Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood/Trio TS-711E Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood/Trio TS-711E
Kenwood/Trio TS-711E Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: The TS-711E was designed for the European market and were branded under both the Kenwood and Trio name. Trio badged unit's were mainly for the United Kingdom.
SPECS:
'VHF Base station for the 2m amateur band..
25watt max variable output.
All-Mode AM, FM, USB, LSB, CW.
144-146MHz TS-711E (144-148MHz TS-711A for USA market)
1750Hz Toneburst and European repeater shifts.
DCS digital code squelch.
240v AC mains powered.
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-711_TS-811/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood/Trio TS-711E.

GW8JLY Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2011 04:26 Send this review to a friend
What a fantastic radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hi,
In recent months, not satisfied with the 2m SSB performance of my Kenwood TS2000e and not wishing to spend too much on a brand new rig for this band, I began searching ebay for a dedicated 2m rig with excellent performance. My search ended when I found an immaculate Kenwood TS711e (bought intially in 1990). This was probably the best purchase that I have made for quality and value since obtaining my licence in 1974. Words cannot adequateley describe how pleased I am with this radio. It's a full sized rig (almost the same size as the TS2000e) with all the features I require in a 2m radio used mainly with the SSB mode. The lack of CTCSS is not a real issue for me as I rarely use FM repeaters but if I chose to do so, 3 out of the 4 repeaters in range of my home QTH accept the 1750hz toneburst the radio provides. Power output can be varied from around 2 to 25 watts on all modes - I usually use the radio at 10 watts to drive a SSPA to around 350w output. Locals have congratulated me on the clean signal produced and on the audio quality of my transmitted signal. Received audio quality is also excellent. The radio is quite sensitive and does not suffer from overload with strong adjacent signals. Receive performance is further enhanced with my separate GaAsfet preamp (included in my SSPA). The radio has a "proper" analog S/RF/ALC meter and is unencumbered with the menu system offered in most modern radios - all features can be accessed directly from the front panel. I am also pleased with how the radio can be switched between smooth, continuous VFO tuning on SSB - turning the tuning knob more quickly increases the tuning speed - and click tuning when checking the FM portion of the band or when checking the memories. Click tuning can also be utilised on SSB, if you so desire. For those looking for a single band transceiver dedicated to the 2m band, in my opinion, you can do no better than obtaining a Kenwood TS711e in good condition.

MI3LVZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2009 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Well pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
The two review's before me are spot on. Great performer and on the second hand market are getting quite cheap. If your into VHF dont over look the old girl, plus they also look like what a radio's meant to look like!

G0SLQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2008 05:55 Send this review to a friend
My First & Best Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this in 1991 or thereabouts - in fact i bought it with its twin sister the TS811E - immaculate but used. This radio was used solidly for the next few years - with a variable 2-25W output and superb in every aspect, wonderful TX audio (never needed anything but the stock mic) beautiful receive on both FM and SSB. Repeater shifts, 240V AC for homebase use - could also be used 12V.

When I eventually lost interest in VHF I traded the pair of them. Biggest mistake I ever made. I got an FT 990 - nice radio but soon tired of HF and missed "The Twins".

Even now when I see them pop up from time to time on Ebay - I'm so tempted....