Reviews Categories | Voice Keyers | MFJ-434/434B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-434/434B
MFJ-434/434B Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Contest voice Keyer (new improved)
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-434

You can write your own review of the MFJ-434/434B.

KD2BMX Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2015 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Good Results So Far  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was reluctant to purchase this unit because of the negative reviews, but decided to give it a try anyway. I use the MFJ-434B with my ICOM 9100 and have been very pleased with the performance so far. All features work as described in the manual. The recorded messages are very clear and according to radio checks more punchy than the regular audio from the radio. I did have to adjust the jumpers for radio brand and audio level pot inside the unit as described in the manual, but that was a simple procedure. Having 5 pre-recorded messages to use does come in handy during DX-ing or contesting.

N7RST Rating: 3/5 Dec 31, 2014 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Okay - Needs some help  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got my 434B from DX Engineering. Found a screw in the top missing, the side screws don't line up from the chassis cover to the chassis. Typical for MFJ.

The Jumpers were supposedly set for Yaesu but mine were configured for whatever...they were all over the place.

One note I found out was I have to connect to my DC Power Supply in order for the PTT to function. Jumpers are a pain and they only show a hand full. Jumper settings should be more documented in the on line manual. Beware, some of the configurations out there may or may not match the unit you have. Configuration control is not a strong point with MFJ. Took a lot to get the unit to work.

EI4KI Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2014 05:41 Send this review to a friend
works fine for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The design seems to be improved from one I bought around 10 years ago that was sold off when I moved. Set up and working within 10 minutes out of the box. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. No issues with FT920/950/847. Saves me messing with radios internal DVRs. Didn't add any additional noise to the audio chain. Would buy another.

AB2IR Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2014 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased May 2014. Was not to bad to figure out inside jumpers because of prior experience with other MFJ acc. Only needed eight jumpers, and extra pins just put aside of pins. Four rating because, remote paper top is wrinkled, and front metal edge paint job/ poor. So far all MFJ front edge paint jobs are poor. Recording time is "limited". Any time beyond the time design drastically cuts full record times. Ran over second level (10 sec.) and lost half the recordable time. Time limits are 32/10/10/10/12 seconds. Using a Tentec omni 7 and have output adj. to min. on back of unit. Internal mike is best record level. Would buy again.

W2YX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 13:16 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Echoing earlier positive remarks on this product, I must say it was a snap to set-up for my rig and get on the air. All the supplied cables are first rate. Inside, the unit is a well-built quality piece of work. Just be careful to use either their (MFJ) AC to DC supply or a clean, filtered DC supply of your own. My bad that I had hum and distortion on the output, but that turned out to be my DC supply issue. No fault of the unit. Once that was replaced, it sounded great.

K5TGS Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2011 18:30 Send this review to a friend
If You Need this function you need this item!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must say I am very impressed with this keyer. First, the manual is written very clearly with a logical flow of instructions. Second, the jumper configuration was very simple to follow with the provided tables. I use an Icom so I had to change the jumper configuration. After removing 4 screws, I imagine it took 3 minutes to make the changes and double check my changes. The table and picture provided in the booklet were perfect. The third item that I found very nice was the inclusion of extra jumpers, a modular to 8 pin round cable, a Cat cable and a power supple cable with the plug.

The unit performs exactly as described, from the very beginning. If you have the need for a voice keyer, or DVR, this is the unit to get.

NY1E Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Worked out of the box!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a new 434B, I didn't check the jumpers, I knew I needed to change them for my radio. The manual is a little confusing and was disappointed with using an RJ45 for the output connector. I found an ethernet jumper cable in the junk box and cut off an end to attach the mic connector for the rig. The low impedance input didn't seem to mind the twisted pair instead of a shielded mic cable. Its a handy package compared to the lash-ups I've used in the past to repeat CQ's!

K1SEZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2010 16:49 Send this review to a friend
No problems on start-up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered it on line 6 days ago and it arrived today (MS to CT). From opening the box to on-the-air was about one hour, with no problems. This will be my lever for better SSB contest scores!

All the wiring looked first class, and the instructions were good.

I'll review it again at the end of the year, but this is the sixth MFJ product over 5 years with no problems.

MM0ERK Rating: 0/5 Aug 4, 2008 07:08 Send this review to a friend
night-mare  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i bought the 434b thought i would be ok wish i kept my money will not work my 1000mp mk5 or my 1000mp no mater what i do cant get any transmit out so got fedup with the whole thing and the said item is now bined.if any body knowes of any other voice keyrs please let me know(not MFJ)
brian
mmoerk

WA7MR Rating: 3/5 May 16, 2008 17:24 Send this review to a friend
OK once defects were fixed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a new 434B to interface with my old TS-820S after my voice went hoarse during the 7QP contest. I bought some adapters to go from the 434B's 8 pin connector to the 820's 4 Pin. Should have worked, but didn't. No solder on two of the wires from the 8 pin front panel jack, and a poorly soldered SMD capacitor on the main board didn't help any.....
MFJ, in their infinite wisdom used SOLID wire for the speaker wires, so of course when the lid is lifted off the wires break off the speaker....
Reminds me a lot of a poorly built Heathkit.

The unit also did not come with a power cable or connector of any kind, so I had to make a Radio Shack run and fabricate a cable even to power the unit up.
The only problem left now is that the repeat control/switch does not seem to work, but I can live without that feature for now....

Hey, if we wern't hams we wouldn't be able to get any of these MFJ products working ;-).