Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-2000/2000D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2000/2000D
Yaesu FT-2000/2000D Reviews: 208 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $2.995
Description: HF/VHF-Transceiver (160 - 6 m) with 100 Watt output or 200 Watt with external power supply. Successor of the very popular FT-1000MP (Mark-V/Field). RF and LF scope. High dynamic range front end. 6 KHz and 12 KHz Roofing Filters. IF-DSP. Sub receiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2000/2000D.

OE5RBO Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2013 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think the FT2000 was for long time the best "bang" for given money. Got my first FT2000 in 2011 and will keep it the next years.

In fact I do not understand how the FT3000 should be an acceptable alternative for the 2000 - because the 2nd receiver is missing!
And, what really hit me: Yaesu did not added a transverter-connector like available in FT2000.

I found the FT2000 (100W Version) a compact radio, showing nearly every needed option. Even that it did not reached a good rating at Sherwood: I personally do not have the antennas to get a problem on the receiver´s IM-performance.
Several times i received comments on my good audio without asked and the available setup-options are exceeding my demands.

So i think that this radio will be a keeper in my shack.

W3BJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2013 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I cant figure out what Yaesu was thinking by doing away with the 2000. They replaced it with the 3000 which has single rx, no built in power supply and about 1/2 the paramenters. The rx and tx audio cant be any better than the my 2000, maybe the DSP and signal procesing is upgraded, but no where near the radio the 2000 was. Just made a deal to purchase another 2000

JG1RVN Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2013 01:09 Send this review to a friend
FT2000D with NS filter of AC0C : FB!   Time owned: more than 12 months
FT-2000D is improved by NS-FILTER. I was able to communicate with Europe by SSSP propagation on 50MHz. FT-2000D caught the weak European signal which was able to be inserted between the station of strong Tokyo surely. Dual RX with the 300Hz Collins filter is splendid. The knob which I want to operate is easily found in the front panel. The program of the DSP was improved frequently, and the operation feeling was improved markedly.
It is thought that there is different choice if I demand high-quality feel of a material. However, FT-2000D is very good choice if I buy a radio machine communicating with foreign countries routinely superior in a cost value.

JA1ML Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2013 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very happy with my 2000, best radio ever. Nice features like the more expensive FTdx-9000 series at a price more affordable to me.

PY2EAK Rating: 0/5 Jan 27, 2013 06:09 Send this review to a friend
It breaks without reason and is not attended in Brazil  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FT2000D about March, 2011, and I brougth it to Brazil correctly as it is allowed.It worked in my usual QSOs with European, Americans, and Asian amateurs in all the bands, giving good 200 watts and tuning very well my dipole and vertical antennas. As I live in a region with thundering storms, I use to ground carefully all the antennas before disconnecting the radios. I felt at that time – 2011 – that the FT2000D receivers were not so good, so, following one of the reviews here, I bought the mu-filters for the 40-80 and 20-30 bands, which come in some way “to be mounted”. I mounted and connected them, taking lots of space in the desk of my shack, and suddenly, two or three days after that, the receivers lost 50% of their sensitivity. I compared this with my old FT847, and my VX5000, and the rig was almost mute. I look for the Yaesu Co., because the rig was in the warranty period, and I found that Yaesu has not representative in Brazil. They did not answer my e-mails neither the one sent by the Chief Engineer in my University, so I contacted the dealer there. They were very attentive, but refused to repair the rig, asking me to send the rig to them, and they will send it to Yaesu. The bureaucracy and transportation to the States could cost between three and four thousand!! – so I decided to buy on IC – 7600 and look for some technician to repair it here. I got it repaired, but I found it lousy as compared with my other cheaper rigs.

N3YV Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2013 18:33 Send this review to a friend
I love Yaesu   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I been thru some very good radios in the pass year from the TS-590 TS-870 FT-950 and they're all very good but I like ESSB and the FT-2000 can play there very well with everything I need to make sound like a million bucks and I was lucky to get one loaded with the AC0C R.filter and OMG what a beauty to listen too, also everything about it is just sweet and not too much menu to mess around with, super elegant in the shack,,,to me is the 007 of the radios with a license to kill !!!

WB4YAL Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2013 12:44 Send this review to a friend
5 Days and very impressed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased my FT 2000D 5 days ago and I am IN LOVE! For years I have used my venerable old TS 850SAT with Narrow CW and sideband filters and a great receiver. But I got to try out an FT 2000 and just had to have one. Last Friday, I took the plunge. I bought the FT 2000D, SP 2000 and MD100 mic as well as the DMU 2000.
Here is what I like most about the FT 2000D:
1) Nice tuning knob
2) Well laid out controls
3) Dual In-band receive
4) A BEAUTIFUL looking rig!
5) Excellent Transmit audio and Receive Audio
6) 200 WATTS out

I know there are some who will say "200 watts is only 3 S units. Well, I did a side by side comparison with my TS 850 running 100 watts out to my 40 meter inverted vee on CW to a station I was working in EASTERN EUROPE. The station on the other end commented that my signal with POOR band conditions on 40 meters was Much more readable on the FT 2000D. I have had similar reports when I duplicate the test with CW stations that I work on bands where the conditions are poor to marginal copy. And the 75 watts Class A should drive my amp very well. Bottom Line: I think that I made a wise purchase and I am enjoying my new toy. I can't wait for the next CW contest to put it thru the paces!

KD5OM Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2013 07:57 Send this review to a friend
A High Performer.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of the earlier FT-2000's back in 2006. The serial number tells me mine was lot number 3 from the factory. At the time all my serious DXer friends seem to favor Yaesu so that was the reason for the choice. I was wanting a radio with a dual receiver (not just dual VFOs) and non of the "Brand I" radios in my budget range had such.

OK, I called it a high performer but I only give it a 4. A 5 is reserved only for the absolutely top notch. That's kind of like giving a pretty girl a Ten. Only Tens get to be a Ten. The FT-2000 is not. But on a scale of 1 to 5 I would give it 4 1/2.

I've added the RF-Space IF-2000 board, LP-PAN2 and Creative 0204|USB external sound card for a panadapter. See my photo on QRZ.com. A great tool for when contesting or trolling for new DX. I found a FH-2 remote on ebay that makes reaching the pre-recorder buttons much easier. The recorder buttons are very tiny and partially hidden under the bottom row of knobs and difficult to see. I operate about half CW and half SSB or what ever the DX station is operating. The pre-recorded Qs is a nice feature when contesting or breaking the pileups.

The inevitable finally happened. I blew the first pre-amp aka "IPO1". This is a reported problem on the earlier FT-2000s (I am told lot 43 and earlier). I repaired it myself. A tiny surface mount transistor. Find my video on YouTube where I fixed it. Go to YouTube and search KD5OM.

Would I buy it again today? Maybe not. I really think I would take a very serious look at the Elecraft K3 and it's entire line up of accessories. From what I have seen I think the K3 could very well get that 5.

AJ4RW Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2013 02:54 Send this review to a friend
Still the best bang for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first FT-2000d in 2009 and have never looked back. After selling my high end competitors rig, I thought it would be difficult to replace the quality but I was wrong. The overall performance of the FT-2000d is hard to beat. The filtering is superb and in a contest, the adjacent signals are kept at bay which is what I care the most about. I was able to tweak my TX audio to a point where working a pileup is much simpler than it used to be. In fact, I've been asked for my TX audio settings by others. I love the featuers of this radio so much I went out and bought another FT-2000!

G4RNI Rating: 3/5 Oct 18, 2012 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Mediocre  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned an early FT-2000 and a 2010 FT-2000D.
I'll agree the DSP is good, tx audio very good, facilities to adjust tx & rx parameters superb but...

Cheap & nasty, plasticky knobs.
Illogical placement of sub rx AF/RF gain controls on the left & main controls on the right of a pair whilst the sub tuning is on the right side of the front panel & main is in the centre. Minor point but could easily have been sub on the right under NB/SQL & main on the left under SPEED/PITCH.

Worst gripe? The "3kHz" & "6kHz" roofing filters which are nothing like their claimed bandwidth. It may seem a minor point but various lab tests show the 3kHz filter to be more like 8kHz @ -6dB and the 6 around 10kHz @ -6dB.

You don't think that's serious? It's taken YEARS for the big 3 to accept that a wide-open front end is a major source of IMD problems whilst too many operators just think the bands are noisy an so we're sold DSP NR to hide the shortcomings.

a 3kHz filter ought to be 3kHz.