Reviews Categories | Voice Keyers | MFJ-434/434B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-434/434B
MFJ-434/434B Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Contest voice Keyer (new improved)
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-434

You can write your own review of the MFJ-434/434B.

W4ABX Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2005 08:58 Send this review to a friend
One short coming  Time owned: more than 12 months
The only problem I have run into with my keyer, is the repeat feature. The timer is not stable, as it will repeat at random intervals the higher I go with the setting (x10+) the more random it becomes. I would like to see it repeat at a reliable once every 10 minutes, with a check for busy status before sending.
"What do you want for nothing, a rubber biscuit?"
Yean, I know, buy a repeater controller with voice ID. OK, OK.
I would almost believe that an all knowing amateur could conjure up a fix for this! Or I could open my ARRL guide book, and find the answer my self.

PD2DB Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2004 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Can't live without it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have the 434 since one year. Because i use a special element in mine headset i need 8 volt. The 434 gives only adjustable voltage up to 5V. So i made a straight connection. Very simpel to use and no interference. Great audio. 5+

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2004 00:04 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Used this for Nov Sweeps 2003.
Worked well and easy to use.

K3IXD Rating: 2/5 Apr 7, 2003 15:19 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-434  Time owned: more than 12 months
MFJ needs to institute a quality control program on their assemble line. When received, my first MFJ 434 voice keyer had the eight, remote keying, male pins bent and touching each other. The radio store replaced it. The second MFJ 434 failed several times before it was correctly repaired. Initially not all the memories worked, then in another contest the LEDs failed. And in a later contest, it completely failed. Once the "434" was finally fixed, it is a nice keyer; but anyone purchasing one should do it year before it is really needed. Exercise it before the warranty expires. I have used it with my ICOM IC-746 at home, with my Yaseu FT736r at W3SO in VHF contests, and with a Kenwood TS-850 at W8ZA in HF contests. At both W3SO and W8ZA, many MJF voice keyers are used and the initial failure rate is high!

T93M Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2003 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the unit in two contests , CQWW '01 nad CQWPX '02 (T93M/HI9) when I won first place in the world.
Both times unit performed great. I modified the back side adding 8 Pin conector for remote triggering via LPT port on my laptop. I use CT contesting software which easily can be set to triger memories from MFJ unit.
I guess I was lucky with QC of my unit.

EA4TV Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2003 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Quite goog product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My unit has not suffered any problem since i bought it. I miss some features and i also think it's quite expensive (as others mfj products). If you open it you can see that the product doesn't seem to be a high quality product. It works and it does what the manual says.

WV4I Rating: 2/5 Oct 28, 2002 19:46 Send this review to a friend
QC Non-existent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
According to instructions, this device is factory set up for Yaesu radios. So, owning an Icom, instructions say to open unit, and reset internal jumpers accordingly. Only problem is no jumpers present whatsoever, much less preset for Yaesu. So, scrounged my spare parts box, and came up with 11 jumpers to set up unit.

Then had to find a tiny mike connector screw, since one was missing. This was noticed before I began to rework cable as it goes into mike connector clamp, so it would not pull out, and stay clamped.

On back of unit, no one even bothered to push the cable bushing into the case, designed so as to avoid cable chafing on MFJ's trademark rough metal edges. Have they heard of a metal file?

Lastly, while there was no visible signs of overheating, the unit smells fried inside.

Obviously, I will be returning this unit for another try. Why do I want another one? Because when it works, it really will save your voice in a contest, which I do sometimes. If you don't contest, forget it for $170 + shipping.

K6RB Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2001 20:24 Send this review to a friend
I love it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has worked flawlessly through two ARRL 10 meter contests, the California QSO Party, and the ARRL SS phone contests. I had a voice keyer before this one and the audio never sounded clean enough to me. This one sounds great, and I get very nice, unsolicited, feedback on how well it sounds.

AK0M Rating: 0/5 Dec 9, 2001 22:00 Send this review to a friend
POOR quality and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed my new MFJ-434B the week before the CQWW SSB contest. First realization was that the remote control connector is non-standard, and they don't include one (I kludged one by superglueing two PC speaker internal connectors together). Then I found that mine had excessive hiss in the playback audio. This was eventually determined to be a definite defect in the product (brand new). I was told to return it to MFJ; they received it on 9 Nov, assured me one week turnaround, but as of 9 Dec. I still don't have it or a promise date. They decided they would repair it rather than replace it, so I am still waiting for repairs and continually getting the run-around on my queries to them. My intent was to use it in all the fall contests, but...
So, potentially it could be a good product, but I have no way of knowing.
My first MFJ experience, will be my last.
I've asked for a full refund.

NN6XX Rating: 3/5 Apr 13, 2000 23:13 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-434 needed improvements  Time owned: unknown months
The 434 works fine but could be easily improved.
Here are some requests I sent to MFJ for the "B"
model:

1-Like a switch for keyer/pulse-tone/two-tone/isolated computer audio(for psk31/sstv). 2-
Like level logic for remote to rs232/LPT.

3-Like audio-in from headphones(stereo) to pass-thru to phones-out not just record.
4-Like audio-out test jack for scope.

5-Most users of a voice keyer will probably be contesters using the combo
heil/mfg headsets so the mic/phones cord mess needs rear minature inputs in addition to front
mic jack.