Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Sony MDR-V6 Help

Reviews Summary for Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR-V6 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $110.00
Description: The Sony MDR-V6 are a pair of circumaural, closed back stereo headphones, featuring a wide, extended frequency reproduction, neutral playback, and a convenient cable cable with a 10' extension. The earcups and headband are padded and adjustable for comfortable extended wear and a secure fit.

The MDR-V6 headphones are recommended for recording, monitoring and mixing, and are particularly effective when connected to electronic keyboards and synthesizers because of their high output and unusually extended 30 kHz high end reproduction.

You can write your own review of the Sony MDR-V6.

KD4ONT Rating: 3/5 May 16, 2016 23:04 Send this review to a friend
Seems okay for ham radio, but for music, I don't care for them.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My v6 is getting close to 10 years old. I think one side might have a blown driver. The pads are flaking. I just placed an order for genuine sony replacement pads so I have something to use for field day. I hooked them up, for the first time, to my kenwood 480 today. They sounded decent. They heard weak cw that my external speaker couldn't reproduce. Last year at field day, I used the set of cans that was already there. They were sony and the pads had a bad case of pad dandruff. I'll probably bring my v6, with new pads, to field day. They sounded good for ham radio but anemic for music, for my ears. They also, probably because of impedance mismatch, have low volume on smartphones and could use a headphone amp.
KN3U Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2014 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an audio engineer, I've used these phones for many years. Every sound engineer I know prefers them for their comfort and accuracy. Replacement cushions are available at B&H Photo, among other places. The cloth after-market cushions are nice, but so are the original. The MDR-7506 phones are similar, but less accurate than the MDR-V6. Sony went out of production on the V6's for a while and recommended the 7506 model as a replacement, but they were persuaded to bring the original V6 design back.
W8TG Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2010 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Nice Surprise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought these headphones to listen to music after reading the outstanding reviews it received. Just for kicks I decided to try them with my HF transceiver on the CW subbands not expecting them to be satisfactory for that sort of use. I found a very weak signal way down in the noise and then switched to my regular headphones - the signal was gone, switched to the sony and it was back. Tried earbuds and it was the same thing. The Sony made the undetectable signal quite readable. Needless to say they're now my "HAM" headphones. Highly recommended and very reasonably priced on Amazon. Regards, Michael
KD6ANF Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2009 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased a pair of these wonderful headphones back in '85 and they're still sounding wonderfully! These headphones along with my Sony WM-D6 portable cassette recorder is a winning combination. Over the years I've made many live recordings of birds, concerts and even commuter trains on the way to work in the very early morning hours. The surface coating on the earpad cushion rings and the center foam ear cushions on mine are completely worn out and needs replacing. Thanks Martin and Rob about mentioning the availability of replacements parts! For the money these headphones are hard to beat and produce exceptionally good sound.

Best regards

george potter KD6ANF
K6RSG Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2006 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Virtually Identical to MDR-7506  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are virtually identical to the Sony MDR-7506 headphones, and available at a very reasonable price.

Over the years I have used both models extensively. The aesthetic differences (surface of insulation of cable, etc.) are insignificant.

Save a few dollars and get the V6 unless you prefer the moniker of the 7506.

Both models have proven to be extremely durable and have lasted me for years w/o any wear to the cable, strain releif, headbands, etc. The only issues are the surface coating on the earpad cushion rings and the center foam ear cushions. Over time (measured in years) each will begin to breakdown. They are easily replaceable, inexpensive and readily available from Sony and their distributors. And, Sony also offers cloth comfort earpad covers, if perspiration is a problem.

Very 73,