Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Logikey K-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Logikey K-5
Logikey K-5 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: This new keyer improves on the world famous Logikey K-3 keyer. Unmatched feature list, with the best operator interface available. See web site for full and complete details.

Makes sending perfect CW smooth and effortless!

New additional features include: Greater protection against voltage spikes, lightning etc.; All stainless hardware; Internal volume control; Updated enclosure design; 3-AAA cells will run keyer for months, or accepts 9-12 volts DC.

Much superior to your rig's "Free" built-in keyer -- you deserve far better and here it is!
More info: http://www.idiompress.com

You can write your own review of the Logikey K-5.

NP4H Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2016 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Greayt Service / Great Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a CW lover, this keyer is the best money can buy. And not only that, Wayne (N0UN) of Ham Supply is very punctual and you get your order quick once placed. Order with confidence, you will not be disappointed.

AA4VV Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2016 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a K-3 for 10 years or so, and it has always performed
flawlessly. Recently, I turned it on and it started sending a string
of dots. I checked all the cables and key but could find nothing
wrong. The next time I turned it on nothing happened. It was dead.

So I ordered a new K-5 which came promptly and has been working great.
When I mentioned to Wayne (N0UN) that my old K-3 was no longer
working, he asked me to send it to him as he could probably fix it.
In about a week I got an email saying that he had fixed my old K-3 and
was returning it. There was no charge!

That kind of service is hard to beat. The K-3 and the K-5 are
excellent keyers. I would recommend the K-5 because it does
everything I want a keyer to do. You simply cannot improve upon the
service Ham Supply provides.

K5UA Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2016 14:10 Send this review to a friend
One thing missing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Would like to give this keyer a 5, but there is one highly desirable feature missing from this keyer and that is.....variable dash/dot ratio keying. For about 20 years now, variable dash/dot ratio keying has been standard on Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom transceivers. Variable dash/dot ratio keying is not to be confused with CW "weight". Adding "weight" to keying adds extended length to both dots and dashes, as opposed to variable dash/dot ratio keying which only adds length to the dashes. This gives a very musical swing to the CW and makes it easier to send and copy. The dash/dot ratio of "perfect" CW is a 3:1 ratio, but this makes CW sound inhuman and dull. Extending the dash/dot ratio out to 3.4:1, or 3.6:1 adds musicality to CW and therefore makes it easier to send. This would be a wonderful addition to the next iteration of the Logikey line of keyers.

A more accurate rating would be a 4.9, but that is not possible with the present rating system. The micro ham external keyer has this variable dash/dot ratio feature, but it is not a stand-alone keyer like the Logikey keyers.

Com'on LogiKey, how about a K-6 with variable dash/dot ratio keying.

V73NS Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2016 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Available again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Glad to see these are available again from Ham Supply (formerly Idion Press).

I was looking to buy a second one and saw there was a period of time they were not available. Glad they are back so I can get a second one for vacation home.

Best keyer out there! Simple to operate, operates off DC or battery, speed pot on the front, well built. Great having six memories. I use 1-3 for simplex and if I split I have 4-6 already programmed.

Also great for contests.

I have my first one modified with a remote connector on the back for an external switch bank I can put in front of me.

Ordering the second one soon.
Best keyer I'd owned and I am 100% CW.

G3VCN Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2015 10:07 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used Samson keyers since the 1970s which are no longer manufactured. The software in the k5 is identical.
It has every facility required for a cw op.
I am sure that the new business will look at previous reviews and consider any cosmetic changes.
This keyer has made me a happy bunny for Christmas.
I would highly recommend it.
paul G3VCN

NN6R Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2015 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Fits my desk nicely. Love having the buttons on top.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found that the info as to being out of production not to be true. Purchased by Ham Supply last month, they have cleaned up backorders and shipping product. I ordered on a Friday noon and received my keyer in Mondays mail.
I needed to clear up an ordering issue and got a response to my e-mail within an hour. Great Service.

Wayne NN6R

ZL4AX Rating: 3/5 Aug 25, 2013 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Bizarro Superman's Keyer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Imagine a Stradivarius violin made out of old bean cans and bashed into a jagged shape. That's the kind of mess that Logikey have made of manufacturing the world's best keyer! If you've read 'Superman' comics since the 1960's like I have, you'll recognise this description as something from the 'Bizarro' world where eveything is faulty, negligent and broken.
I bought this to key my second rig alongside my Samson ETMCOG9-X3, which is the same unit by another manufacturer, now obsolete. But although the functions of the Logikey should be identical, the quality and care in manufacture is inferior in every way. Let's list a few flaws:
1). The case is double the size of the Samson but contains less. 2).The metal case is badly bent and mis-aligned. 3).There's no 'off' switch. 4). The K5 uses AAA batteries instead of AA size, only 30% of the capacity. 5).The labels for the top panel buttons are ON THE BOTTOM of the case (huh? was the guy on acid?) 6). The main speed knob is badly positioned at the bottom so your fingers can't turn it without striking the table top. 7). The feet are too flat and needed replacing to lift the unit. 8). The monitor speaker is on the BOTTOM so it is muffled and audio is distorted by reflections from the table top. 9).The battery holder inside is jammed between the main chip and the case and not screwed down, almost snapping the chip.
It's still the best keyer money can buy. But who drew a moustache on the Mona Lisa?

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2013 15:08 Send this review to a friend
I will have 2 soon  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My original K5 is still working well but we needed another for my portable needs. In the meantime, I found a sticky overlay on E-Bay that someone makes. It is very handy and sits right over the buttons and easy to refer to. I use the BY keyer since it has a good feel with the K5 even though we will use a Begali Gracieli key for high speed contesting with my new key.

F1BZF Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2013 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Fine item, and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having built the kit about 20 years ago for the CMOS-3, the K-5 is same quality.

W8ASA Rating: 0/5 Jun 5, 2012 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Failed right out of the box!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one at the Dayton Hamvention this year, and immediately had to return it because the 12 volt DC connector was shorted! I guess no one thought to test it with DC power. I had wanted to use it for the WPX CW contest. I sent it to them on 21 May, and they received it on 23 May. No word at all from them since. I tried to call them, but their voice mail announcement still says they are in Dayton. Once (if) they repair it and return it to me, I will give a full review of its operation. For now, though, the failure right out of the box, and the lack of communication from them are worrisome.