Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ 1436 RuffRider Tri - bander 6m/2m/70cm Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1436 RuffRider Tri - bander 6m/2m/70cm
MFJ 1436 RuffRider Tri - bander 6m/2m/70cm Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $$79.95
Description: RuffRider Tri-Bander. 59 inches of stacked elements with high-Q phasing coils give you outstanding gain for longer QSOs!
You get a whopping 7.2dB gain on 440 MHz, 4.5 dB gain on 2 Meters and 2.15 dBi gain on 6 meters. Work all your favorite bands with just one antenna! It's perfect for the new triband and multiband radios! MFJ-1436 is factory tuned for SWR less than than 1.5:1 with 50 Ohm impedance. handles 150 Watts. 5" mag recommended.

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1436 RuffRider Tri - bander 6m/2m/70cm.

VE9FK Rating: 1/5 May 3, 2009 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Poorly constructed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned this loser for about three hours -- that's how long it lasted before literally falling apart -- making the cost of ownership about $42 an hour. An all time record.

The top section of the antenna fell off three times. The second time I tightened the locking screw as far as it would go to the point of stripping the screw head. The third time it fell off, I was on a four-lane highway and it was gone for good.

The antenna appeared to offer good RF performance before it self destructed. Too bad MFJ couldn't have spent the extra two cents on a locking screw made of a steel matching that of the antenna element.

Once again MFJ - good design, terrible implementation, and another customer left for dead.

KC8TRL Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2008 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my ant for about 3.5 years and I have not had a problem with it Ialways ge good reaports 5-9/5-9+20 for the price you can not beat it on top of all the the recepyion is great I can hear station on simplex as far as 100miles and I even made a few dx contacts on 2m SSB with just radio power no amps but I am thinking about putting one in one that is about 100watts so if i were you I would grt one if not everyday use just as a back-up ant
73's for now