showing better than Collins factory specs. Outstanding! He also restored a 516F-2 power supply that had been butchered (lucky no holes drilled) to factory spec. I highly recommend Steve. Very detailed and responsible...I will use him again and again.
Art - W6KY
Escondido, CA
W6JOB Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2008 22:04 Send this review to a friend
KWM-2A & 30L-1  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Steve sure knows his Collins gear as I found out when I took my gear up to him in Tehachapi a few months ago for service and repair. I wanted the diode/capacitor board replaced in my Collins 30L-1 before I turned it on for the first time and I also wanted him to check out the KWM-2A that I bought on eBay. Both pieces of gear were handled expeditiously and since then Steve is a continuing source of counsel for my Collins gear. Next in line for him is my Halicrafters SX-99 which has been in storage for many years!
CHRISGM Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2008 17:51 Send this review to a friend
The radio fixit man.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Steve is a great all purpose fixit man for tube gear. He has done work on six or seven pieces of collins gear, as well as rebuilding a drake power supply, and bring back to life a hard to find Drake TR4-CW-RIT. He is now doing this full-time, and has a backlog.
I'll be sending him some more gear in a couple of months, seems everything I buy on EPAY needs help! If you are out West he is the MAN!
CHRISGM Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2007 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Steve is friendly, helpful, and above all knows what he is doing. He made my KWM-2, and 75S-3B sing again. He now has a couple of my 32S-3's and another 75S-3B. Be patient, good service takes a while.
KD2ZO Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2006 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mr. Berman was helpful, professional, and courteous. From advice on packing up the equipment for initial shipping to sending me a tube for my power supply gratis, he made the whole process clear and efficient. He kept me well appraised of what the condition of the rig was, what was needed to repair it, and what the costs were.

I recommend his services without qualification.