Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | OPEK HVT-400 Help

Reviews Summary for OPEK HVT-400
OPEK HVT-400 Reviews: 58 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $60.00
Description: HF/VHF 8-band mobile antenna. 120 watt maxiumum power handling. Freq: 80/40/20/15/10/6/2 meter & "air band". Use jumper lead to change freq./band. PL-259 mount. Retractable telescopic whip for best TX/RX.

You can write your own review of the OPEK HVT-400.

VK2TCL Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2016 03:49 Send this review to a friend
2 of these = great little dipole!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use 2 HVT-400B's as a portable dipole when out in the great outdoors. I have a 4.5M telescopic aluminum mast with a 1m fibreglass extension. A balun and a bracket with 2 x SO-239 sockets makes for a quick setup. Works surprisingly well!
EI6DP Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2016 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant and very effective antenna.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my OPEK HVT-400 for quite a while now which I use as a portable antenna in a Back-Pack configuration with my FT817 and MFJ-901B. For an extra punch at times I use my MiNiPA50 45W HF Power Amplifier.

I have to say that is is a great antenna for Back-Pack portable work and very effective. While the tuning of the antenna can be critical at times I find using my MFJ-901B very good and easy to tune up the OPEK HVT-400. On the lover frequencies 3.5 & 7mhz it is good but really comes into its own on 14mhz and up.

At the moment I am listening to 14mhz and the 817 etc are on the kitchen-table with the OPEK HVT-400 antenna at an angle and I have consistent signals in the region of 5-7/8, + at times.

I have never used it as a mobile antenna but from its manufacture I don't think it would stand up to much over time. For mobile work I use either my Terlin Outbacker or my Barrett 2050 outfit. The OPEK HVT-400 doesn't seem to be as robust at the Terlin Outbacker and don't think I will ever try it mobile. Other than that it is a great antenna for portable opps.

Great buy - well worth the money.

R2ABT Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2016 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good for my car  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this antenna for more than 2 years now in my car only in along with 5W TRX. Well, a half-wave dipole, a delta-loop and even a magnetic loop antennas work better on my point of view. But all of them cannot be used mobile, while you drive. Still this antenna is pretty good. I work mostly on 20, 10, 2 m and 70 cm bands. Probably there is a better antenna for my car, but I couldn't find one.

73! Peter R2ABT

PS: this is an example how this antenna works: The day before this video I managed to work Emirates on 20-meter-band through pile-up SSB. The distance was around 4000 km.
KG8JK Rating: 0/5 Jul 1, 2015 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Terrible - Save your money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a multiband mobile antenna. I really wanted a screwdriver but couldn't afford it so I spent $60 on this. I should have saved my money and just used a hamstick. I was never able to get it to tune on all the bands and the whole thing was poorly manufactured. Avoid this one.
K5LRS Rating: 4/5 Mar 10, 2015 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna if installed and grounded properly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running this antenna for about two years now. It's not the greatest mobile antenna in the world, but it works pretty good. If I can hear it, I can work it with this antenna and my FT-857. Making sure you have a good ground is the main thing. If it isn't grounded properly, you will have trouble tuning it as well as getting out with it. Good antenna if you want to spend time getting the installation right.
W6LMJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2015 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Easy peasy - install and use!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this antenna at the Orlando Hamcation for $65. About $11 per band makes this a great buy. I bought it to be a grab and go travel antenna. Tip retraces into the body for a small air-transportable only about 36 inches, with the entire antenna about 72 inches long. It can break down into three pieces. But the retractable tip is 36 inches long. I set the overall length to 165.5 cm and used the antenna on the trip home. The mount was a K-550 for hack-mount. Sadly, it did not like being rack mounted. At home I moved it to the BMW 335d and it played much nicer. Be sure to use the correct tuning chart. The HVT-400B is different from the original HVT-400.
VK2JCC Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2014 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Best HF Antenna for mobile USE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the antenna at the Gosford Field day about 3 years ago. After checking the swr and recording the measurements on a piece of paper, I used an automatic center punch to make two marks on the adjustable section of Stainless Steel. When I want to operate I slide out the section to one of the marks and lock up the screw. BTW I replaced the set screw with a hex head screw which avoids having to always having an "Allen key" with you.
Payed $75 for the antenna. Good value. If it were lost would I buy another the answer is yes.
AD7LY Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2014 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Love this Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own both the HVT-600 and HVT-400 and like the 400 better. I operate both 20m and 15m with a Kenwood TS-430 at 100W. You can tune the antenna to 1:1 SWR at 20m and still get respectable SWRs on 15m without changing the antenna length (simple plug-and-play band change). I have had this antenna mounted on both a sedan and an SUV - proper grounding is a MUST. Make sure everything is well-grounded and avoid using magnetic mounts for this reason. I am currently using a trunk-lip mount with a separate ground wire. I have made good contacts between Tampa and ZS and VK stations, I always get excellent reports back. Tuning and grounding are critical for best results.
KB8BMN Rating: 3/5 Jun 30, 2013 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Cannot get the SWR below 2.4:1  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have read this is a bear to tune, and evidently that is true. I have tried both a 3 magnet mount and have tried a trunk lip mount, same results. I have run a grounding strap from the braid side of the mount to the car body, no change. I added an insulator inside the PL259 mount, no change. The next thing I think I am going to try is to make up a few different length jumpers to change band. That is about all I have left to try.

On the upside, I HAVE made some contacts, but I usually get the same report, weak signal. The rig is an Icom 706 running 100 watts. I suppose I could use a tuner, but really don't want to have to carry another piece of equipment.
VK2FPHR Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2013 17:42 Send this review to a friend
excellent on the road  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these attached to the rear of my caravan and have used it constantly especially on 40/80 meters.
It is easy to take down and put up and easy to measure to use.No dramas at all with this little beauty.Would recommend it to anyone who needs an antenna that will work anywhere