Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Logikey K-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Logikey K-5
Logikey K-5 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: This new keyer improves on the world famous Logikey K-3 keyer. Unmatched feature list, with the best operator interface available. See web site for full and complete details.

Makes sending perfect CW smooth and effortless!

New additional features include: Greater protection against voltage spikes, lightning etc.; All stainless hardware; Internal volume control; Updated enclosure design; 3-AAA cells will run keyer for months, or accepts 9-12 volts DC.

Much superior to your rig's "Free" built-in keyer -- you deserve far better and here it is!

You can write your own review of the Logikey K-5.

W4RAR Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2012 07:24 Send this review to a friend
How can you improve on perfection?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Love this keyer and I've owned lots of different ones through the years, the ability to put breaks and Loops in your messages you can actually set up complete QSO's with break for RST report and the other stations CALL, WX RPT etc. It's also well constructed es I've never had any RF get into it or any sending of erratic characters.

This Keyer is to the CW OP what the TX EQ board is to the PH OP. So don't worry if that Rig your buying has a built in keyer get the K5 and that's something you'll never have to worry about as an option 73 and TNX FER such a GREAT product.
W1OBJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2012 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Perfection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my new K5 and I must say its perfection at its best. Almost 60 years of CW I recommend it highly.....Jim W1OBJ
AF5U Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2011 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Simply the Best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am not rating this keyer "Great!" because I purchased it. No, it's because I have tried many others both PC and stand alone based. The K-5 shines as a search and pounce keyer, if you are not good at sending with a paddle. The K-5 has all the features needed in DX chasing except the ability to interface with logging software. But, since you are only responsible for sending your own call sign, that is really not manitory while chasing DX. However, it would be manitory in Field Day or if you were the DX station responding to others calling you. I would advise you to use a PC based keyer like N2FJP in Field Day. It will allow you to type in the call sign of a station calling you and the program will insert that call into the PC based built-in keyer. Since you have to log that call into your logging program, you only will have to input it once, and seldom, if ever, even use the paddle.

What K-5 does for you is be totally independent from your PC. You have six buttons with as many as 12 canned messages and your paddle for hand sending. You may store several exchanges, signal reports, or whatever. You can combine what's stored (1-12) memories as needed within one or more memory locations, speed-up or slow-down information to save time, and much more. The K-5 does serial numbers and will go back to a serial number (decrement) or start serial numbers at any point (Number) and define nine, zero, others (9 or N & 0 or T). You may have the K-5 stop and wait for input from your paddle and then start up when you have finished “filling-in the blank space”. The K-5 talks to you using Morse code at a speed you can set. It can ask you questions and play what's stored in code. You can edit what's stored and use the error character (7 or more dits) to backup within a message. It's really cool! The biggest problem you will have with the K-5 is not using it enough to remember what all it will do for you. My advise is use it often and make it your only keyer.
PA3DEB Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2011 02:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent keyer!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got this little gem late last year and it's been a joy working with it. Most of the time it's in Accukeyer-emulation, this gives a very nice rounding to the code. Programming the keyer is just so easy, press a couple of buttons and there you go!
Lately I discovered the combination of Kent Twin paddle and K5 in hand-mode, resulting in a very nice Cootie-emulation. For serious CW-ops this keyer is a must-have!
73, PA3DEB
WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2011 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Reliable, versatile, packed with features. A must have for anyone serious about CW.
K0IO Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2010 18:45 Send this review to a friend
3-1/2 year battery life!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my K-5 just before Field Day, 2007 and the 3 AAA alkaline cells finally gave up the ghost the morning of FD 2010. Considering there is no "IO" [on-off] switch that's pretty amazing. You can run the unit with a wall wart, but I don't need any more wires cluttering up the shack. I wish there was a quick start page in the manual. The ability to send serial numbers is a plus. It certainly is easy to program messages. Bottom line: It's worth the money and the winning streak of 5's continues.
BB12Z_REMOVE Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2010 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Great little machine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had used the K3 for a long time before I decided to buy the K5, and before that I had a few other electronic keyers including some commercially made ones and some kits, mostly based on the Curtis chip. In the end, some 10 years ago, I switched to the Logikey family and I have stayed there ever since.
I love the versatility and ease of use of the K5, and I appreciate the fact it is so light and portable. The battery will last for a very, very long time before it needs to be replaced, and in itself that is already a good thing: not needing to think of an external power supply for the keyer.
The construction is top quality and very rugged, and the choice of colors is, in my opinion, very nice. The six memory buttons are large enough, very accessible and wisely placed, which is a nice feature in a contest or in the middle of a pile up. Though I generally don't memorize in them large amounts of text, the storage capacity of each of them is remarkable compared to other keyers I've had. The speed control is large and kind of self-evident.
It takes a bit of reading to enjoy the full capabilities of the K5, and that is why it comes with an extensive manual (which I found clear and easy to read)
The K5 can do many things indeed, from imitating other keyers' style to inserting characters or add numbers in an increasing sequence to the report. And much more, really. Every imaginable parameter of the keying process is adjustable, and the result is a very, very accurate great little machine whose looks at a first glance don't give away the amazing sophistication of its circuitry inside.
I have already put a few tens of thousands of QSOs on my K5 and I am as happy with it as the very first day. I am still running on the original battery after about a year of daily use.
Only bad thing about it is there was quite a demand when I ordered mine, and it took a little while before I had it delivered. But it was indeed worth waiting for!
73 & BCNU
DK3KD Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2010 03:50 Send this review to a friend
Logik Keyer K5  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ich bestellte mir und versuchte die Logik aus Keyer K5-und CMOS-Keyer für tragbare Unternehmens. Nachdem ich aus Unternehmen bisher mit der ETM 9, muss ich sagen, das ich von beiden Keyer begeistert. Sie arbeiten präzise und erzeugen eine wunderbare CW Indikation. Es ist die beste Keyer, den ich schon so weit.

73 Wolf DK3KD
K4RIG Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2010 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Sends *Flawless CW  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One of the best keyers I've ever owned and used, and I do have a lot of them. If you use this keyer and your CW is *flawed, it's not the keyer's fault. Need I say more?

Yeah I know, not real cheap, but you get what you pay for. In my opinion with the K5 you definitely get what you pay for, and more..
N9WW Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2009 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Don't review it if you don't own it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of the first K-5 keyers produced. Since day one, it has always worked great and I've never had a problem with lock-ups or lost memories. It also has very good battery life.

Jim N9WW