Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | PicCon Help

Reviews Summary for PicCon
PicCon Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $36
Description: PicCon is a PIC microcontroller based radio controller designed for hidden transmitter hunting. When combined with a radio transmitter, it will produce tone sequences and Morse code messages at user-programmed times. It is completely field programmable via DTMF tones, utilizes EEPROM for all programmed options so they are remembered when power is removed, and is quite compact.
More info: http://www.byonics.com/piccon/

You can write your own review of the PicCon.

N6VCW Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2010 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Easy to build & works great.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Kit construction took around 20 minutes and it worked perfectly the first time power was applied. Programming it was simple, too. I found that adding a space or two before the CWID makes my call easier to detect when it's running in IARU mode. I took the liberty of modifying the timer circuit with a crystal and two additional capacitors. It's now extremely accurate. I also replaced the green LED with bright white so it can be seen working from quite a distance, even in sunlight.

Low cost and high performance make this kit a great addition to the ARDF side of the hobby.

KB9TMP Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2006 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this kit because of it's ability to transmit morse code ID's all on it's own. It is an easy kit to build even for someone who is all thumbs like me. :) It went together in a little over an hour and worked the first time like a champ. I'm using it with a small ht for an automatic ID system for my crossband radio. I have also played with the tones that are used during foxhunts and they function just like the manual says they should. The fit and finish of the case and all parts is A1. It is about the size of a pager (excluding DB9 connector used for the interface) without a belt clip. You also have the option of building your own cables or ordering a prebuilt set from their website. I would recommend this kit to anyone who has a need for one. Now if it only had a voice chip....... ;)

73 KB9TMP