Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Orbitron Satellite Tracking Help

Reviews Summary for Orbitron Satellite Tracking
Orbitron Satellite Tracking Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $FREE!!
Description: Tracks most space vehicles and controls az/el.
More info: http://www.stoff.pl

You can write your own review of the Orbitron Satellite Tracking.

KB2HSH Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2007 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Great...and Vista friendly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I came across Orbitron while viewing Randy, K7AGE's YouTube video about the AO-51 satellite. He made it look very easy, indeed. So, after a quick download from the stoff.pl website, I was in business. On the low end, it works great with my 233 MHz Sony VAIO laptop with 32 MB of RAM, as well as my Windows Vista Ultimate/AMD Athlon monster at home on the high end.
The interface is highly customizable and can be altered to suit your own desires. (I personally enjoy the ability to lose the blue cartoonish screen for the realistic landscape background.) As was mentioned before by another reviewer, I too, do not use it for rotor control, but it is nice to get a rough estimate of Doppler shift. When I lose the satellite due to fading (I don't use a preamp) at least I can see where it approximately is.

Fantastic program for HAM SATS, as well as utility , weather, etc.

KB2HSH
FN03

W5TD Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2007 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Worth the price of admission!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was using another program in demo mode, but got tired of having to reenter all of the sats when I restarted the program, so went looking for a free program. I couldn't get another one to download and work correctly, but found Orbitron based on its eham.net review.

Download and setup was very self explanatory. I haven't had to yet look at the on-line manual or help file to get it up and going. Have it tracking the 4 sats I am interested in, and it does a good job. Very simple yet powerful program to use.

Now I only use it for satellite tracking, I don't have it controlling the rig or rotor, so can't comment on how it does those things, but for satellite tracking it is fine. You can list pass predictions for 3 days in the future, and only list passes that reach a certain elevation.

It was free and is worth every penny I paid for it :)

73s and see you on the sats

John AA5JG

K7MBL Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2006 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Always looking for something good 'n free, I came across Orbitron while surfing around. Loaded it up and gave it a try. Everyting fell into place, and is easy to use. It even compensates for doppler and tells you were to tune in. Appears to be accurate. It's easy to plug in your own resources, I use Space-Track most of the time. So far I'm pretty happy with it. We'll give 'er some time and see how it goes. But hey, for the price, I can live with a querk or two. BTW, there is a Linux beta version that the author says should be released soon. Looking forward to it!