Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Logikey K-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Logikey K-5
Logikey K-5 Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: This new keyer improves on the world famous Logikey K-3 keyer. Unmatched feature list, with the best operator interface available. See web site for full and complete details.

Makes sending perfect CW smooth and effortless!

New additional features include: Greater protection against voltage spikes, lightning etc.; All stainless hardware; Internal volume control; Updated enclosure design; 3-AAA cells will run keyer for months, or accepts 9-12 volts DC.

Much superior to your rig's "Free" built-in keyer -- you deserve far better and here it is!
More info: http://www.idiompress.com

You can write your own review of the Logikey K-5.

BB12Z_REMOVE Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2010 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Great little machine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had used the K3 for a long time before I decided to buy the K5, and before that I had a few other electronic keyers including some commercially made ones and some kits, mostly based on the Curtis chip. In the end, some 10 years ago, I switched to the Logikey family and I have stayed there ever since.
I love the versatility and ease of use of the K5, and I appreciate the fact it is so light and portable. The battery will last for a very, very long time before it needs to be replaced, and in itself that is already a good thing: not needing to think of an external power supply for the keyer.
The construction is top quality and very rugged, and the choice of colors is, in my opinion, very nice. The six memory buttons are large enough, very accessible and wisely placed, which is a nice feature in a contest or in the middle of a pile up. Though I generally don't memorize in them large amounts of text, the storage capacity of each of them is remarkable compared to other keyers I've had. The speed control is large and kind of self-evident.
It takes a bit of reading to enjoy the full capabilities of the K5, and that is why it comes with an extensive manual (which I found clear and easy to read)
The K5 can do many things indeed, from imitating other keyers' style to inserting characters or add numbers in an increasing sequence to the report. And much more, really. Every imaginable parameter of the keying process is adjustable, and the result is a very, very accurate great little machine whose looks at a first glance don't give away the amazing sophistication of its circuitry inside.
I have already put a few tens of thousands of QSOs on my K5 and I am as happy with it as the very first day. I am still running on the original battery after about a year of daily use.
Only bad thing about it is there was quite a demand when I ordered mine, and it took a little while before I had it delivered. But it was indeed worth waiting for!
73 & BCNU
Nando
Z21BB

DK3KD Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2010 03:50 Send this review to a friend
Logik Keyer K5  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ich bestellte mir und versuchte die Logik aus Keyer K5-und CMOS-Keyer fr tragbare Unternehmens. Nachdem ich aus Unternehmen bisher mit der ETM 9, muss ich sagen, das ich von beiden Keyer begeistert. Sie arbeiten przise und erzeugen eine wunderbare CW Indikation. Es ist die beste Keyer, den ich schon so weit.

73 Wolf DK3KD

W2RST Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2010 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Sends *Flawless CW  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One of the best keyers I've ever owned and used, and I do have a lot of them. If you use this keyer and your CW is *flawed, it's not the keyer's fault. Need I say more?

Yeah I know, not real cheap, but you get what you pay for. In my opinion with the K5 you definitely get what you pay for, and more..

N9WW Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2009 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Don't review it if you don't own it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of the first K-5 keyers produced. Since day one, it has always worked great and I've never had a problem with lock-ups or lost memories. It also has very good battery life.

Jim N9WW

N5RP Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2009 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought my CMOS-4 keyer was as good as it gets, but this box is fantastic. Quality in every respect, and I just love using it. Really kind of hard to quantify as to what makes me enjoy this keyer so much, as it might be "just one of those things" kind of like, well why do I like my Rolex watch so much? - I dunno!?

K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2009 10:43 Send this review to a friend
easy to set up, big improvement over internal keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using the internal keyer in the Yaesu FT-890 for some time, but it gets a little quirky due to RF in the shack (condo setup, stealth antennas a bit too close to the rig).

The K-5 seems unaffected...not extra characters etc. And the speed control is much easier to use than the internal keyer's.

Also, can now switch back and forth between paddles, bug and keyboard without having to switch the rig from keyer to straight key, which is much more convenient.

Setting up the memories is a snap.

All in all, great product.

Bill

K7UA Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2008 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Nice piece of gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a K5 for over a year. I wanted the memory functions and easy speed control without messing with menus on my rigs. This keyer fills the role nicely. I don't know what more anyone could want. I would definitely buy from Idiom Press again. In fact, I have. I now own this K5 and two CMOS4 keyers. I like the K5's larger size for fixed station use. The CMOS4 is almost identical, but smaller. Better for portable or if you just want to save a little cash. Thumbs up.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2007 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Great for Portable CW  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I now have two Logikey units, a older K-3 and now the K-5. The K-3 remains at my regular operating position since it outperforms the built-in key in my 756PRO. I bought the K-5 mostly to take with me on vacation in upper Ontario each year when flown into a lake for a week of fishing with the XYL and pooch (Sudbury Aviation). The K-5 with it's internal battery pack is ideal for use with my Elecraft KX-1 QRP transceiver in the field. I sometimes sit in my den just practicing with my Bencher Iambic key to increase my sending speed. Am now planning on getting the Logikey kit for $58 to be used as a 10 meter beacon with an old converted CB radio.

KC0YVW Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2007 09:49 Send this review to a friend
This is the keyer you'll want  Time owned: months
Not to rehash the other reviews here but this is a VERY versatile keyer that is easy to learn and operate. Bob has obviously built this with the CW operator in mind and has thought of just about every function, operation and user controled commands that you would ever need, and then some.

In any event, as a newbie I'm confident and comfortable that this is the unit that will be attached to any rig that I'm operating, at home or afield.

Tom
KCYVW

WA6L Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2007 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Best Keyer I Have Ever Owned  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently vowed to myself that I would no longer give a '5' rating on eHam, unless it was a truly exceptional product. I think that as a group we tend to inflate these ratings.

So here I am, writing about the Logikey K-5, and I cannot do anything other than to give it a '5' -- I have owned many keyers over the years, and I have never found one that does as much, and does it as well, as the K5.

The feature set is incredible. I have been using this keyer for six months, and I am still finding surprising capabilities. And the keying itself is ALWAYS perfectly accurate and extremely smooth. I am not a great CW operator, but this keyer makes me sound a lot better than I am!

The K5's memory functions are unique, and once you have used them for a while you find that they are extremely flexible. You have the ability to call one memory from another, and to loop memories. For example, I have my call programmed into memory #6, and I include that memory number in my CQ, my contest reports, etc.

Another great feature is the ability to change spacing between code elements within a memory location. As an example, you could put a short gap (half a dit) between the letters of your call sign, or between characters in a contest exchange. This makes it easier to read without changing the code speed.

The list goes on. It handles contest serial numbers beautifully, and it is extremely easy to decrement (or increment) on the fly. You can program memories with a pause in them -- to insert a signal report for example - which then start up again when you are finished sending. I cannot think of a single function, whether you are a serious contester or an occasional rag-chewer, that you would find missing.

I also have to include a word about the manual. Yes, it covers all the necessary button-pushing and paddle-swinging. But it also has a clear, easy, and somewhat humorous tutorial. Sit down with the keyer and the tutorial and you will have mastered 80% of the keyer within an hour.

Finally, I will also mention that this keyer works extremely well with a portable station. I like to operate remote QRP, and the K5 makes it so much easier. I can program all my info in the memories before I leave the house, and I don't need a computer or a power supply to send great code. The keyer has an external 12V connector, but I just put the AAA batteries in it and they seem to last forever.