Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Cushcraft MA160V Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft MA160V
Cushcraft MA160V Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $199,95 - 229,95
Description: 160-Meter Vertical Monopole Antenna with top loading coil plus capacitive hat
Frequency (MHz): 1.8 - 2.0
Bandwidth (2.1 SWR): 40kHz
Weight (kg): 5.44
Height: 30` to 36`
Power: 1500-Watt
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft MA160V.

WA7NB Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2013 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For a compact antenna, the MA160V out performs my expectations in most areas. With an antenna tuner, I have played successfully on all the other bands. Worked Spratly, Clipperton, etc. thru pileups. I purchased 2- 65 ft radial kits from DX Engineering so I have 40 radials out.
on 160 meters, the antenna does not hear as well as I had hoped but I have worked into South America and the caribbean fairly easily. If you own a small lot, this antenna is your answer.

G0MMI Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2013 23:56 Send this review to a friend
Update to my last review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the MA-160 for sometime now and I would say that its also 3 banded. I use a IC-AT500 auto atu to tune for 40m and 30m. I work Pacific on SSB and CW on 40m and 30m without any problems but its useless on 80m.

N1TX Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Easy assembly, affordable, effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First QSO out of the box from Fairbanks, Alaska, was T32C!

I was pleased to see a decent 1.1:1 match after simply following the manual for installation. All those "for most installation" qualifiers you find for a lot of products leave me cynical. Dan KL1JP did much of the pre-assembly and then brought the bigger pieces over to screw together and erect on a tiltable mount he made some time back for a previous (and failed) installation of a short vertical for Top Band. The location was adjacent to several large spruce and poplar trees near the edge of my septic field. I promised him I would get the radials out before snow fell, and I did. Barely.

Dan built a wooden "shoe" to place in the ground and serves as an inexpensive tilt mount. A carriage bolt through the antenna base and two wooden vertical supports provides the pivot point, so there is no direct metal connection between the base and the ground. A 1.5" OD steel pipe is driven next to the wooden "shoe", and a jumper from the radial plate connects to the pipe, secured with a hose clamp. The manual talks about initially laying out three radials 20-50 feet long. I chose 50 feet, spaced them about 120 degrees. After connecting the wires to the radial plate, I took some cheap metal tent stakes and anchored the radial wires several inches from the base and again at the very ends, so they laid relatively flat. To connect the coax, I used a female panel mount SO-239. I soldered an 8" piece of wire to the center conductor cup on the back side of the SO-239 and secured it further by using about 2" of shrink tubing to prevent a lot of stress on the center pin. I looped one end of the other wire through one of the screw holes on the panel mount connector and soldered it, then attached both wires to their respective feed points near the bottom of the antenna. I was then able to make a current choke with about 4 loops of RG213, attached the PL-259 to the femal SO-239, covered both with Coax Seal. Voila!

The best VSWR (1.1:1) was at around 1860. The book says to add more radials 25-40 ft long and watch the VSWR come down to 1:1, but I decided to leave well enough alone for now. Also, I thought about adjusting the stinger to bring the tuning down to around 1840 kHz. Before I could do that, a lot of wet snow fell, which brought the tuning down in frequency anyway. For the "enhanced" radial system, the manual says to lay out 16-64 radials of 50-60 feet. Maybe in the spring.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2011 20:26 Send this review to a friend
After 8 months  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been really amazed at how well this short antenna works - and is even pretty darn good on receive.

I have easily worked into VK/ZL, Oceania, Asia, South America and Central America as well as the Caribbean. (I know anecdotal lists of who you worked doesn't say much about an antenna . . . . ).

This means - enough places from the West Coast to get to DXCC on 160M, which will net me 9BDXCC when this is done., and which is my goal.

With a tuner, it also works well on many other bands.

N0AH Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2010 19:42 Send this review to a friend
awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Worked 532 QSO's during ARRL 160M CW test this December- Only missed PR, NT and NL. The missing mast section was replaced immediately. Now have 26 buried radials provides an SWR of 5.3:1 at resonance so using an Amidon W2FMI to match the antenna at the feedpoint for a 1.6;1 match. 15KHz of 3:1 bandwidth. Pro III can tune for a range of 30KHz, using Dentron 2000 for the entire band- Using K9AY single loop for received. Very small lot in the middle of the suburbs- worked the ZL8X guys with 100 watts (no amps here) Strongly suggest this antenna- very fb- Be sure to put in adequate readial field- less than 16 are just not enough as I noticed considerable improved efficiency past this number- Radials average 50 feet, with some folded back-

N0AH Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2010 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna but missing major part-  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I'm glad I had a spare Cushcraft 80/40V as the MA160 was missing a 6 foot section of Aluminum mast-

Went together well- 30KHz 2:5 to 1 bandwidth- Worked a VE5 on first call in CQWWSSB on 100W....HUGE improvement over 55 foot 30-160 1/4 sloper. Now I have to add some real radial wire as supplied wire is needle thin junk- that is my reason for the 4- Tied a couple of 12 AWG radials into the existing 50 buried 80/40V radial field- antennas sit about 60 feet apart- I think the missing mast section will be replaced very soon-

73 Paul N0AH

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2010 05:28 Send this review to a friend
160M from a Small Lot  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I understand the limitations of having such a short antenna on 160M, but I am very glad that Cushcraft produced this antenna. I have used an MA8040V, so I am very familiar how this antenna should work. I ordered and received my antenna from one of the last few places that seem to have the old Cushcraft or Laird production runs - and my box had a Laird label on it.

Construction was very easy - and in fact, a lot of fun. Using the trunk of a tree - I could easily walk it up straight, and it is so well balanced, it didn't want to walk away from me. It is incredibly strong and light - I was surprised that the aluminum didn't bend more while I was walking it up.

I have mine attached to an 8' 4 x 4 that is cemented 3' in the ground.

I added a large transmitting variable capacitor (one I bought years ago from either Ten Tec or Palstar) and have that at the base. The stinger on mine is extended to get me to the lowest frequency, and the variable cap that I added lets me now tune from 1810 to 1890 with an SWR of 1.1:1. This is exactly the bandwidth I wanted, and being able to tune at the base is much easier than taking it down to tune the stinger.

I use a homebrew K9AY on receive, and while short - and a compromise - this antenna will surely help me get to DXCC on 160M - in the next several years.

NI0C Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2009 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Short, but effective, antenna for Top Band  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Due to the constraints of my property (not the least of which is a HV line crossing the backyard), I just can't put up an inverted "L" for 160m. For the past several years, I've struggled to work DX with an HF-2V vertical, but even after adding considerable top loading, I was often the last one heard in the pileups.

This new Cushcraft antenna really gets out, and I'm even breaking pileups with it. With a modest ground system, I found I needed to use a 32:50 Ohm unun (by Balun Designs) at the feedpoint to get a good match, and my 2:1 SWR bandwidth is 20 KHz.

VE9DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2008 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Ideal for my small lot  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have to tell you the results I have with this antenna are nothing less than outstanding. True I am not the first one through in a pileup but for some reason I seem to be heard.
My station is simple, running only 30 watts at best (completely battery powered). Not having room for even a dipole, the MA160V was worth a shot. I have 15 short radials under the antenna which is ground mounted. None of the radials are more than 30 feet long.
The MA160V seemed to be a sure but simple way to get on the band.
Well since I installed the antenna a couple years ago, I have managed to work 140+ countries
including the likes of 5A,5W,CE,FO/m,JA,RK0,
VK,VK9(N),VP6(D),ZL etc. Even completed a WAS in 1 weekend.
I am impressed. For the small lot owners like myself, the antenna was sure worth the shot.
Thanks Cushcraft...
73 Andy (VE9DX)

KO7SS Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2007 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Easy solution to 160M  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna turned out to be an easy solution to add 160M for the 2007 CQWWCW contest last weekend. I have a Butternut HF6V over 6000' of radials that is mainly used on 80M. The Butternut add on coil is limited to 500W and is said to degrade the 80M performance. I have no trees to run an inverted-L, and I'm not much of an antenna experimenter/homebrewer, I just wanted to buy something and put it up.....

The MA160V is now mounted 10' from the the HF6V and shares the radial system. It took 1 hour from opening the box to having it up in the air. The input impedence was very low due to the extensive radial system, so an open air wire coil was added and now I have 15 kc of < 2:1 on 160M. A tuner gives me 1800-1840.

This antenna is a good deal.....