Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | D2T Giovannini Electromeccanica HF-VHF Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for D2T Giovannini Electromeccanica HF-VHF Antenna
D2T Giovannini Electromeccanica HF-VHF Antenna Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $518,00
Description: D2T Giovannini Electromeccanica HF-VHF Antenna
* 1.5 - 200MHz continuous * 1kW PEP 1.5 - 80MHz * 500W PEP 80 - 200MHz * Input 50 Ohms * VSWR 1.3:1 - 1.9:1 (manufacturers data) * 2 x elements 6m * Turning radius 3.6m * Boom length 2m * Mast 40 - 50mm * Max wind speed 150km/h * Connector SO-239 * Weight 8.5kg (approx)
More info: http://www.antenna.it/index.htm

You can write your own review of the D2T Giovannini Electromeccanica HF-VHF Antenna.

IK2XYI Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2010 10:16 Send this review to a friend
great surprise!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
i dont know why my previous review was lost...
any way the antenna work well and the information that you can find on site of the factory are pretty real.
this antenna is very good compromise (better than a vertical) and if you consider the 11 bands... are not very expensive.

GW4PJQ Rating: 4/5 Feb 3, 2009 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Yes, I’m sure you all thought what I did – something along the lines of “160m – 2m, yeah pigs might fly”! However this has to be the most surprising antenna I have ever had.

First of all forget your prejudges and the 160m and 2m bands. Although to be fair it does perform as well as a halo on 2m, better if you can find a good lobe. On 160m however it is better than nothing, but that is about it.

Its best band is 12m but it performs every bit as good as a full size dipole down to 40m. But it was 80m that bowled me over the most, it is far quieter than a loaded dipole, but signal levels were extremely good.

My first contact was with DL8YS who gave me a true 5/8 using my Omni6+ barefoot. I returned 5/9 to him who was using a 500w linear. On my old loaded dipole; signal levels were remarkable similar! I worked down to N Africa with no difficulties at all on 80m. It was a similar story on 40m as well. Being “CW challenged” I gave 30m a miss, but once on 20m and above, you are in gain territory with very handy nulls off the side to get rid of annoying QRM.

The one I have is the military version and this is the one to go for, because all the wires are pre-cut and terminated with good quality terminals fastened to the ends of the steel wire elements.

It says in the handbook “use at least 60m of coax” well I didn’t! but I still had a good match on all bands except 160m where I experienced a low-side VSWR of 3.5 – 1.

Is it worth the money? Well perhaps not if you have room for “proper” antennas but if you haven’t it most certainly is. It also performed far better than a TGM 2 ele beam designed to be resonant on all bands from 20 – 6m, but the D2T will also work down to 80m where the TGM mini beam won’t at all.

So there we are a surprisingly good piece of kit and no one was more surprised than me! GIVE IT A GO!