Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ameritron ATR-30 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ATR-30
Ameritron ATR-30 Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $600
Description: True Legal Limit Edge Wound Roller Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=ATR-30

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ATR-30.

W5VYY Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2008 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Great top band tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the ATR-30 new and have not had any issues with it. I run 1000 watts output from a Heathkit SB-1000 on 160 meters and I use the ATR-30 to tune my open wire fed loop antenna. It was highly recomended to me by other top band operaters. Pictures at: www.johngammon.com

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2008 21:06 Send this review to a friend
One of the best in the market  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned several tuners,MN-2000,different MFJ's,Johnson,Tentec,etc and as soon I purchased this one from a second hand but kept in pristine condition,I realized it was well done,inside and outside the bulding is solid,I have run all kind of antennas from G5RV,dipoles,windoms,verticals,etc using more than 1200W trough it and it never has problems tunning them even at high power.The roller inductor feels smooth,the PEP wattmeter is very accurate,capacitors move very smooth as well,in other words its a perfect tuner for any amp no matter how big it be.I payed $400 for this one and I think it was a good investment.

Hector
AD4C

KD5NCO Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2007 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Pleasantly Surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on past MFJ / Ameritron Quality Control issues I was prepared to find cold solder joints, loose or missing hardware, and tight or notchy adjustment controls.

My ATR-30 is perfect in all aspects and works just fine against my Hustler BTV5 compromise vertical. Because I am not a full QRO operator, I highly doubt this tuner will ever be a problem. In fact I bought it for the slight over kill based on my use and needs.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2007 10:05 Send this review to a friend
very good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
purchased mine new in 2002 and it still works flawalessly,i run full 1500 watts pep from my ameritron al-82 and it tunes flat SWR all the time.Im thinking it's a quality control issues with ameritron/mfj. I got lucky and got one that was assembled perfectly.Also the peak meter is very accurate and responsive.I hope you get one of the good ones,they do a great job.

N2EIK Rating: 3/5 Feb 3, 2007 09:00 Send this review to a friend
OK, overpriced.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't seen any flaws as described in some other posts. I have been using it QRO and I like the meters But the meters do not work at all (nature of design) if there isnt any 12v dc going to the tuner. It is sort of inconvenient, but easy to work around (add a plug from my shacks 12 volt rail. All in all I should have never sold my Murch UT2000, that would tune a tin can! Should have bought one on ebay.

N4DEK Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2006 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My ATR-30 is dated 04-2005 and shows none of the defects as described below by another owner. Fact is I looked inside mine to find that it's just the opposite of what he claims he found in his. Everything is well mounted and secure as well as being straight and in line with the cabinet. I have no binding issues what so ever with the roller inductor either. From one end of the cycle to the other it is smooth in it's rotation. Turns counter works great. No rough spot on the antenna selector either. Feels the same going counter clockwise as it does clockwise. All knobs and controls have a good solid feel to them. Metering circut works excellent and seems to be as accurate as anything else these days. Can't explain why others have had problems with this tuner but mine works as advertised. Well worth what I paid for it anyway.

KB9FMV Rating: 0/5 Nov 17, 2005 07:08 Send this review to a friend
MIGHTY FINE JUNK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it over a year and paid $400.00 more like a $300 DOLLAR tuner! Had to replace the roller inductor ! Well MFJ DOES IT AGAIN ! NEVER AGAIN!

N3MX Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2005 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Very nice solid tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now owned the ATR-30 for over a year and run it with an Ameritron AL-1200 legal limit amplifier.
I have operated several contests with it and put a number of hours on this tuner running full legal limit. It has and continues to work flawlessly with very smooth repeatable tuning. I have never experienced any arcing of any kind even on 160 meters.

KC4VFP Rating: 0/5 Aug 4, 2004 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Twice Bitten  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The reason I gave this a "0" is because the roller inductor is a continuing weak link on MFJ products.

The "0" is because this defect could potentially destroy a high power amp, or a radio with poorly protected finals.

See http://kc4vfp.us/atr30_antenna_tuner_problems.html

The roller is pushed back from the surface of the inductor because of this factory defect. The "QC" inspection sticker means nothing.

Lesson to learn: If you feel any extra tension as you rotate the inductor dial, return the unit. This extra tension is caused by the roller inductor supports coming in contact with the roller, and pushing the roller AWAY from the inductor.

To protect your TX, always use a device that senses excessive SWR and interrupts the TX keying line.

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2004 09:07 Send this review to a friend
4 years and still working as new  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update on my review of 4 years ago. Still works like new. No problems, no sparking, no burned parts. I use this with my IC-746 and with an AL-811H amplifier. 10-80 meters is no problem while tuning an MFJ-1798 antenna. I have been able to tune this on 160 meters, too.