Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-707 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-707
ICOM IC-707 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $600.00
Description: All ham bands HF rig, 5-100W output, very basic controls.
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic707/ic707.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-707.

KE7WAV Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 17:38 Send this review to a friend
FB rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased mine at a hamfest locally from a guy I know for $200. I have been a ham for several years and owned boat anchors and QRP rigs. This is a fantastic little rig! It is very simple and straight forward, but it also gets out without any problems. I prefer the QSK of my Ten Tec on CW, but it is a solid FB rig.

The only down side that I have found is that during the winter it doesn't warm my shack like a boat anchor :-)

I have received great audio reports on CW. Also, when my brother, who is not a ham, came over I showed it off a bit using SSB and it did well there too.

N7JPF Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2012 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice Mobile Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought this little unit off ebay to replace my dead Yaesu as a mobile rig. I am super impressed and pleased. It is so much fun to use. It marries up to my LDG tuner, and a quick press of the tuner button easily tunes to my Outbacker Perth with no difficulty. Fun to work mobile again. I do miss having a good CW filter in it, but might ad that soon.

KD8SGE Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2012 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Good starter rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first rig as a ham and I can't recommend it enough for the beginner. I have a lot to learn and, with the ease of this radio's operation, I have been able to jump into the world of ham radio relatively painlessly without being intimidated by the endless knobs and menus of other newer, more expensive rigs.

I currently use it bare bones without any of the filters -- mainly operating CW -- and haven't had many problems with it thus far. Sure, I won't be seriously contesting using the 707 sans the cw filters, but it gets the job done. I've gotten great signal reports running only about 5-15 watts to a random wire antenna.

Don't get me wrong, I do expect to upgrade to another rig in the future, but I expect the 707 to always have a home in my shack. I imagine it'll make a great, serviceable "back-up" rig.

I1QII Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2010 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice Solid Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this radio from 7 years, Vy solid and nice.
Agc not perfect and basic rig but happy to own it.
I keep it in holiday-house and is always ready
when i need it.

KC9QVD Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2010 22:29 Send this review to a friend
LOVE IT!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is little radio but it mighty! Im only a tech so all I can use for now is 10 meters! I got this thing hooked to a Imax 2000 at 32 feet and I all kinds of 59 qso reports on 10 meters when it's up!! The only bad thing I can say is the the noise filtering leaves something to be desired but for a first HF rig I like it the best and I had tryed others but this one was the best by far!!!

K5LDL Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2009 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Great beginner's rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I once owned this radio and I daily kick myself for having sold it. I loved this rig! Super easy to operate, great audio reports, very unassuming looks....

IF I could have another one, I'd buy it! The addition of the FM board makes 10M fm DX a fun activity. NO other basic HF rig has FM in it anymore! Why is that? Anyway....

I had mine set up for CW with a key and paddle. I used a Heil Ic Mic, one of the very first mics Bob made for the ICOM line, a MatchBox and a G5RV with a switch to go over to an Antron 99. Yeah yeah yeah, I know... But I loved it.

Like I said... If I could get my greedy mitts on another one? I'd buy it!

73!

Luis KD5KJD

W7AMX Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2008 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Good-Solid-Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine since 1993, right after they first came out. The first thing I noticed was the VFO stability and the receiver sensitivity. The lack of a speech processor is the only issue, but...even so, the audio reports I've gotten have always been good. I have added a microphone with a compressor, but don't use it that much. There's something about the looks also...I just like the way it sits. The S-meter takes a little getting used to, but after awhile you can 'Kentucky windage' AKA: SWAG the reading pretty well...hi. Just don't want to part with it, even though I've bought more fancy-schmancy rigs...it's definatly a keeper!! I've got the CW filter, FM module and the TCXO (for IF on 10 Gig). Use it on ALL modes (yes - AM) and digital too. If you find one, snag it...and keep it.

VK5GI Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2006 03:29 Send this review to a friend
First-class rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Coming back into Ham radio after an enforced break of some 6-7 years, I needed a small, inexpensive and easy to use rig. I found one in the Icom IC-707. This rig of mine has the narrow CW filter (which is kinda essential for serious cw work) but no FM option and I haven't missed it! The rig does everything that is asked of it, puts out a good signal, has a ripper of a NB/preamp/atennuator which REALLY work, and hasn't faltered being on 12 hours a day. I picked it up for Aus$250 (US$200) and I consider it to be a real bargain. Downside? Well, maybe but I haven't found one yet! I'm not selling this one - it's a keeper!
Kind regards Norm vk5jnl

K4DV Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2006 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Good solid basic HF rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I ran one of these for quite awhile mobile and in the shack and it performed well. I didn't have any filters in mine and with the new DSP units out now, it would be left out, but it is a good, dependable, solid rig made to do what radios are supposed to do and that is transmit and receive quality signals. Always got good reports on my audio and it had a really good receiver as well. If you can pick one of these up cheap, jump on it. You won't go wrong with this one.

KA5HZV Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2005 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this radio for 4 years in an 18 wheeler and it never failed me. Coupled with a screwdriver antenna I worked stations all over the country as well as DX from may parts of the world. It's a simple rig that is very tough yet very responsive. I still have the radio now and use it as a qrp to the field rig and will soon be mounting it in my sailboat for MM operations.
At home I use an ic-756, but the ic-707 still has a place in my shack.