Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | K4POZ Screwdriver Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for K4POZ Screwdriver Antenna
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $229
Description: Mobile,portable,fixed station and limited space compact multi-band screwdriver antenna.
More info: http://www.mindspring.com/~k4poz/

You can write your own review of the K4POZ Screwdriver Antenna.

W4KLC Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2015 14:51 Send this review to a friend
good product  Time owned: more than 12 months
you can spend your money any way you want to,your choice.ihave owned a k4poz screwdriver antenna,for several years now,i have had this antenna in all types of environment.the antenna tunes as it should.i also run a kw amplifier,and the antenna handles it fine.one of the best screwdriver antenna on the market today and for the money it is the best..

WA4ALA Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2011 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I frst met Ron at the Marietta Hamfest in 2007, and found him to be a true gentleman. He was extremely helpful to me, a newbie at the time. I purchased a K4POZ antenna from him and subsequently mounted it on the tool box of my Nissan pickup. I use a Kenwood TS50S with the AT50 tuner in this pickup to drive the Screwdriver antenna and find the performance to be excellent. I have band limits marked in black on the clear lexan cover and adjust the antenna to the band I am on, hit the autotuner and away I go. I have made world wide contacts with this antenna and find it to be both reliable and easy to use. I rate the antenna a solid 5 and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good inexpensive adjustable mobile antenna. As a bit of further information, I purchased a second screwdriver antenna from Ron at a later date, mounted it to a fence post just outside my shack window and use it for a vertical antenna, driving it with a Kenwood AT520S again with excellent results with contacts all over the world using only the barefoot output of the Kenwood transceiver. My rating again is a solid 5. Good going Ron, keep up the good work!!!

KG4MUW Rating: 1/5 Jul 23, 2011 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Fair performer, mechanically unsound, DUCT TAPE of all things  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My antenna had problems immediately. I spent a lot of time trying to change the feed point arrangement and power configuration thinking that was the reason it would not tune on 10M. I finally figured out that something was loose inside. I can push it up or down manually which means something is slipping or stripped inside the antenna. It gets out of sync and if you run it all the way up and then push it up the rest of the way with your hand it will behave fine for a while. At least until it gets out of sync again.

It was so weak at the base I had to tap in a couple of additional screws to stabilize it. On the back of my truck it was moving left to right so much it was about to break off. I bought it in February and discussed the problems with the manufacturer in June 2011. He offered nothing more than advice as to how to disassemble it so I could possibly figure out what might be the problem and fix it myself. When I told him I had it in the parking lot at the hamfest in June, he was uninterested in taking a look at his product. So, if you have a problem, you are on your own to fix it yourself. Don't waste your time. Buy a product with a warranty.

UPDATE July 23, 2011:
This is a follow up to an earlier review. It does not revise the rating but it does provide additional information about the product design. I disassembled the antenna July 23, 2011 as recommended by manufacturer back in June 2011.

To my disbelief, the motor is secured (or unsecured) in the PVC pipe with duct tape of all things. This coupled with the other mechanical problems has convinced me to remove this antenna from service. I can fix just about anything, but I don't think it's worth repairing.

KG4MUW Rating: 1/5 Jul 1, 2011 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Good performer but mechanically unsound  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My antenna had problems immediately. I spent a lot of time trying to change the feed point arrangement and power thinking that was the reason it would not tune on 10M. I finally figured out that something was loose inside. I can push it up or down manually which means something is slipping or stripped inside the antenna. It gets out of sync and if you run it all the way up and then push it up the rest of the way with your hand it will behave fine for a while. At least until it gets out of sync again.

It was so weak at the base I had to tap in a couple of additional screws to stabilize it. On the back of my truck it was moving left to right so much it was about to break off. I bought it in February and confronted Ron in June about the problems. He offered nothing more that advice as to how to disassemble it so I could possibly figure out what might be the problem and fix it myself. When I told him I had it in the parking lot at the hamfest in June, he was uninteresting in taking a look at his product. So, if you have a problem, you are on your own to fix it yourself. Don't waste your time. Buy a product with a warranty.

WD4DX Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2009 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna a few weeks ago, and finally got it mounted on my Silverado. When I got this antenna installed, I started tuning around and followed K4POZ's instructions to the "T". Once the antenna is resonant, just "bump it" to get to the lowest SWR/highest power output and you're ready to go! I've worked more stations with this antenna punching through little pile-ups in the past few weeks than I've ever worked mobile! Great Antenna, Ron! I have already shown this off at my local club meeting, and several have stated they now see the value and plan on purchasing!

I have no ties to K4POZ other than an extremely satisfied customer and would recommend this antenna not only for the modest price, but also the tremendous performance that you get from the antenna!

NA4IT Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2006 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Very good product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one of Pozy's antennas used from a friend, and installed it on Mountianeer. I run an Icom 706MKIIG with it and love it. I don't use any special controllers, as I have mine marked and can see it through the driver's side rearview mirror. I adjust it to the mark, hit the tune button on my 706 (I have one of the boards that makes the button work) and fine tune it.

I do not use the normal whip on top of mine. I use a 3/8 aluminum rod on a spring that extends about 18 inches above the antenna, with a 3/8 coupling nut and stinger off a hamstick antenna on the very top. That way it doesn't beat and bang the antenna to death when hitting trees or the McDonald's drive thru! The whip does move about a little, but I have found no drawbacks to running it that way. It is a little more narrow banded, but is not a problem, since the screwdriver tunes from daylight to dark anyway!

Good product! I have run a multiband Hustler setup, and this is FAR better!

K6YUM Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2006 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in a development that does not allow antennas. I wanted a compact antenna I could place in the middle of our small rear garden that would allow broadband coverage that was difficult to see. I saw the K4POZ antenna at the Charleston, SC ham fest and was impressed with the construction.

I purchased this antenna and have been very pleasantly surprised. My K4POZ is mounted on a 4X4 wooden pole that is 10 feet tall in the back yard. I have 7 ground radials made of aluminium wire below the antenna and a heavy wire to a ground directly below it.

I run an Icom 703 QRP rig at 10 watts on SSB. On 20, 17 and 15 meters I can regularly work North and South America, all of Europe and at times Siberia on SSB and Asia on CW, if the bands are open. I am able to work 75 and 40 meters with good results. When Band conditions require, I kick in my small transistor linear which can give me up to 400 watts PEP. The antenna will take a KW. While I cannot hold my own against power house stations with a 6 element beams, most often if I can hear the station, I can work the station with 10 to 60 watts.

The antenna is continuous tuning from 75 meters to 10 meters via the electric screwdriver in the antenna. Initially I marked resonate points on the antenna and would look from the shack window at the antenna to set the antenna close to a resonate point. I have added an MFJ Controller (MFJ-1922) to make this job easier. I have a card marked with resonate points on the MFJs counter. The antenna tunes well with SWR almost eliminated. I never use the IC 703s tuner or any other tuner with the antenna.

The antenna is simple to install, whether it is for mobile, fixed, portable or limited space use. The instructions are adequate. If you have any problems, K4POZ is very helpful. I have also used the antenna in my mobile installation with outstanding performance.

There is a second entry on eHam about this antenna marked Screwdriver antenna. This operator rates the K4POZ highly as a mobile and portable antenna. I would not hesitate to acquire a second K4POZ screwdriver antenna. It is a fantastic bargain for the price.