Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-275A/H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-275A/H
ICOM IC-275A/H Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $800
Description: VHF Radio
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-275h.asp

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-275A/H.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2008 14:03 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this rig(275H)about 2 years.I has GREAT ears & transmit audio.It did NOT hear as well as my Kenwood TR-751A which I sold to buy this rig but it was VERY close.I am an ICOM MAN but I just bought another KENWOOD TR-751A because of it's ears.The 100 watts output is a plus & I would be VERY happy if I owned the 275H again.It does EVERYTHING a GREAT 2 meter ALL MODE should.A++++ rig & ICOM dependability! }:>)

K3TD Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2007 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Superb performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my IC-275H about 4 years ago and have been extremely impressed with the TX and RX performance. My primary use is SSB but have also used it on CW and FM. The receiver is crunch-proof and great for contesting. My version of the radio has the Data Level adjustment instead of Passband Tuning - that is the only thing that could make it any better. The mode scanning of memories is a nice feature for FM use. This radio is on anytime I am in the shack - sure wish I could find an IC-475H to sit beside it in the shack!

Tad, K3TD
EM10dq

G1LOE Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m multimode  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well what can i add to the previous reviews? not a lot, got mine from a friend in exchange for some surplus equipment, it is most decidedly a keeper, the only thing to have failed on it are the four bulbs behind the display and s meter, but replaced with led's as cheaper, (Just a bit dimmer) so may cough up the extremely expensive for what they are bulbs and do it properly, audio is excellent, using the standard hand mic, i have the HM56A with the dtmf pad on the rear for eqso/Echolink .
best set i have had and will be holding on to unless someone offers me serious money.

VK5FX Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2006 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m All Mode Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
G'day, initial RX problem on purchase (bought the IC-275H second hand, delivered via post). Probably something just came loose during transit. (Queried my Yahoo Group - Amateur-repairs). Did the well advised, open, dissect & clean. No problems now, thanks to the Yahoo Group... Thanks guys. Now time to sit back and enjoy a truly fantastic rig. If you get the chance, buy one and enjoy !!

G0FVT Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2006 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is the IC275E which is the European version of the 25w rig, differences with the 275A are very slight. I have owned this radio for roughly 10 years.

This is a radio I had wanted for a long time before i bought it, mine is stock other than having CW filter, I trawled around to get a tidy example with the PBT instead of the data-level control. (I believe a copyright issue was the reason that Pass Band Tuning was removed from later models although it can stil be fitted).

Very pleased with the radio, it has performed extremely well on SSB and FM. It drives my tetrode amplifier and produces a good narrow clean signal. I have only had one negative criticism on air, it seems the Icoms speech compression caused a little spreading. In fairness to the radio I was beamed straight at the station that observed it and we were 60+ over 9 signals each way, he had previously been impressed by the narrowness of my signal before I ran the compression. He used to have one of these radios himself and says he ran external compression as he had observed the same with his rig.

The controls that "pop out" for adjustment and then can be pushed flush with the fascia are a deterrent to accidental fiddling in multi-operator contesting and similar, the receiver is sensitive with a good dynamic range.

The display is very clear, and the controls logically laid out, the internal speaker sounds quite good as it is bolted securely to a diecast heatsink assembly, all in all a very pleasant radio to use. For FM use CTCSS encode as standard is another plus.

IW0HOU Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2006 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Oldies goldies  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One of the "Oldies but goldies" rigs from ICOM.
I had the H (high power, 100W) version: great RTX for VHF SSB contests with a superb receiver, the best I ever heard (TS711, FT897, TS2000) on 2 meters.
If you're seriously working on VHF, a 275H in good shape is probably the best you can have with an affordable price.

73, IW0HOU

W4KTX Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2005 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great rig. I managed to pick one up off of eBay for a good price from the daughter of a SK. These are really getting hard to find, but if you find one, buy it.

The first thing I noticed was the outstanding receive audio, and I get great transmit audio reports as well. I also like that fact that there are no menus. There is a button or a knob for everything. Very easy to program, and it is nice having 100 watts available for tranmit on all modes

This one is a keeper. I will not be selling this any time soon.

N0WF Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2005 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent overall  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the Icom 275H in 1992, it has been a great weak signal and all around 2 meter base rig. Specifications second to none. Check 'em. Is it perfect? No, but there is/was nothing better than the 275H when it was new and there still isn't anything better. Had to send it in for alignment and got new panel bulbs and a lithium battery after 13 years and thousands of hours use. The 100% full duty cycle rating says it all, the x75 series of Icom Radios is superb.

K1ECW Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2005 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Buy One Today  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a definite 2 meter enthusiast and this is THE transceiver for 2 meters!!! I've had Yaesu, Kenwood, and ICOM multiband rigs and even tried the ICOM 910h; but, the 275H beats them all on the 2 meter band.

The receive is simply the when used WITHOUT the pre-amp. With the pre-amp it's pure heaven.

I use an electret SM-8 mic and get the best audio reports ever. With the optional filtered ICOM speaker, you don't want to eat, sleep, or go to work!

I just can't understand why ICOM quit building this one. It's got to be the world's best all mode 2 meter rig -- EVER.

If you can find one, but it today!

N2ETJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2005 07:36 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried just about every all mode 2 meter rig and have found no better than the 275H. Great for weak signals, cw, arora, really pulls the weak ones out....get fantastic audio reports on FM and SSB.. nice to have 100 watts..great for driving that amp. There is something to be said for a monoband radio... if you can find one, buy it, you wont be sorry...73 Rick