Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | cocoaModem Help

Reviews Summary for cocoaModem
cocoaModem Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $freeware
Description: cocoaModem is a MacOS X application which implements modems
(modulator-demodulators) for some of the Amateur Radio digital modes.
cocoaModem’s name is a reference to the MacOS X Cocoa framework that it
uses. cocoaModem supports RTTY, PSK31 (both BPSK and QPSK),
PSK63, Hellschreiber, a two receiver RTTY interface and a contest interface.
More info: http://www.w7ay.net/site/Applications/cocoaModem/index.html

You can write your own review of the cocoaModem.

AA8OY Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2016 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Great but no longer supported  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great piece of software -- however it is not compatible with the latest OS X . Chen indicated to me today he would no longer be supporting it. Unfortunately it doesn't run properly under El Capitan, failing to transmit frequently. Sometimes changing between the RTTY, DUAL RTTY AND WIDEBAND RTTY will solve the problem.

KJ6ETL Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2012 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Others should follow  Time owned: more than 12 months
Cocoa modem is a awesome application. If only more developers would build applications for our hobby. Almost ordered a Flex-1500 this morning. Tried to run their software under Bootcamp on my MB Pro. Yes it works but its Windows. Wanted to like it. Sorry bought a real transceiver so I can use Cocoa modem for digital modes.
Please please please build more software for OSX !

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2012 14:47 Send this review to a friend
the best for OS X!  Time owned: more than 12 months
there is no equal to this piece of software for Apple OS X

it's CW decoding works very well...

providees our QTH w/WX-Fax maps for hurricane season

offers PSK operation on my rigs (Yaesu, SGC), desktop (iMac 20", OS X 10.5.8) and keying interface, a NOMIC + the cocoaPTT app

fabulous piece of software!

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2011 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for my needs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm just interested in achieving Digital DXCC and maybe working some all time new one's - where going digital has an advantage over other modes. This software is very intuitive - I instantly figured out how to make it work with my USB adapter, Mac and K3. I also had it working before with my FT-2000D - which I sold.

I don't contest, and use Mac LoggerDX for my log, and was able to get both the cocoaModem and macLoggerDX to work with rig control and digi modes with 2 simple USB cables. I do use the SignaLink USB sound card - even though I probably don't need it.

KB2HSH Rating: 4/5 Jan 8, 2011 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Superior Mac software!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let's face it...if you own a Mac, there aren't many choices out there for digital operators. MultiMode forces us to pay the "Mac Tax", and it's not even that good! FLdigi is nice, but it doesn't play well with my machine. But, cocoamodem 2.0 is ALMOST perfect.

As mentioned before, the Table View is the best part of the package. During the PSK Fest, I was able to watch upwards of 10-15 QSOs at a time. My ONLY gripe (and why I couldn't give it a perfect 5) is that you can't choose to keep the Table Viewer on top.

Cocoamodem gives the digital ham the modes that 90% of all digital hams use regularly: PSK31 and 63, MFSK, Domino, RTTY, CW, and Hellschreiber. The contest mode interface is just about as easy and intuitive as you can find...and even includes logging, CABRILLO file creation, and many features found in suites like N1MM.

Great piece of software...GLAD it's free. GLAD it works well. Can't wait for new modes.

AB7R Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2009 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Good program  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've found Cocoamodem to be a fair program but It seemes to decode better on the multiple call window than it does on the main screen. Sometimes decoding on the main display would totally stop while the other window would be humming along.

I think FLDigi decodes better plus it has better macros, mode support and a logbook built in with some contesting ability as well.

But the best thing is both are free! So try them both and keep the one that suits you best. Thanks to the authors of both programs!

Greg
AB7R

N9PBJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2009 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Product! Lacks a couple of features though.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just finished up Field Day weekend using this program for most of my digital modes.
It was being used with an MFJ-1279 digital sound card interface, a Kenwood TS-440, and CocoaPTT.
This was my preferred software package. I switched to Fldigi a couple of times in order to make some contacts with Olivia.
The software performed wonderfully, however it did lock up a couple of times when switching between modes.
The PSK Tableview was incredible. I had the Alarm set for ‘CQ’, and as soon as I saw one pop up I just double clicked it and it tuned right to that signal. The macros were invaluable for quick contacts as well.
Out of the available software packages for the mac, I think this one is by far the cleanest and most ‘finished’ one out there. However, I would like to see support for Olivia in some future version.

KB8AOB Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2009 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using a Mac Mini and the RigBlaster P&P and it works great. I also downloaded the cocoaPTT and it makes quick work of having the RB work perfectly with the MacMini and my Kenwood 140. Great software, easy to setup and fun to use. What more could you ask for?

G4ABX Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2009 01:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent piece of software and great support -- for FREE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using CocoaModem for a couple of years now, so I've been party to all the improvements and upgrades Chen has done and there have been many.

It’s simply the best piece of software available for the Mac digital operator.

I run it on an Intel Mac-MINI (1.6Ghz) with MacLoggerDX and the MicroHam Microkeyer(mk1). I use the MicroHam utility Chen wrote (also free) to manage the mode switching. (Note there is a conflict between MLDX & CocoaModem, so you can't check the 'radio' box on MLDX to get CAT info too/from the K3 using the MicroHam 'virtual port' but its no problem to work around this.)

The CocoaModem interface is clean and intuitive and I've used it during a number of 'data' contests, modifying the XML templates for the RSGB contests I tend to engage in here in the UK.

-- And like all good software, it keeps getting better. The latest PSK 'table' view is a HUGE increase in user convenience and functions effortlessly (even on my weedy 1.6GHz Mac-MINI) with 'point & click' connect to the decode stream you choose to 'work'.

If you are a Mac user interested in data modes, then this is simply the best piece of software available!

73's
Bruce G4ABX

VE5OA Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2009 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Could not be better.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The program is great and support is perfect. Mac owners cannot go wrong with this one.