Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | KD1JV Tenna Dipper Help

Reviews Summary for KD1JV Tenna Dipper
KD1JV Tenna Dipper Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $25.00
Description: Designed by Steve "Melt Solder" Weber, KD1JV, the "Tenna Dipper" is a low power antenna analyzer and ATU tuning aid. With this handy accessory, you can determine the 50 Ohm resonance frequency of antennas or you can adjust your antenna tuner for a 50 Ohm match without generating QRM. Powered by a 9 volt battery, the "Tenna Dipper" can be built into an Altoids tin and used either in the shack or in the field.

More info: http://4sqrp.com/kits/td/td.htm

You can write your own review of the KD1JV Tenna Dipper.

W9WLW Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2016 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Terrific  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found the kit very easy to build and it worked the very first time I added power. I lost a case screw and wrote Pacific Antenna an email requesting an additional case screw, and they quickly responded and sent me new case screws at no charge.

VE1HAO Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2009 12:26 Send this review to a friend
The best $25 I've spent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a terrific bargain -- a good little piece of test gear, and a kit that is extremely well thought out. I hadn't done any building for nearly 20 years but had no trouble at all.

It works really well; the only fly in the ointment for some of us will be that even the slow readout of the frequency will be a little fast for rusty CW. There is an output for a counter, though... Lots of potential to gild the lily with built-in counters (e.g., KD1JV Digital Dial), 10-turn pots, bigger switches etc.

My only complaint is that the kit has been discontinued -- a real shame,because this one is a winner. I hope someone makes it available again, if only because I want to build another couple to give away to friends.

KC7FYS Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2007 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Good kit, even for a doofus!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put mine together with a couple minor mods: jumpers into SPST switches, slightly fancier case, 10-turn pot. It's a nice little kit, and I'm still trying to learn now to use it.
Documentation lacks slightly in how to set it up--at least for a person like myself who needs a bit more hand-holding, but friendly elmers online have been um, elmering.
Look at it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmA9ahj2VXk
Jonathan

M0NDE Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2006 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Nice kit to build  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built the kit in an afternoon. Mods so far. Changed tuner pot to work clockwise as frequency increases. Added digital frequency display from a pound radio, cut away unrequired board. Added rotary switch for band change in place of dip switches, and slider switches for on/off and high/low. Added edge meter for better dip indication beats the led hands down. Next thing is to put whole thing in a case. A poor mans analyser for a few quid. Excellent fun, recommended. Nigel M0NDE UK

KB5JO Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2006 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Easy to build and cheap too!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second kit after building the VE3DNL Marker Generator, working up my courage toward building an SST. The Tenna Dipper goes together extremely well, I even got to wind my first toroid. The dipper worked the first time it was turned on. The little frequency meter pounding out the frequency in Morse code is really cute. I think that every Ham ought to own one of these simple, inexpensive, and very useful tools.

KG0WX Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2006 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Nice shack tool - great value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one of those kits that just plain works. It's one of those products that more hams should know about.

I trimmed the right corners of the PC board and the whole thing, including 9v battery, fit in a standard Altoid's tin. Neat! I only had to drill 1 hole for the pigtail antenna lead. My unit is held in place in the tin with commercial sticky putty.

The unit does have a few imperfections but hey - it's only $25! It drifts a bit - say 100 khz down drift in 4 minutes after powering on. Not too bad. I couldn't find a way to slow the freq readout (sent in CW @ 27 wpm) but the more I use it the better my CW skills get, which is a good thing.

One tip - the power switch and hi/low range switch are computer headers (like the master/slave jumpers on a hard drive) and picking them off the pins in the case was not easy. I fixed this by jamming toothpicks in the headers and securing them with a bead of hot glue. Now my jumpers look like little brooms.

The Tenna Dipper won't tell you what a MFJ-269 will but you won't shell out $300 either. At $25 shipped, it's a real bargain!