Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-707 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-707
ICOM IC-707 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $600.00
Description: All ham bands HF rig, 5-100W output, very basic controls.
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic707/ic707.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-707.

N5UV Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2003 01:48 Send this review to a friend
Great digital HF work-horse radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio (3rd. hand, no less) for 2 years, and its the best, simplest radio I've ever used. Receiver is excellent, instructions very easy and intuitive to follow. Gets 99% of my radio work, my Heathkit and Yaesu FT 101 just gather dust in the meantime. Only complaint would be the audio speaker that comes with it. It's typically a bit too "tinney" for my ears. But there have been a few times where that characteristic helped out with copy on weak or garbled SSB signals, so that's not worth deducting any points off. I normally use a separate speaker cabinet since I'm wired for PSK31 more times than not

Some may complain about the lack of notch or IF shift filters on it. But for it's price ($200 used), it's a great bargain. The PERFECT backup rig for your Yaesu FT 1000 while it's in the shop, HIHI.

N7BUI Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2003 23:43 Send this review to a friend
Good basic rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned an IC-707 for three months now. I received it in a trade and its a keeper. Good basic radio that works very well. Its only downside that I can comment on is that an IF bandwidth control would have been a nice touch. But I use it every day as a main radio and its easy to use.

WB8DQT Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2002 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Great value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a fine basic radio. Got mine bare bones and later added the narrow CW filter. I have used it on CW, PSK-31, and SSTV at both QRP and QRO power levels. Reports have always been excellent. Features are limited but that suits me fine as I can't forget how to run it if I've been off the air for a while!

MW0CVW Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2002 15:18 Send this review to a friend
radio review  Time owned: more than 12 months
MW0CVW I HAVE USED THE RADIO ON ALL THE HF BANDS VOICE,SSTV,PSK31,CW,FM,AND FOUND IT PERFORMS VERY WELL A GOOD BASIC RIG WITH NO FRILLS.I HAVE ALL THE OPTIONS FITTED NARROW CW FILTER ETC AND AM VERY PLEASED,I ALSO USE AN EXTERNAL DSP FILTER,FOR RECEIVE JUST TO HELP OUT.

IZ2EAS Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2002 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio new in July 2001; the price was quite attractive since it was the end of the stock (being replaced by the IC-718). I must admit that it is great value for the money; it is a very rugged radio, and I often get unsolicited congrats on the quality of my modulation (I'm using the original microphone). I have made almost 1000 contacts since. The only drawback is a quite noisy fan (noise worsens with time) and veeeery laaaarge bandwidth in AM - if you like BCLing, you have to resort to LSB/USB quite often.

N8ZUZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2001 20:38 Send this review to a friend
First problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I already gave a review. The radio is on 24/7 on a pactor email server. I did some maintenance on the radio the other day. The display backlighting burned out on the left half of the display. I took the radio apart and found the cooling fan was very hard to turn by hand. I replaced it (thanks Icom for a generic 12v cooling fan that was simple to find a spare part for) with one I had on the shelf. The radio has been on 24/7 almost 2 years now so it's about time for a problem. Still a good solid rig.

K2VI Rating: 3/5 Mar 27, 2001 20:08 Send this review to a friend
fair rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the 707 for a few months.it is a very rugged rig. The duty cycle is truely 100%. The radio does not get hot. But the fan runs once you put the radio on.and its quite noisy. It also has no way of filtering what so ever. You are stuck with the interference. I would take a yaesu ft-840 any day. A better rig on all levels.

SKI Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2001 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I like it because it is compact and can be used as a base, mobile or portable. I use it as a base and work CW and SSB. I also like it because it is not as complicated as many of the rigs now on the market.

AC4SR Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2001 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use inexpensive rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great beginner rig or a second rig for anybody looking for a backup. Have used 707 for 2+ years now and have no intention of getting rid of it. Use is very straight forward and audio and sound qualities (transmit and receive) are good. Only drawback would be filter option limitations. Radio will only accomodate one CW filter...but then again, I guess that's how they have kept the $ down.

N8ZUZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2000 14:25 Send this review to a friend
solid rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run an HF Pactor email station. The server consists of an IC707 controlled by a home-brew CT-17 level converter. It's on the air 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It actually is transmitting about 4 hours a day. It has never had a problem. It's certainly a basic rig but it seems pretty durable if you know what Pactor is like.

I used it for voice a little bit and the transmitted audio was very clear I was told.