Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ameritron ATR-30 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ATR-30
Ameritron ATR-30 Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $600
Description: True Legal Limit Edge Wound Roller Antenna Tuner

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ATR-30.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2010 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner second hand over 3 years ago and opened it up and inspected it as soon as I received it. Everything looked good. This tuner replaced a home built tuner that didn't have 160m capability.

The tuner has been in constant use with two antenna systems connected to it so the selector switch has been rotated a thousand times by now at least with no problems.

It is used with an Ameritron AL-80B amp at under 1000 watt output on all bands and there has never been a problem with arcing or anything else. (The AL-80B has performed flawlessly too and is a great little amplifier and all anyone would ever need!)

The ATR-30 matches any antenna I've tried. For instance I use it to tune my 4 element 20m monobander on 17m where I run the antenna backwards (the 20m directors acting as reflectors on 17m). I use a 60 foot tall pipe fed with 7/8th heliax on 80, 40 and 30m and it has no problem tuning that antenna on those bands. Recently I had noise on the vertical on 30m so tried my 160m quarter wave sloper. It was quieter so I tuned it with the tuner and it worked fine. Nothing I've tried to tune has defeated the ATR-30. All antennas I use are heliax fed, no random wires, which probably helps.

Last summer I put up a 4 element yagi on 12m, heliax fed. The ATR-30 tunes it fine on 10 and 15 metres. I've also tuned my 20m beam on 15 and that worked fine too. Those beams use omega and gamma matches with large spaced capacitors so there is no internal arcing when tuned off band.

As far as customer support from Ameritron is concerned, I've never needed any for this tuner but less than a year after I bought the AL-80B I received an unsolicited phone call directly from Ameritron reminding me the warrenty was nearly over and did I have any problems or questions?
No other company has EVER phoned me like that. You can't beat that for customer support!

I depend on the ATR-30 EVERY DAY! and it has never let me down--- an excellent tuner!
K9FON Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2009 19:20 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When i first got this tuner I couldnt get it to tune my ladder line fed 160 meter doublet. I called Ameritron and a talk with the tech and i found out the problem. The balun in the tuner is a 1.1 balun. No wonder i couldnt get it to tune! I rebilt the balun into a 4.1 balun and lo and behold, it WORKS!! So if anyone else has the same issues i had just pop the cover and see if tehy installed a 1.1 balun. I dont know if the newer tuners have the 1.1 balun by mine was made in 2002 and it did..
K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2009 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner to use with my 230 foot 600 ohm open wire fed doublet. It had trouble providing a match which didn't surprise me too much since few tuners I own can accomplish this. I now use it on a 200 foot end fed long wire with two 200 foot counterpoise wires at my second QTH. It tunes this wire great 160-10. The other tuners I tried worked well 80-10 but not 160. I'm very satisfied with it now and Ameritron provides good service when needed.
W5VYY Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2008 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Great top band tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the ATR-30 new and have not had any issues with it. I run 1000 watts output from a Heathkit SB-1000 on 160 meters and I use the ATR-30 to tune my open wire fed loop antenna. It was highly recomended to me by other top band operaters. Pictures at:
AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2008 21:06 Send this review to a friend
One of the best in the market  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned several tuners,MN-2000,different MFJ's,Johnson,Tentec,etc and as soon I purchased this one from a second hand but kept in pristine condition,I realized it was well done,inside and outside the bulding is solid,I have run all kind of antennas from G5RV,dipoles,windoms,verticals,etc using more than 1200W trough it and it never has problems tunning them even at high power.The roller inductor feels smooth,the PEP wattmeter is very accurate,capacitors move very smooth as well,in other words its a perfect tuner for any amp no matter how big it be.I payed $400 for this one and I think it was a good investment.

KD5NCO Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2007 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Pleasantly Surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on past MFJ / Ameritron Quality Control issues I was prepared to find cold solder joints, loose or missing hardware, and tight or notchy adjustment controls.

My ATR-30 is perfect in all aspects and works just fine against my Hustler BTV5 compromise vertical. Because I am not a full QRO operator, I highly doubt this tuner will ever be a problem. In fact I bought it for the slight over kill based on my use and needs.
K2VI Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2007 10:05 Send this review to a friend
very good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
purchased mine new in 2002 and it still works flawalessly,i run full 1500 watts pep from my ameritron al-82 and it tunes flat SWR all the time.Im thinking it's a quality control issues with ameritron/mfj. I got lucky and got one that was assembled perfectly.Also the peak meter is very accurate and responsive.I hope you get one of the good ones,they do a great job.
N2EIK Rating: 3/5 Feb 3, 2007 09:00 Send this review to a friend
OK, overpriced.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't seen any flaws as described in some other posts. I have been using it QRO and I like the meters But the meters do not work at all (nature of design) if there isnt any 12v dc going to the tuner. It is sort of inconvenient, but easy to work around (add a plug from my shacks 12 volt rail. All in all I should have never sold my Murch UT2000, that would tune a tin can! Should have bought one on ebay.
N4DEK Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2006 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My ATR-30 is dated 04-2005 and shows none of the defects as described below by another owner. Fact is I looked inside mine to find that it's just the opposite of what he claims he found in his. Everything is well mounted and secure as well as being straight and in line with the cabinet. I have no binding issues what so ever with the roller inductor either. From one end of the cycle to the other it is smooth in it's rotation. Turns counter works great. No rough spot on the antenna selector either. Feels the same going counter clockwise as it does clockwise. All knobs and controls have a good solid feel to them. Metering circut works excellent and seems to be as accurate as anything else these days. Can't explain why others have had problems with this tuner but mine works as advertised. Well worth what I paid for it anyway.
KB9FMV Rating: 0/5 Nov 17, 2005 07:08 Send this review to a friend
MIGHTY FINE JUNK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it over a year and paid $400.00 more like a $300 DOLLAR tuner! Had to replace the roller inductor ! Well MFJ DOES IT AGAIN ! NEVER AGAIN!