Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Palm Portable Key (PPK) Help

Reviews Summary for Palm Portable Key (PPK)
Palm Portable Key (PPK) Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $70
Description: Features of the fully functional miniature straight key:

1. Equipped with a sturdy aluminium housing (black structured powder coating) which perfectly protects the key when locked in the transport position.

2. Ingeniously designed and manufactured in Germany - the PPK was modelled on the famous German Junkers key when it comes to the feel, not the size!

3. Connecting cable - ending in a 3,5mm stereo phone plug - supplied and already attached - through a solid strain relief integrated in the key.

4. Unique way of adjusting the arm tension in six incremental steps - unlike fiddling with a screw, simply change the notch and always have a reproducable arm tension rate.

5. High quality contacts made of 99,8 percent nickel material guarantee longevity and reliability.

6. Precise adjustment of contact spacing through supplied Allen key. 90 degree rotation (quarter turn) changes gap only 0,125mm (0,05").

7. Supplied adjustment key stores conveniently in the Quick Mount base and is always at hand.

8. Quick Mount base which allows a wide range of mounting variations also included.
More info: http://www.palm-radio.de

You can write your own review of the Palm Portable Key (PPK).

K7RNO Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2014 16:57 Send this review to a friend
A gem!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally feel good about this tiny key. It took courage to go for the lowest spring setting and also for the tightest gap possible to make it work for me, and now I'm a very happy camper. Hint: my other key is a Junker.

But first of all, I must issue praise for the guys in Germany who run this outfit: Hannes DL9SCO, my interlocutor, and Dieter, the mechanic. I gave Hannes a hard time, not accepting a 'no' when it came to getting a separate cable. In the end, they stood up to the challenge and produced one flawless sample of this key with a mini stereo jack behind and a cable to connect to the TX. Perfect for my needs and hat off to their commitment and dedication to satisfy one demanding customer. There was no extra charge...

Now to the actual product. It is a neat design, keeping everything very small and light weight yet rigid and precise (with the right setting, see above). The base has two strong magnets built in and will stick to iron parts where you have them. I am still experimenting with the final location of my key but it will likely be on the clip board that I use to make notes and log my contacts.

The retracted key without cable will be stuffed in a very tight pelican-like case with my KX3, a battery and some cables. There was simply not enough space to stuff the key in with the standard cable attached, without damaging the cable.
There are other very compact keys on the market but none is as light as this one, and none as ingeniously designed. For anyone searching for a small-as-possible, light weight, precise straight key, I can recommend this one. And if you must have a separate cable, it can be done (if all else fails by yourself).

M0AEP Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2009 04:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality & value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally bought this key 2 years ago with a view to using on holiday operations but was so impressed and comfortable with it that it now also sits on my operating desk at home and is used as my main CW key. Magnets on base enable it to securely sit on either the small steel base let into the desk or the top of txvr case when /P. This small key adjusts so simply for comfy, positive keying action. Tucks away beautifully in its own case when in transit. Palm have an excellent product and are a great company to deal with over the internet. Very prompt, efficient and helpful service. No hesitation in highly recommending the product and the Palm team.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2007 02:21 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this key since it came out, but it received only light use until recently. A month or so ago I mounted the PPK and a companion Palm Paddle together on a plexiglass base for portable use. After hooking it up in my home shack for testing, I found that the PPK is excellent for fast sending. I can easily do 19 WPM with it when I get "in the groove." The Palm Paddle is excellent, as well.

These may replace my larger keys and paddles in my main station, especially since they are so quiet.

VE3WMB Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2007 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my PPK from Morse Express. I also have the Palm Paddles and my very positive experience with them is what prompted me to purchase the PPK. I wanted a small straight key that I could use for SKCC contacts while operating my K1 or Sierra on portable outings to parks etc. but this key has such a good feel I am likely to use it a home as well.

So far I love the PPK. It has a very good solid feel, no wobbles and in spite of the small size it is very easy to send good code at a reasonable speed. As I previous reviewer stated "it has the right click". What is also great is that this key is compatible with the base used for the Palm Mini paddle and I already have a homebrew magnetic legstrap mount which I can now also use with the PPK.

I really like the tension adjustment scheme .. very simple but effective and lets you vary the tension without tools. Someone mentioned that they would prefer that the cable detached from the key, but IMHO it is better attached as it is one less thing I am liable to forget to pack for a portable operating outing.

This is perhaps the ultimate portable straight key !

Michael VE3WMB

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 02:36 Send this review to a friend
What a nice key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought mine in Friedrichshafen this year and it works great. The only thing I missed was the magnets together with the quick mount. The portable key and a mini paddle is always connected with my IC-703. A mini paddle is used for the IC-7000 and I am planning to buy a third mini paddle for my FT-817...Great company and very friendly people. I had a long chat with them in Friedrichshafen and I wonder what great toy they are planning to produce next...

DL2BAT Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2006 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Perfect "click" feeling - great key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi,

Just recently I received the Palm Portable Key (PPK), and guess what I started to do all my CW QSOs with that key. I joined the German Navy a while ago for some years and was the radio operator on ship, so I learned and practised all communication with a Junker key. I am very picky with keyers in general, since they all have a different feeling. To find a key with the right "click" is a huge task and sometimes you find the right one only by accident. You know what I mean. But this key exceeds my expectations. I like the way how the key feels - just the right "click" - and I checked different PPKs. They all feel the same. The head can be fully protected by sliding it back into the housing (great idea!). The precise adjustments indicate great engineering and quality. The magnets can be ordered separately. With a slight pressure they snap in into the holes at the mounting base. You will never loose the magnets. But I don't need them, since I use the key directly in front of me with both hands to get my speed (22-28wpm - yes, it's possible easily!). This key motivates me to practice more and more the good old technique, and I wish more hams would contribute so to get it's own and unique morse code handwriting personality back again. But this is another story... :-)
Finally the key looks cool and fits perfectly to my FT897D and FT817. This is a keeper. Great job guys! 73 -uli (DL2BAT)

OZ1ES Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2006 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Good portable QRP key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my PKK and had a few QSO with it. The key has a very nice feel to it and the construction is first class.

The key can be used handheld or with the base attached to the rig, table or what ever.

Two minor grips: The magnets are not supplied for the quickmount and I would have preferred that the cable could be detached as the Mini Paddle or CodeCube (3.5 mm jack).