Reviews Categories | Voice Keyers | MFJ-434/434B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-434/434B
MFJ-434/434B Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Contest voice Keyer (new improved)
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-434

You can write your own review of the MFJ-434/434B.

EI4KI Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2014 05:41 Send this review to a friend
works fine for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The design seems to be improved from one I bought around 10 years ago that was sold off when I moved. Set up and working within 10 minutes out of the box. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. No issues with FT920/950/847. Saves me messing with radios internal DVRs. Didn't add any additional noise to the audio chain. Would buy another.

AB2IR Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2014 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased May 2014. Was not to bad to figure out inside jumpers because of prior experience with other MFJ acc. Only needed eight jumpers, and extra pins just put aside of pins. Four rating because, remote paper top is wrinkled, and front metal edge paint job/ poor. So far all MFJ front edge paint jobs are poor. Recording time is "limited". Any time beyond the time design drastically cuts full record times. Ran over second level (10 sec.) and lost half the recordable time. Time limits are 32/10/10/10/12 seconds. Using a Tentec omni 7 and have output adj. to min. on back of unit. Internal mike is best record level. Would buy again.

W2YX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 13:16 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Echoing earlier positive remarks on this product, I must say it was a snap to set-up for my rig and get on the air. All the supplied cables are first rate. Inside, the unit is a well-built quality piece of work. Just be careful to use either their (MFJ) AC to DC supply or a clean, filtered DC supply of your own. My bad that I had hum and distortion on the output, but that turned out to be my DC supply issue. No fault of the unit. Once that was replaced, it sounded great.

K5TGS Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2011 18:30 Send this review to a friend
If You Need this function you need this item!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must say I am very impressed with this keyer. First, the manual is written very clearly with a logical flow of instructions. Second, the jumper configuration was very simple to follow with the provided tables. I use an Icom so I had to change the jumper configuration. After removing 4 screws, I imagine it took 3 minutes to make the changes and double check my changes. The table and picture provided in the booklet were perfect. The third item that I found very nice was the inclusion of extra jumpers, a modular to 8 pin round cable, a Cat cable and a power supple cable with the plug.

The unit performs exactly as described, from the very beginning. If you have the need for a voice keyer, or DVR, this is the unit to get.

NY1E Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Worked out of the box!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a new 434B, I didn't check the jumpers, I knew I needed to change them for my radio. The manual is a little confusing and was disappointed with using an RJ45 for the output connector. I found an ethernet jumper cable in the junk box and cut off an end to attach the mic connector for the rig. The low impedance input didn't seem to mind the twisted pair instead of a shielded mic cable. Its a handy package compared to the lash-ups I've used in the past to repeat CQ's!

K1SEZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2010 16:49 Send this review to a friend
No problems on start-up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered it on line 6 days ago and it arrived today (MS to CT). From opening the box to on-the-air was about one hour, with no problems. This will be my lever for better SSB contest scores!

All the wiring looked first class, and the instructions were good.

I'll review it again at the end of the year, but this is the sixth MFJ product over 5 years with no problems.

MM0ERK Rating: 0/5 Aug 4, 2008 07:08 Send this review to a friend
night-mare  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i bought the 434b thought i would be ok wish i kept my money will not work my 1000mp mk5 or my 1000mp no mater what i do cant get any transmit out so got fedup with the whole thing and the said item is now bined.if any body knowes of any other voice keyrs please let me know(not MFJ)
brian
mmoerk

WA7MR Rating: 3/5 May 16, 2008 17:24 Send this review to a friend
OK once defects were fixed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a new 434B to interface with my old TS-820S after my voice went hoarse during the 7QP contest. I bought some adapters to go from the 434B's 8 pin connector to the 820's 4 Pin. Should have worked, but didn't. No solder on two of the wires from the 8 pin front panel jack, and a poorly soldered SMD capacitor on the main board didn't help any.....
MFJ, in their infinite wisdom used SOLID wire for the speaker wires, so of course when the lid is lifted off the wires break off the speaker....
Reminds me a lot of a poorly built Heathkit.

The unit also did not come with a power cable or connector of any kind, so I had to make a Radio Shack run and fabricate a cable even to power the unit up.
The only problem left now is that the repeat control/switch does not seem to work, but I can live without that feature for now....

Hey, if we wern't hams we wouldn't be able to get any of these MFJ products working ;-).

W6RAM Rating: 2/5 May 10, 2008 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Jumper Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received two MFJ-434B voice keyers. The documentation says the internal jumpers are set for the Yaesu 817, 857, and 897. Neither unit worked with an 817. I had to drill out two of the sheet metal screws on one unit to get the lid off, and found that both units were jumpered for the Yaesu 847. After setting the jumpers to the right positions, the units worked. I sent e-mail to MFJ expressing my alarm and dismay at having to do this, but so far have not received a reply. I rated the units a "2" for this lack of quality control.

K0JDD Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2008 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Would Recommend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As far as doing what it is advertised to do, I have to give it 5 out of 5. I would recommend it to others looking for a versatile external voice keyer.

The 434B keyer works well with my Icom 746pro and BOTH my Heil Traveler Dual Boomset (using the Heil ICOM adapter cable), and my Icom SM-20 desk mic.
I have learned that the SM-20 gets its' DC power from pin 2 on the ICOM transceiver (an Icom only 'feature'), whereas the Heil gets its' DC power from Pin 1.
I had to change the default jumper on the 434B (see pg 6 of the manual) to get DC power for the Heil. Note that for this reason, the Heil only works with the keyer powered on.

MFJ does not recommend long term operation on the internal 9V battery, so I built a double fused power cable for the unit with Anderson power poles on one end and a 5mm/2.1mm DC Power connector on the other. (See pg 2 of the manual)

One behavior in my setup that I did not like, is that the keyer would not stop play out of a message when I used the foot pedal that I have attached to the ACC1 socket on the back of the Icom 746. I got to wishing that the 434B had a PTT accessory socket until I realized it does have one, "sort of."
There are two MIC connectors on the front of the 434, but you can only attach one Mic at a time. I am using the 8 pin round connector so that leaves the RJ-45 jack open. I cut the end off of an Ethernet cable and attached a 1/4" Phone Jack (Female) to the PTT and PTT GND leads. Plugging the foot pedal into that adapter and the adapter into the front panel RJ45 does the trick.

I spent $30 on the remote. I had to repair it to use it.
Problem 1. When the assembler stripped the PVC off the 8 conductor plus ground cable, he or she scalped the insulation off of several wires and severed 1/2 of the strands in the ground lead. The ground lead had been 'factory repaired' with a dab of solder but is was not up to specs. I re-did the entire cable.
Problem 2. One of the six push-buttons on the remote was 'sticky' so I cut it out and replaced it. I would recommend that first you try to build this remote yourself using the MFJ provided schematic (See pg 12/13 of the manual) and local parts -- providing of course that you can find the special 8 pin IDC connector (or something similar) to attach your new remote to the back of the 434B.