Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | MFJ 911 4:1 Balun Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 911 4:1 Balun
MFJ  911  4:1 Balun Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $$19.95
Description: 300 watt, 4:1 current balun also comes as Model 912 1:1 current balun
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ 911 4:1 Balun.

PG00023016 Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2012 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Very Handy 911H  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find it interesting how some hams refuse to employ their equipment for its intended purpose and then come back to give a 0-5 review as if it is somehow the fault of the company who made the item. The instructions clearly state in more than one location that this balun/unun is for indoor use and away from the weather. Mine has performed flawlessly for ten years (without the added use of Tupperware). These are well built and work well for their intended purpose.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2011 23:42 Send this review to a friend
No Problem Here.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use mine with a 105 ft. center fed zepp with no issues. My LDG baluns would get warm to the touch and this one does not. MFJ provides a good product at a very decent price. I'm buying a second one for portable use.

WB4TJH Rating: 0/5 Jan 16, 2008 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Puny  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It started out OK, but few months after I wrote the above review, the balun shorted out. I was running my Kenwood TS-570SG at about 90 watts out. The thin insulation on the internal wires apparently shorted out. Since then, I have bought a DX Engineering Balun. It cost more, but the DX Engineering balun is built like a battleship. Since then I have had no more problems. I should have bought the DX Eng. balun in the first place. Live and learn. The MFJ would be OK for qrp, but it's "supposedly" rated for 300 watts. Yeah, right...mine shorted out with less than a 100 watts. You get what you pay for....

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2006 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this balun to allow me to get my 300ohm window line outside the house with a short coaxial feedline to the balun. I feed a 75 meter dipole with the balanced feed line for use as an all band antenna. I got tired of having to disconnect the two antenna leads to my autotuner when I finished operating, and also did not like the balanced feedline coming thru the same one inch hole in the wall as a couple of other coaxes. The MFJ balun is not weatherproofed, so I first drove a fence pole in the ground, just outside the hole in the wall. I then confiscated a Tupperware container from my wife and mounted the balun inside and the Tupperware container to the metal pole with heavy duty tie wraps. I cut a couple of holes in the plastic tupperware lid for my coax and twinlead. With the tupperware top snapped in place and the holes caulked with silicon sealer, the balun is now nice and dry, despite the heavy rains we can get here in south Florida. I am using a six foot coax jumper from the balun, thru the wall to my SGC MAC-200 autotuner. My Kenwood TS-570s tunes thru the autotuner just as well as it did using the built in balun in the tuner. It has a higher rating (300 watts) versus the 200 watt rating of the built in tuner balun. I took the balun apart and looked inside. There are two large toroids wound with teflon coated wire, so everything looked well put together. So the unit seems well made, ruggedly built and works as advertised.