Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-2000/2000D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2000/2000D
Yaesu FT-2000/2000D Reviews: 207 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $2.995
Description: HF/VHF-Transceiver (160 - 6 m) with 100 Watt output or 200 Watt with external power supply. Successor of the very popular FT-1000MP (Mark-V/Field). RF and LF scope. High dynamic range front end. 6 KHz and 12 KHz Roofing Filters. IF-DSP. Sub receiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2000/2000D.

KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2014 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio ... Now Even BETTER  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was fortunate to get my FT2K-D in 2009 and have really enjoyed the rig and am always learning more about all the features.

My rig is an early model and did not have any of the various front end protection modifications, etc.. that were in the newer rigs.

I had Byron Campbell with Electronic Equipment Service (Tennessee) make all updates/modifications as well as install Jeff Blaine's (AC0C) NS Roofing Filter.

WOW .. what a change and improvement. As noted, my GREAT rig is now even BETTER.

The NS Roofing Filter from AC0C is extraordinary for my general SSB work ... I'm not a contester and can see how this filter would work wonders in their environment.

My kudos go out to Jeff Blaine - AC0C for his work in the development of the NS Roofing Filter and the fantastic work by Byron Campbell - WA4GEG and his work on my rig.

Thanks to both of these folks for helping make my FT2K-D the BETTER rig.

Nolan Kienitz
KI5IO
Plano, TX

K6RAH Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2013 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied with performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FT-2000 used in May 2012 from a listing on QRZ.com. It's a great rig, so you don't see too many for sale. The rig has worked flawlessly from the start. I am still learning how to use all of the receiver features and audio controls. There is a button or knob for everything on the front panel but the layout is well-designed. As a newer production model, there were none of the original problems reported when the model was brand new. I have performed two updates of the firmware now and the unit works very well. I had a FT-450AT before and liked its performance too, but it had too many frequently used menu-driven items to suit me as a DXer. Also, having two VFOs makes working DX using split very simple and effective. The speech compression works well and I consistently get good signal and audio reports. So far, I've only used the unit on SSB and a bit of PSK31...no CW yet. Proof of performance is the number of DX stations I have worked using only the FT-2000 at 100 Watts to a random length wire using an auto coupler at its base. I may add a panadapter (spectrum scope) in 2014. At this point, I am not even tempted to spring for any upscale transceiver. Perhaps, a Hex Beam and/or an HF amplifier is in my future.

EI4KE Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now had the 2000 for abt 3 years now and it does what it say on the can. I have the latest PEP upgrades and the rig just gets better. I run it with the FL7000 linear, auto band change, 400 watts and great audio with the Heil Goldline.
I was going to change to the FT3000 but I think it would be a retrograde step.....
I don't think I will change it any time soon.

WC4R Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 05:28 Send this review to a friend
A real keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave this a rating of 5 because the FT2000 is a great rig (not perfect). I tend to compare this radio against my IC746PRO, Drake R4C w/ Sherwood mods, TenTec Orion, & Flex 5000A.
It stacks up very well and I use the Yaesu at least 50% of the time. The radio has all the normal features any ham will need. It does not have the features or performance of my Flex but for the cost, it stacks up very well. The only weak area is the 3KHz filter which is hardly any better than the 6KHz filter. Of course you could do the mod for the AC0C filter if needed to fix that.
I do not use a DMU as I do not see the value of that expensive option. Beside, my Flex blows that part of it away. Not a fair comparison.
TX audio is outstanding. Even AM performance is very good. For voice, CW, digital, casual or DX, this radio is a real keeper. Simple to operate, and ergonomically pleasing. Wonderful for Field Day. The fit, finish, and overall feel is top quality.
It is a real shame it has been discontinued. The newer 3000 model does not perform as well and that band scope on the 3000/1200 is a joke.
The latest firmware has eliminated virtually all the old issues of the original units. Yaesu's support has been very good.
For a main stream, better than average HF radio, this is the one to grab.

XW1B Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 23:38 Send this review to a friend
Also 7 years on.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 7+ yrs of hard service I still tip my hat to the FT-2000. I've owned two of them and refuse to part with the one I have now. It has plenty of bells & whistles for me and is a joy to operate.
It got some bad press early on but what radio hasn't?

Never a problem, no issues...simply a very good radio for the money.

Bruce XW1B - XW4XR - 3W3B

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 14:42 Send this review to a friend
7 Years and It still is Chugging!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my FT-2000 as a Christmas present the XYL got me for Christmas of 2006. Yes, there were a few minor problems over the first few years with firmware, but Yaesu made good on them and overall, I like the FT-2000 still. I use mine with the DMU-2000 and a small 8" monitor.

The only fault was the 3 kHz. roofing filter, but I installed the MS roofing filter sold by ACØC to replace the original 3 kHz filter and the rig is superb. I like the fact that you can shut off the AGC for JT-65 use along with other digital modes.

The transmit audio is terrific when using a good mic. I get super audio reports. CW with the rig is a breeze too. I find myself using the FT-2000 as much as I use my Ten-Tec Orion II with tough band conditions.

Now, maybe this year, I wonder if the XYL might have Santa get me an FT-5000?

Bill/K1FPV

DO5DGH Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2013 07:14 Send this review to a friend
A Great Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since end of 2008 I run my FT-2K with a 160m u-Tune-Kit w/o any problems. Itīs true, the 3/6 KHz Roofing Filters are worse. A fine solution for the OEM Filters you will fine here: http://www.ac0c.com.

All over it is a rig for everyday use. A great workhorse! Because of the lack of Roofing Filters my rating is 4/5.

PS. For all Hams which have problems with blowing Pre-Amps while heavy RFI is beaming though shack - doing something wrong. These guys should think about a new or rather correct rig up of their radio station.

73 GEORG_DO5DGH_TVO160M

N4URW Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2013 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Best by far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the 100 watt version of the FT-2000 and I upgraded to the "D" model, 200 watt version a few months back before they discontinued them. I have to say that this is one of the best HF radio's that I have ever owned. I even rank it above the ICOM 7600 in which I owned for a short time and went back to Yaesu. I think it is a top-notch radio with the increased power to 200 watts. I am able to run my AMP with very little power. I am a Yaesu fan and always will be. They continue to set the bar high in communications.

2E0DLM Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Good radio. 100%  Time owned: months
1st Class for the money. Excellent Transmit and good Receiver. Need to read the user manual thoroughly for setting up the radio, Transmit Audio especially and AGC. DSP works well but I do wonder is there is any receive loss with it on very weak signals. My contour setting is +8.
Mine is standard but with the 11.54 and 1.56 firmware. 1.56 is the penultimate version. I still use a BHI noise gate on the audio when necessary. In my opinion the FT3K noise floor is lower then the FT2K but the RF gain in my opinion is lower as well and the FT3K has only 1 receiver. Backward Step from Yaesu?. Better radio? Maybe if you pull out 3 times the money and then it will be mainly bells, whistles, gongs and dancing girls. Just my opinion. In conclusion the FT2000 is the best radio that I have ever had and I will keep it. It deserves a 5 rating on value and performance. It seems to me that radio amateurs are getting like Hi-Fi buffs inasmuch as a lot of them listen to the equipment instead of the incoming and outgoing performance. Great radio the FT2K. Love it. MIKE. 73 M0MPT.

OE5RBO Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2013 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think the FT2000 was for long time the best "bang" for given money. Got my first FT2000 in 2011 and will keep it the next years.

In fact I do not understand how the FT3000 should be an acceptable alternative for the 2000 - because the 2nd receiver is missing!
And, what really hit me: Yaesu did not added a transverter-connector like available in FT2000.

I found the FT2000 (100W Version) a compact radio, showing nearly every needed option. Even that it did not reached a good rating at Sherwood: I personally do not have the antennas to get a problem on the receiverīs IM-performance.
Several times i received comments on my good audio without asked and the available setup-options are exceeding my demands.

So i think that this radio will be a keeper in my shack.