Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Logikey K-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Logikey K-5
Logikey K-5 Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: This new keyer improves on the world famous Logikey K-3 keyer. Unmatched feature list, with the best operator interface available. See web site for full and complete details.

Makes sending perfect CW smooth and effortless!

New additional features include: Greater protection against voltage spikes, lightning etc.; All stainless hardware; Internal volume control; Updated enclosure design; 3-AAA cells will run keyer for months, or accepts 9-12 volts DC.

Much superior to your rig's "Free" built-in keyer -- you deserve far better and here it is!
More info: http://www.idiompress.com

You can write your own review of the Logikey K-5.

ZL4AX Rating: 3/5 Aug 25, 2013 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Bizarro Superman's Keyer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Imagine a Stradivarius violin made out of old bean cans and bashed into a jagged shape. That's the kind of mess that Logikey have made of manufacturing the world's best keyer! If you've read 'Superman' comics since the 1960's like I have, you'll recognise this description as something from the 'Bizarro' world where eveything is faulty, negligent and broken.
I bought this to key my second rig alongside my Samson ETMCOG9-X3, which is the same unit by another manufacturer, now obsolete. But although the functions of the Logikey should be identical, the quality and care in manufacture is inferior in every way. Let's list a few flaws:
1). The case is double the size of the Samson but contains less. 2).The metal case is badly bent and mis-aligned. 3).There's no 'off' switch. 4). The K5 uses AAA batteries instead of AA size, only 30% of the capacity. 5).The labels for the top panel buttons are ON THE BOTTOM of the case (huh? was the guy on acid?) 6). The main speed knob is badly positioned at the bottom so your fingers can't turn it without striking the table top. 7). The feet are too flat and needed replacing to lift the unit. 8). The monitor speaker is on the BOTTOM so it is muffled and audio is distorted by reflections from the table top. 9).The battery holder inside is jammed between the main chip and the case and not screwed down, almost snapping the chip.
It's still the best keyer money can buy. But who drew a moustache on the Mona Lisa?

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2013 15:08 Send this review to a friend
I will have 2 soon  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My original K5 is still working well but we needed another for my portable needs. In the meantime, I found a sticky overlay on E-Bay that someone makes. It is very handy and sits right over the buttons and easy to refer to. I use the BY keyer since it has a good feel with the K5 even though we will use a Begali Gracieli key for high speed contesting with my new key.

F1BZF Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2013 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Fine item, and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having built the kit about 20 years ago for the CMOS-3, the K-5 is same quality.

W8ASA Rating: 0/5 Jun 5, 2012 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Failed right out of the box!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one at the Dayton Hamvention this year, and immediately had to return it because the 12 volt DC connector was shorted! I guess no one thought to test it with DC power. I had wanted to use it for the WPX CW contest. I sent it to them on 21 May, and they received it on 23 May. No word at all from them since. I tried to call them, but their voice mail announcement still says they are in Dayton. Once (if) they repair it and return it to me, I will give a full review of its operation. For now, though, the failure right out of the box, and the lack of communication from them are worrisome.

W4RAR Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2012 07:24 Send this review to a friend
How can you improve on perfection?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Love this keyer and I've owned lots of different ones through the years, the ability to put breaks and Loops in your messages you can actually set up complete QSO's with break for RST report and the other stations CALL, WX RPT etc. It's also well constructed es I've never had any RF get into it or any sending of erratic characters.

This Keyer is to the CW OP what the TX EQ board is to the PH OP. So don't worry if that Rig your buying has a built in keyer get the K5 and that's something you'll never have to worry about as an option 73 and TNX FER such a GREAT product.

W1OBJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2012 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Perfection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my new K5 and I must say its perfection at its best. Almost 60 years of CW I recommend it highly.....Jim W1OBJ

AF5U Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2011 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Simply the Best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am not rating this keyer "Great!" because I purchased it. No, it's because I have tried many others both PC and stand alone based. The K-5 shines as a search and pounce keyer, if you are not good at sending with a paddle. The K-5 has all the features needed in DX chasing except the ability to interface with logging software. But, since you are only responsible for sending your own call sign, that is really not manitory while chasing DX. However, it would be manitory in Field Day or if you were the DX station responding to others calling you. I would advise you to use a PC based keyer like N2FJP in Field Day. It will allow you to type in the call sign of a station calling you and the program will insert that call into the PC based built-in keyer. Since you have to log that call into your logging program, you only will have to input it once, and seldom, if ever, even use the paddle.

What K-5 does for you is be totally independent from your PC. You have six buttons with as many as 12 canned messages and your paddle for hand sending. You may store several exchanges, signal reports, or whatever. You can combine what's stored (1-12) memories as needed within one or more memory locations, speed-up or slow-down information to save time, and much more. The K-5 does serial numbers and will go back to a serial number (decrement) or start serial numbers at any point (Number) and define nine, zero, others (9 or N & 0 or T). You may have the K-5 stop and wait for input from your paddle and then start up when you have finished “filling-in the blank space”. The K-5 talks to you using Morse code at a speed you can set. It can ask you questions and play what's stored in code. You can edit what's stored and use the error character (7 or more dits) to backup within a message. It's really cool! The biggest problem you will have with the K-5 is not using it enough to remember what all it will do for you. My advise is use it often and make it your only keyer.

PA3DEB Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2011 02:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent keyer!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got this little gem late last year and it's been a joy working with it. Most of the time it's in Accukeyer-emulation, this gives a very nice rounding to the code. Programming the keyer is just so easy, press a couple of buttons and there you go!
Lately I discovered the combination of Kent Twin paddle and K5 in hand-mode, resulting in a very nice Cootie-emulation. For serious CW-ops this keyer is a must-have!
73, PA3DEB
Kees

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2011 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Reliable, versatile, packed with features. A must have for anyone serious about CW.

K0IO Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2010 18:45 Send this review to a friend
3-1/2 year battery life!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my K-5 just before Field Day, 2007 and the 3 AAA alkaline cells finally gave up the ghost the morning of FD 2010. Considering there is no "IO" [on-off] switch that's pretty amazing. You can run the unit with a wall wart, but I don't need any more wires cluttering up the shack. I wish there was a quick start page in the manual. The ability to send serial numbers is a plus. It certainly is easy to program messages. Bottom line: It's worth the money and the winning streak of 5's continues.