Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-2000/2000D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2000/2000D
Yaesu FT-2000/2000D Reviews: 210 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $2.995
Description: HF/VHF-Transceiver (160 - 6 m) with 100 Watt output or 200 Watt with external power supply. Successor of the very popular FT-1000MP (Mark-V/Field). RF and LF scope. High dynamic range front end. 6 KHz and 12 KHz Roofing Filters. IF-DSP. Sub receiver.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2000/2000D.

AC6VW Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2016 01:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Solid Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig had a lot of bad press from the pre PEP that skews the ratings.
I'll just cover some of the same things already mentioned.
No, I don't see a lot of difference in 3k and 6k roofing filters.
The DSP is pretty good, much better once I jad some seat time and learned how to adjust it.
Contour is a great tool.
Forget the DMU. I run an if-2000 and sdr-iq and it is now a fantastic rig. Programs like SDRdx (not well known) make filters that are brick walls and the panadapter is great with a fast gaming computer driving it with high fft numbers.
The D version is a terrific upgrade in my opinion as I run it in class A mode driving my Alpha. Nothing but stellar audio reports for last 5 years with a P-40 from dx bw and proc to 4k wide and equalized internally.
Add the external mtu filters and you have some real capabilities.
I was looking at upgrading to a ts990 or a ic7700/7851 recently and I decided with my computer + ft2000D I wouldnt be gaining anything except a little better roofing filter if I have ectremely strong sigs really close on contests. I've been there and a little adjusting of the rf gain and using conture, notch etc does more than make up for it. Multi/Multi and you might need better, but then your into the 8k + radios anyway.
Learn all the features at your disposal with this rig and I cant imagine needing more.
VA3PWC Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2016 09:54 Send this review to a friend
From FTDX 3000 to FT2000D  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are regular ham radio operator, who likes to rag chew with friend and donīt mind about DXing and serious contests, you should skip my comments from now.
I am serious contester and dxer, so I donīt care that much about ultra modern LCD screen radio or real time spectrum scope or others things built in with FTDX3000. I really care about ERGONOMICS and RECEPTION.
I am sorry for those who likes FTDX3000 but frankly speaking, I canīt compare 3000 with way... My FT2000 has the last Yaesuīs updated firmware and also the AC0C roofing filter installed in. The FT2000 with those changes seems another class of radio. This radio is now perfect for contests and dxīs. Good thing is FT2000īs prices are really down now and itīs a great opportunity for those who had a bad experience in the past, now to try it again.
For those who really likes the FTDX 3000, I would say that your radio is closer to FT 950 replacement than FT2000. No way to compare the FTDX3000 with FT2000. First of all, FT2000 has the second receiver build it and internal power supply, and for me that is really important since you like DX, chasing expeditions or being a contester. 2 x RX antenna in,VRF , Variable passband countour control, Adjustable Variable TX Bandwidth (up to 4Khz - not good for dx or contest..I prefer to keep it on 2.4Khz or less), VU smeter with many functions, you can control your Yaesu Rotor using the botton f1 to f5 buttons. Another good thing is the Ergonomics. Mostly all buttons and function are next your hand. If you check your FTDX3000 front face, you will see just few buttons and most of functions have to go into the menu in case you want to change some parameters. During a contest we canīt waste time entering in many menus to adjust something. Thatīs why I consider a FT2000 a very good contest radio, like the old FT1000D and FT1000MP series. I have also TS590S, FT1000MP, Icom IC746Pro, IC 751A, TS2000 to compare side by side, but in my opinion I can only compare the FT2000 with FT1000MP which is on the same level of competition.
Now it is time to get the FT2000 because the affordable prices.
73 from Rick PY2EL / VA3PWC
W8NVC Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2014 23:34 Send this review to a friend
The best radio so far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got a mint used ft 2000, I replaced the ft 950.
The 2000 is leaps and bounds away from the 950.
The rx is superb. and the Tx up to 4 khz.
The VRF is nothing short of amazing, I just love this radio.. It makes the 950 look like a toy, Now the ft 950 was a great radio, but can no way shape or form out perform the ft 2000, It's a Monster.
I use it with the DMU 2000. Only 1 caveat and its small, I wish the FT 2000 power was in the menu like the 950, i could change it on the fly and hit a button and it was back to where i had it set for my amp.. Thats the only issue,, Otherwise a great radio... Just love it. If it broke tomorrow i would buy another. When they created the FT 2000 in my opinion they did it right. As with all Ham radios made today, the public is the beta testers, any issues are found by daily users, The bugs all worked out equals a great elite class of Ham radio By Yaesu.
KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2014 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio ... Now Even BETTER  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was fortunate to get my FT2K-D in 2009 and have really enjoyed the rig and am always learning more about all the features.

My rig is an early model and did not have any of the various front end protection modifications, etc.. that were in the newer rigs.

I had Byron Campbell with Electronic Equipment Service (Tennessee) make all updates/modifications as well as install Jeff Blaine's (AC0C) NS Roofing Filter.

WOW .. what a change and improvement. As noted, my GREAT rig is now even BETTER.

The NS Roofing Filter from AC0C is extraordinary for my general SSB work ... I'm not a contester and can see how this filter would work wonders in their environment.

My kudos go out to Jeff Blaine - AC0C for his work in the development of the NS Roofing Filter and the fantastic work by Byron Campbell - WA4GEG and his work on my rig.

Thanks to both of these folks for helping make my FT2K-D the BETTER rig.

Nolan Kienitz
Plano, TX
K6RAH Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2013 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied with performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FT-2000 used in May 2012 from a listing on It's a great rig, so you don't see too many for sale. The rig has worked flawlessly from the start. I am still learning how to use all of the receiver features and audio controls. There is a button or knob for everything on the front panel but the layout is well-designed. As a newer production model, there were none of the original problems reported when the model was brand new. I have performed two updates of the firmware now and the unit works very well. I had a FT-450AT before and liked its performance too, but it had too many frequently used menu-driven items to suit me as a DXer. Also, having two VFOs makes working DX using split very simple and effective. The speech compression works well and I consistently get good signal and audio reports. So far, I've only used the unit on SSB and a bit of CW yet. Proof of performance is the number of DX stations I have worked using only the FT-2000 at 100 Watts to a random length wire using an auto coupler at its base. I may add a panadapter (spectrum scope) in 2014. At this point, I am not even tempted to spring for any upscale transceiver. Perhaps, a Hex Beam and/or an HF amplifier is in my future.
EI4KE Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now had the 2000 for abt 3 years now and it does what it say on the can. I have the latest PEP upgrades and the rig just gets better. I run it with the FL7000 linear, auto band change, 400 watts and great audio with the Heil Goldline.
I was going to change to the FT3000 but I think it would be a retrograde step.....
I don't think I will change it any time soon.
WC4R Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 05:28 Send this review to a friend
A real keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave this a rating of 5 because the FT2000 is a great rig (not perfect). I tend to compare this radio against my IC746PRO, Drake R4C w/ Sherwood mods, TenTec Orion, & Flex 5000A.
It stacks up very well and I use the Yaesu at least 50% of the time. The radio has all the normal features any ham will need. It does not have the features or performance of my Flex but for the cost, it stacks up very well. The only weak area is the 3KHz filter which is hardly any better than the 6KHz filter. Of course you could do the mod for the AC0C filter if needed to fix that.
I do not use a DMU as I do not see the value of that expensive option. Beside, my Flex blows that part of it away. Not a fair comparison.
TX audio is outstanding. Even AM performance is very good. For voice, CW, digital, casual or DX, this radio is a real keeper. Simple to operate, and ergonomically pleasing. Wonderful for Field Day. The fit, finish, and overall feel is top quality.
It is a real shame it has been discontinued. The newer 3000 model does not perform as well and that band scope on the 3000/1200 is a joke.
The latest firmware has eliminated virtually all the old issues of the original units. Yaesu's support has been very good.
For a main stream, better than average HF radio, this is the one to grab.
XW1B Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 23:38 Send this review to a friend
Also 7 years on.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 7+ yrs of hard service I still tip my hat to the FT-2000. I've owned two of them and refuse to part with the one I have now. It has plenty of bells & whistles for me and is a joy to operate.
It got some bad press early on but what radio hasn't?

Never a problem, no issues...simply a very good radio for the money.

Bruce XW1B - XW4XR - 3W3B
K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 14:42 Send this review to a friend
7 Years and It still is Chugging!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my FT-2000 as a Christmas present the XYL got me for Christmas of 2006. Yes, there were a few minor problems over the first few years with firmware, but Yaesu made good on them and overall, I like the FT-2000 still. I use mine with the DMU-2000 and a small 8" monitor.

The only fault was the 3 kHz. roofing filter, but I installed the MS roofing filter sold by ACØC to replace the original 3 kHz filter and the rig is superb. I like the fact that you can shut off the AGC for JT-65 use along with other digital modes.

The transmit audio is terrific when using a good mic. I get super audio reports. CW with the rig is a breeze too. I find myself using the FT-2000 as much as I use my Ten-Tec Orion II with tough band conditions.

Now, maybe this year, I wonder if the XYL might have Santa get me an FT-5000?

DO5DGH Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2013 07:14 Send this review to a friend
A Great Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since end of 2008 I run my FT-2K with a 160m u-Tune-Kit w/o any problems. Itīs true, the 3/6 KHz Roofing Filters are worse. A fine solution for the OEM Filters you will fine here:

All over it is a rig for everyday use. A great workhorse! Because of the lack of Roofing Filters my rating is 4/5.

PS. For all Hams which have problems with blowing Pre-Amps while heavy RFI is beaming though shack - doing something wrong. These guys should think about a new or rather correct rig up of their radio station.