Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ameritron ATR-30 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ATR-30
Ameritron ATR-30 Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $600
Description: True Legal Limit Edge Wound Roller Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=ATR-30

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ATR-30.

KD5NCO Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2007 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Pleasantly Surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on past MFJ / Ameritron Quality Control issues I was prepared to find cold solder joints, loose or missing hardware, and tight or notchy adjustment controls.

My ATR-30 is perfect in all aspects and works just fine against my Hustler BTV5 compromise vertical. Because I am not a full QRO operator, I highly doubt this tuner will ever be a problem. In fact I bought it for the slight over kill based on my use and needs.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2007 10:05 Send this review to a friend
very good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
purchased mine new in 2002 and it still works flawalessly,i run full 1500 watts pep from my ameritron al-82 and it tunes flat SWR all the time.Im thinking it's a quality control issues with ameritron/mfj. I got lucky and got one that was assembled perfectly.Also the peak meter is very accurate and responsive.I hope you get one of the good ones,they do a great job.

N2EIK Rating: 3/5 Feb 3, 2007 09:00 Send this review to a friend
OK, overpriced.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't seen any flaws as described in some other posts. I have been using it QRO and I like the meters But the meters do not work at all (nature of design) if there isnt any 12v dc going to the tuner. It is sort of inconvenient, but easy to work around (add a plug from my shacks 12 volt rail. All in all I should have never sold my Murch UT2000, that would tune a tin can! Should have bought one on ebay.

N4DEK Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2006 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My ATR-30 is dated 04-2005 and shows none of the defects as described below by another owner. Fact is I looked inside mine to find that it's just the opposite of what he claims he found in his. Everything is well mounted and secure as well as being straight and in line with the cabinet. I have no binding issues what so ever with the roller inductor either. From one end of the cycle to the other it is smooth in it's rotation. Turns counter works great. No rough spot on the antenna selector either. Feels the same going counter clockwise as it does clockwise. All knobs and controls have a good solid feel to them. Metering circut works excellent and seems to be as accurate as anything else these days. Can't explain why others have had problems with this tuner but mine works as advertised. Well worth what I paid for it anyway.

KB9FMV Rating: 0/5 Nov 17, 2005 07:08 Send this review to a friend
MIGHTY FINE JUNK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it over a year and paid $400.00 more like a $300 DOLLAR tuner! Had to replace the roller inductor ! Well MFJ DOES IT AGAIN ! NEVER AGAIN!

N3MX Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2005 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Very nice solid tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now owned the ATR-30 for over a year and run it with an Ameritron AL-1200 legal limit amplifier.
I have operated several contests with it and put a number of hours on this tuner running full legal limit. It has and continues to work flawlessly with very smooth repeatable tuning. I have never experienced any arcing of any kind even on 160 meters.

KC4VFP Rating: 0/5 Aug 4, 2004 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Twice Bitten  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The reason I gave this a "0" is because the roller inductor is a continuing weak link on MFJ products.

The "0" is because this defect could potentially destroy a high power amp, or a radio with poorly protected finals.

See http://kc4vfp.us/atr30_antenna_tuner_problems.html

The roller is pushed back from the surface of the inductor because of this factory defect. The "QC" inspection sticker means nothing.

Lesson to learn: If you feel any extra tension as you rotate the inductor dial, return the unit. This extra tension is caused by the roller inductor supports coming in contact with the roller, and pushing the roller AWAY from the inductor.

To protect your TX, always use a device that senses excessive SWR and interrupts the TX keying line.

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2004 09:07 Send this review to a friend
4 years and still working as new  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update on my review of 4 years ago. Still works like new. No problems, no sparking, no burned parts. I use this with my IC-746 and with an AL-811H amplifier. 10-80 meters is no problem while tuning an MFJ-1798 antenna. I have been able to tune this on 160 meters, too.

W9PMZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2004 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have now owned this antenna tuner for 3 months. So far no problem.

The power meter is good and compares to other power meters that I have. The peak reading feature is very nice and compares well against a single tone.

Have not had any arcs yet (am using a AL-1200) with my vertical on 80M.

Built solid, lays flat on the desk, unlike a prior MFJ-989C.

Knobs and vernier dive are much nicer than the MFJ-989C.

My only complaint is that most antenna tuner manufactures use cross meters. I'd prefer a two meter system such as my Heathkit 2140.

In comparing the Palstar Tuners against the Ameritron Tuner they are both good choices. However, I prefer the meter on the Ameritron than the Palstar, just a cosmetic opinion.

N0XE Rating: 3/5 May 28, 2004 16:51 Send this review to a friend
MFJ Clone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sorry, I can't agree with some of the reviews on this tuner, it is still mostly a MFJ and leaves a lot to be desired. I have had to do quality control on every MFJ product I have owned and this one is no exception. I had an Ameritron tuner several years ago and it was built much better then this unit. This tuner will work and yes it will do what it is suppose to do, but the feel of the knobs is cheap, the rollar inductor like most of the MFJ units I have owned is very stiff and does not roll smoothly. There is a serious quality control problem with many of MFJ products and now it has rolled over on to the Ameritron line, $599 for this tuner is nuts, it is in no way in the same class as the Heathkit 2060A which is an outstanding rollar inductor tuner and it's built from a kit, The Palstar line will blow this unit out of the water and if you are going to spend new money on a tuner then look at one of the other high quality tuners on the market and get your $599 worth, It works and it will do the job, but it is basically OK and that is it!!
73 N0XE