Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Heathkit AT-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit AT-1
Heathkit AT-1 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $29.95 kit
Description: Heaths first CW kit Transmitter. 80 to 10 meters.
25 watts input to 6L6.

You can write your own review of the Heathkit AT-1.

AB3MO Rating: 4/5 Dec 11, 2016 15:26 Send this review to a friend
A Classic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A Ham classic. Perhaps more Novices got on the air with this than almost any other transmitter -- EVER! W1ZAK LOANED me his after he became a General Class.
Never got an RF burn.
December 2019 QST has a retrospective review of an AT-1. Never realized it had so many intrinsic problem, but was never "bitten"!
Good rating based on the era of use. Today, would = ? perhaps.

K2GBH Rating: 3/5 Jul 26, 2012 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Affordable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The AT-1 , AC-1 and VF-1 comprised my second transmitter set up in June 1954. The first was a homebrew 6AG7-6L6 so this was not a really big step up!

Back in those days, power was measured as the final's input. I think that we all would have been shocked if we knew how little power out the 6L6 audio tube was generating -- especially above 7 Mhz or megacycles as was the terminology used then.

At least I stated off with a decent receiver, the Hallicrafter SX-28.

'Affordable' was paramount for a newsboy's income!

N1BIC Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2012 20:13 Send this review to a friend
First transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 1954 I got on the air as WN0WLS in Wichita, KS. The AT-1 was rock bound and I chased CW stations with a drifting Hallicrafters S-40B receiver into a folded dipole and a home made vertical out of the Handbook. I was 13 years old at the time.

I had a ball and now have over 50 years of amateur radio under my belt. The AT-1 was the most exciting. I souped it up with an 807 final with the help of my Elmer, Des Stanton (W0SPF - SK).

I still have an AT-1 and a S-40B, but now it seems like a lot of work compared to new radios.

AC7DX Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2007 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Great beginner  Time owned: months
My first transmitter in 1954 with a Hallicrafters s-40B.Xtal control on what I think I remember was 7180 in the novice band as WN0TMI in Wichita Kansas.
What a blast
Ron

W0EAJ Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2007 12:15 Send this review to a friend
First of the Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
The first xmtr. I ever used - look up K6NCG on Google and see the young sailor in front of a "rebuilt" one. Just a year ago, I got a basket-case (no exaggeration), built it as a new kit, and used it on Straight Key Night w/my HBR-11 receiver. Just finished "resurrecting" a VF-1, so "Hey Mom! No more xtals!".. So simple, it taught volumes to the young Novice... especially about the hazards of cathode keyed rigs - OUCH!

N7QF Rating: 3/5 Dec 19, 2006 13:05 Send this review to a friend
My very first xmtr  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my very first xmtr. I was about 16 then.
I remember getting an RF burn from the feed line once. I liked its simplicity and it worked.

W5LXG Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2006 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Wish I had it back  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Moved into an apartment and without room for antenna. Had about 30 feet of wire, stuck one end in the antenna output (phooey on SWR and ignored having a ground). Threw the wire on top of a metal carport and called CQ. Since the meter moved, I assumed I was putting out juice. First answer was Tahiti. Found myself broke and had upcoming date, so sold my AT-1 for $20. Now at age 65, can't remember the girl, but wish I had my AT-1 back.

K7UA Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2006 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Fun old rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
A ham that was moving gave me an AT1 in about 1969. I was a general then and played around with it as a second or third rig. It had a bad capacitor that killed 20M. I fixed it up and had a lot of fun. In the spirit that I received it, I gave it to a young kid as a new novice in about 1972. He is still licensed 30+ years later so I guess it was a good investment.

W0CKI Rating: 3/5 Jan 10, 2006 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Wish I still had mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was a new new ham in Omaha Ne, licensed in 1954 and at the ham club 1954 Xmas party won an AT 1.
Brought it home, my Dad was with me, also a ham, and we thought, well what do we do with this? He had 8 zillion watts, a big antenna and also was a big time DX dude. Any way we built it, worked great and I had a ball with it for, I really don't remember how long I used it. Sure wish I had it today, those were great years!!

W8UDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2006 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Book Ends  Time owned: more than 12 months
As I sit here tonight learning all of the miraculous functions and features of my new, pre-retirement, Orion II, I only have to glance up and see my AT-1, AC-1, and VF-1. Of course, the S-38C still completes the functions of my first “shack” from the early 1950’s. As incredible as the Orion II is, it will never have the impact on my life that the AT-1 had. That simple three tube transmitter opened up the world to a 10 year old kid and, because of what ham radio gave to me in my formative years, helped shape my values and goals for the rest of my life. The Orion and the AT-1 symbolize, to me, book ends to my professional life. I know that I could get many hundreds of dollars for this “rig” on e-bay, but, its value to me is immeasurable. And, it will always be the central focus of my operating position.