Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Dentron Clipperton 10-160 Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Clipperton 10-160
Dentron Clipperton 10-160 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $699.99
Description: demtrondx-4
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Dentron Clipperton 10-160.

WA2CCN Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2001 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Watts per $$$  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Clipperton-L when they first came on the market, and I'm still using it. Nice, attractive, desk-top kilowatt at a reasonable price. Originally I drive the "L" with a FT-101ZD. The "ZD" had a pair of 6146's in the final (~ 140W output with a fresh set of 6146's)that drove the "L" to about 800-900 watts output. Lots of power on CW and my SSB reports were always clean audio. Since the "L"'s output was only a couple db down from other "legal limit" amplifiers, I never have a problem competing in DX pile-ups. Tune-up is easy. Since the "ZD" had plate and load tuning, I could "match" the input impedance of the "L" for that little bit extra power. Modern solid state transceivers probably won't drive the "L" to these same power levels. First of all, they only put out ~ 100W, and secondly a lot of them are designed to work into a 50 ohm load only. My new TS-870 (with auto antenna tuner) loads into the "L' very nicely and gets me 700-800 watts output (on soft 872's). Never had a problem with the "L" - it's been great. I also bought a Clipperton-V, 2-meter amp with a single 4CX250B in it - had problems with stability - never did get it running right - sold it - but I've still got my "L". BTW, I run the "L" off 220VAC, not 110VAC. Yeah, I'd recommend buying one if you can finde one in good condition.
Hank - WA2CCN