Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | LDG FT-Meter Help

Reviews Summary for LDG FT-Meter
LDG FT-Meter Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $49.00
Description: Yaesu's popular FT-857 and FT-897 transceivers are wonders of compact efficiency. These do-anything, go-anywhere transceivers were science fiction just a few years ago, but ham's today are using them in shacks, mobiles and on dxpeditions from the back yard to the top of the world.

About the only problem with these radios is that us hams who are old enough to remember when stuff like this really was science fiction are also old enough to wish that the display was just little bit bigger. As we grow in wisdom and experience, we also grow to depend on bifocals; those tiny little screens are just plain hard to read! Add to that a strong desire to see a real live meter needle bouncing on voice peaks, and you find yourself wishing Yaesu had thought all this through when they designed the radio.

Well, in fact they did. A little known feature of these radios, noticed only by compulsive manual readers, is a meter jack on the bottom of the front panel. You have to figure that Yaesu knew they needed a bigger display all along, but just left it as an exercise for the user. Well, help is here! The LDG FT-Meter is a low-cost, plug-and-play solution to all your FT metering needs.

The FT-Meter presents a lush, highly readable 2.5" meter face with calibrated scales for signal strength and discriminator reading on receive, and power output, SWR, modulation, ALC action and supply voltage on transmit. Each function is s electable from the radio's menu. Easily visible from anywhere on your desk or dash, the FT-Meter is illuminated by any external 12 vdc source. The FT-Meter comes fully assembled and ready to go; just plug it into the radio and you're in the picture like never before. Order yours today

You can write your own review of the LDG FT-Meter.

VK4NWX Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2012 08:26 Send this review to a friend
A friend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One of the best little accessories you can buy yourself for the FT 857&897 radios, easy viewing up to armís length away, if you have not so good eye sight or need to see your meter from long distance go for the FTL (Large) meter. But otherwise this meter dose a good job and shows everything you need to know. Well done LDG.
N2UGB Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2011 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Best fifty-buck investment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The addition of this unit to my FT-857D has really turned it into a first-class base station. I find it easy to view, certainly more than the good but ball-park readings of the bar system on the rig. Wouldn't be without it now. Probably get another to mate with my other 857.
N6PG Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2011 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Very useful  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the DTMF mic addition for my 857 and the mic gain was over driving it. It wasn't easy to see with the small meter on the radio, but this LDG meter was great for looking at ALC, Power, and SWR. I could adjust things much easier, and see the effect.

I really like being able to look at the meter and see clearly where the SWR or S signal is. It's not like the small meter on the radio, which is almost worthless.
AH6OY Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2011 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Today I was saved by the man at LDG. He bet a nickel with me saying he bets the AGC was turned off. Yaesu shuts off the signal reading function when the AGC is turned off. Signal reading returned. If you ever loose the S meter reading that's the problem. I'm running a FT-897D and not sure if this effects the other FT's but wouldn't doubt it. Keep the AGC on.

Can't beat combining what the radio will display along with the FT-Meters display giving extra. Even the voltage reading is a plus so you have a better idea than the flashing battery light.
S: Signal strength
VOLTS: Power supply voltage on RECEIVE or TRANSMIT
DISC: Discriminator reading on receive

All it needs is a little arrow pointing to the rare DX.

It's a keeper. Signal and SWR on transmit is what I commonly use it for. In the field the voltage is a good idea.

This device compliments my FT-897D part of the Yaesu collection rather nicely. It's a keeper.
N4KC Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2010 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice idea...and it works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So I bought something I really needed that cost $70 from HRO. I needed to spend over $100 to get free shipping. What else did I need? I had thought about getting the FT meter ever since I put the new 857 in the truck so there's my free shipping. It appears to be a well made device...not lab quality, mind you, but seems to be very close...and really does give helpful info. Most of the time I am watching power on the rig's tiny, little display and SWR on the FT meter but it's fun to switch it around sometimes. That's helpful since my HF mobile antenna uses various loading coils and is not that broadbanded so I can now tell when I'm on the ragged edge before I see that little, bitty blinking "SWR" on the 857's readout. And I'm using it as an S-meter on receive. Now if I can just figure out where and how I want to mount it instead of lying on its back in the cup holder.

Oh, and that free shipping cost me $49. But it's worth that and more. (I'm the kind of guy who will spend $5 worth of gas to drive to the cheap station to save $3 on a fill-up! I know. It's a character flaw.)

Don N4KC

K1TWH Rating: 4/5 Aug 24, 2010 06:59 Send this review to a friend
OK, but S is part hidden  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've not kept my two FT-Meters. They worked as advertised, but I had a hard time orienting them so that 100% of the S-Meter could be seen without placing my head down on the desk. If I had a second shelf to place the meter, such that I was even or looking upward, then the whole S-Meter would be visible. If I were LDG , I'd place the DC voltage scale up top & make the S-Meter the next arc down from the top. -WB1FPA
K6DPY Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2010 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Necessary and right price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Being new to the Yaesu FT-857D I found this meter necessary -- to understand what is going on with the transceiver. The 857 displays similar information on its small LCD screen, one at a time. This meter does it more clearly, plus now you can see two different measurements at a time, e.g. PWR on the meter and SWR on the LCD. And the price is right!
M5AEO Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2010 23:47 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's a lovely, well thought out, piece of kit. Not too expensive either!
Highly recommended.

VK2LKW Rating: 4/5 Dec 11, 2009 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice device with low quality connection cable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my FTL meter to be used with FT897D a few weeks ago. Nice device, working well except poor quality of connecting cable which started to give intermediate contact and finally failed completely. I exchanged connecting cable against a spare one (from a digital camera). It works perfectly even though replacement cable has plugs with two rings while original plugs have only one. Looks like the ring is not used for making contact.
Although this is a nice FT meter, due to poor quality of cable connection no maximum rating.
WS4E Rating: 4/5 Aug 24, 2009 21:39 Send this review to a friend
LIke it, but blew fuse.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Its nice to be able to read the meters from the radio on a large analog scale, as opposed to the typical bar graph on a digital display that is so common today.

But, I did experience one issue when I first got my FT-Meter.

IT HAD A SHORT with the plug on the back and the connector shipped in the box.

The plug that LDG used on the back is pretty poor quality, and the barrel of the included dc cable connector shorted out at the bottom of the plug when it was inserted fully causing a blown fuse.

I had to stuff a little electrical tape down around the bottom inside of the plug on the meter body to keep the dc connector from bottoming out and the edge of the outside touching the tip connector at the bottom of the female plug and causing the short.

First time I have ever had a complaint about the build quality of an LDG product.

But once I fixed the shorting, it worked fine.