Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ameritron ATR-30 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ATR-30
Ameritron ATR-30 Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $600
Description: True Legal Limit Edge Wound Roller Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=ATR-30

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ATR-30.

N0DQS Rating: 3/5 Feb 18, 2013 10:11 Send this review to a friend
just ok  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tuned all that I wanted but had to solder 2 spots that the factory missed, have had this with other products as well so nothing new, inductor was a bit rough and noisy, meter was inaccurate. Did the job but was not for my shack, a bit rough in the asssembly also. Fit and trim a little rough.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2013 11:18 Send this review to a friend
HELD UP FINE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased new in 2004 and still going strong running 1K through it. I clean the air inductor and switches every two year or so. Never had a problem with this tuner. Are there better? Sure palstar to name a few but I will keep using this one for a very long time.

W9BB Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2012 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner for some time now, and honestl, don't need it that much with my antennas. Now and then I tweak down the SWR if close to 2:1 and it works very well. No issues, no problems, etc. Seems to work as it should. A bit long from the front to the back of the unit to fit on the desk. Pricey but I think, in the long run, worth the money. Roller inductor tuning is nice. Not silky smooth, but functional.

WX4R Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2012 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using such for several without any problems.Tuner will handle legal limit easily.

N5GOD Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2012 15:23 Send this review to a friend
No problems great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had no problems with the tuner. I bought mine used and worth every penny. Tunes everything I need to tune. I use it with a AL80B so I cannot say about higher wattage. In my shack for what I do I cannot ask for any better.

KY6R Rating: 2/5 Jun 11, 2012 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Edgewound Inductor Stinks  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the first year, this tuner did a great job - but the edgewound inductor was never very "smooth".

After 1 year, there was a binding and "grinding" sound when I tuned the inductor. I found that a brass screw comes loose and then scores the copper strip on one of the inductor connectors. I tightened the screw and it lasts a couple months. After a couple times doing this - the copper strip was so badly scored that I had to cut it - solder a wire and pass it through the back of the inductor. This worked fine for 6 months - then the brass screw becomes so loose from the brass tapping expanding that it won't stay tight no matter what.

The Palstar AT2K is a much, much better tuner.

K3PA Rating: 3/5 Dec 18, 2011 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Works, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, it works. Never seemed to have any problems with arcing, etc. Reasonable tuning range. Peak reading meter *sort-of* works. That being said, it is MFJ and shows it. The spinner knob fell off mine.

AA6TJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2011 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After several "memory" tuners that forgot their settings, I decided to go with a manual tuner. I selected the ATR-30 because it had the largest variable capacitors, and the good quality of other Ameritron products. It is so easy to tune that I wish I never tried the memory tuners. One of the questions I had was the dimensions of the product. The cabinet is approximately 13" wide, 14 1/4 deep, and 5 3/4 high. Overall depth from the front of the knobs to the furthest point of the connectors is approximately 17 1/4". I could not find this info anywhere. I hope it helps.

N5VU Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2011 20:28 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It true. It will handle the AL-82 with room to spare. Over the last 35 years, I've had various tuners. This is a really good high power tuner. The roller inductor is made from flat stock that is wound into a coil. When I went and visited MFJ & Ameritron, I had seen an ATR-30 in the process of being built. It was the idea of the wide edge wound stock with a very good and solid contact between the roller and the inductor that sold me.
The peak meter is very nice. I really like the back-lit meter. It appears to now have the LED illumination. Very pleasant and bright. The older I get the more light I need to see. The turns counter is driven from one direct drive gear on the crank directly to the counter.
Tuning is a snap. It is always "on the numbers" on band changes. I highly reccommend making a chart for each antenna for each 100 KHz of each band. You will be very thankfull for the chart. It saves a lot of time "hunting" for the right match.
I bought it to mate up with my new Ameritron AL-82. They look good together.
I'm on my fifth Ameritron amplifier. I have been slowly upgrading to where I am now. No regrets. Other than I wish I had enough money for the AL-1500. Maybe later. If you have any questions, please email me at n5vu at yahoo dot com. 73 & good DX! Marcel

WB3JGP Rating: 2/5 Jun 11, 2011 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Cheaply made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Do yourself a favor and look at this thing in person before you buy it. Test it for yourself before you buy. You'll be glad you did.