Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-84 Help

100w in, 400w min out
4x 6MJ6
120v or 240v
More info: http://www.ameritron.com

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-84.

WA2DTW Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2007 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Ditto  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice, simple to operate amplifier that takes up little space, and is easily liftable.
My only gripe is that it will not do AM, because the sweep tubes will not take a continuous duty cycle.

NL7FK Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2007 23:42 Send this review to a friend
Beauty and a Beast  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok, This little amp may not be a big beast but for the size and what it is this little beauty is one heck of an amplifier.

This amplifier fits a number of needs. First off we all know the first 500 to 600 watts is the most noticable on the distant end. This little amp will get you about 450 watts on CW and 600 watts on phone. This fits the needs of a large majority of the ops out there today. It will get you through the QRN on the lower bands and will make you a larger presence on the higher end of the spectrum. Best of all it will not break the bank in the process.

Another key issue to consider is the footprint of this amplifier. It is a nice small package that packs a punch. It is quiet and no one will ever complain about the loud fan noise when you key up. There is no need to run 220 volt wiring in the shack with this gem because it works great and purrs along on common 110 volt house current.

What not to do. Do not be afraid of the 4 sweep tubes. Many think that those tubes are expensive to replace. Well, that is not necessairly true. One just has to care when loading the amplifier. Those tubes are not quite as durable and forgiving as tubes such as a 3-500 and others but they will take a licking and keep on ticking.

For the money to be spent on the used market I highly reccomend picking up one as either a good first amp or as a back-up. You will not go wrong.
One thing to take note of is nice amps will bring a premium price but they are definately worth the investment. Current market price is in the $350.00 to $450.00 for premium.

NA5Z Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2007 01:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rugged Little Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this little amp for years upon years now (since 88 or 89). It's small enough to be easily portable without creating a hernia (not something you can say about many tube amps) and it tunes up pretty easily just about anywhere into a variety of loads.

I'd post some negatives about it if I had them... but I don't. This amp's been all over and even operated from the top of Rudder Tower at Texas A&M and at special event station for the Fightin Texas Aggie Bonfire (whoop!).

As far as drive levels go, I tend to do as posted earlier - tune it at low input power, run the drive up to about 400W out (avg) and tweak again if necessary to keep the current down. Usually that's only a problem when the antenna return loss is starting to get out of hand.

What sells me repeatedly on this amp, is I've used a variety of the older 2kW tube amps (Henry, Drake, Heath) and this one always felt quicker and easier to tune up. I'm not saying I prefer 400W to a full boat (hi hi), but even if I find another "big boy" amp, this one will still be my favorite for portable op's.

K5PNV Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2007 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Good little amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up a reasonably priced AL-84 from an owner who said the tubes tested good but no RF output from the amp. I traced the problem to two plate cap leads that needed a resolder job and, of all things, the cover screw on the right side, closest to the plate capacitor. The screw he was using, while the same length as those in the other holes, was long enough to cause an interaction with the variable capacitor. When it was screwed in, no output! I removed it completely, and the little amp was in business.

With both the old tubes, and with 4 NOS 6MJ6s that I had on hand, it puts out a solid 400+ watts with only 60 watts drive. The output looks great on the scope. It is definitely a keeper, and I've got the old tubes (93% good) if the NOS set gets tired.

WEB01 Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2006 21:56 Send this review to a friend
KG0WX Hit the anil on the head!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great little starter amp. I don't like the short tuning time but once you get used to it, not to bas at all. It's a nice small size and works very well and I don't drive it more than 70w. I've owned mine for years now and it's
the most reliable amplifier I have ever owned to date. My tubes are still at 95% and no problems with them. I have no trouble finding a set of 4 for about 60 bucks if I don't have any in my tube pile. I bought a matched set 2 years ago just in case for 60 bucks so I got lucky I guess.
It is an easy to operate all around good mid power amp that helps with qrm and pile ups. I only use it when conditions warrant the need.
I do like the set up and feel of it and controls are straight forward. If you have newer rigs, you may scratch your head about getting the relay cable hooked up to your radio but once passed that it really is smooth sailing.
Good amp, Good brand. Well done for the price they can be had for these days.
Rich W2EBR

KG0WX Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2006 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Nice beginner's amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There seems to be some question as to the proper drive level for these amps. The literature says 100w, the manual says 100w yet the previous poster and my amp's previous owner say 50w.

I say follow the manual's directions and apply drive until you reach the point where "on air" tests indicate over driving. Then back off the drive by 10% and verify that you are not exceeding 800ma of plate current. Note this is my way of adjusting drive (SSB mode only) for my amp (with tired tubes) with my exciter (TS-850SAT) and my antennas (no tuner inline). YMMV.

On my setup I use a calibrated PEP wattmeter and it shows 80w drive from the exciter gives 500w power with 700ma IP. The amp, aside from it's current load of tired tubes, seems happy with this setup. Note the previous owner always used a tuner where I don't (all my antennas are tuned). Maybe that had something to do with it?

If you are reading this as you shop for an AL-84, please consider that sweep tubes are getting rare and expensive. I found NOS 6MJ6's selling from $60-$90 EACH! For the average price of one of these amps (say $350-450), adding $240-$360 for fresh sweep tubes quickly qualifies as "dumb".

I paid $200 for my amp. I'll replace the tubes when I can no longer get 400w. After that, I'll save my money for an Alpha. I figure I've got 3-5 years of useful life in this little amp before then. Good thing I've got so much time as the newest amp from Alpha is $7,900! Ouch!

Overall - this is a nice beginner's amp or an amp for those who want just enough power to be heard without needing to upgrade coax's, meter's, antennas, etc. to QRO levels. I run RG-58 (80') to my R-7000 vertical but I'll have to replace it when I get a bigger amp. I'm not even sure if the R-7000 can handle legal limit, either. The manual says yes but the reviews say no way.

One more thing - there is an Ameritron Yahoo eGroup - I subscribed and posted great pics of the inside of this amp and the manual. Both show how to do the 10/12m mod if you look close.

73's de Ken KG0WX

KB0VOY Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Good starter amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got my AL-84 off ebay about 3 years ago. Good starter amplifier. Think I was told it did about 500w. Never got over 350w to 400w. Now I see why. It should only do 400w max with out over driving.
Run it mostly on 3.9250 just a bit more punch. It is not going to walk on any one of the big boys. No bad reports,no stray RF, like all amps don't over drive it. 50w in 400w out. Small foot print.No pops or bangs for three years, just keeps putting out. It is a Timex amp. Next amp will be AL-811H or at two times that price the Al-572B. A call to Ameritron got me going on the set up and tune.Good amp, hope my next amp is as good as this one.
GD