Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1716 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1716
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $17
Description: 2m/440 Dual band HT antenna with BNC connector.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1716.

N1KOQ Rating: 2/5 Feb 4, 2006 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Inconsistent construction  Time owned: more than 12 months
This would be a 0 if the antennas didnt perform at least as well as stock ducks. They do perform OK. My issue is more of one with manufacturing consistency and durability other than "over the air" performance. Over the last 2 years, I have three times purchased this exact model antenna. Once from MFJ directly, once from AES about a year ago, and once last week, again from AES. What I recieved were 3 different antennas all carrying the same model number. The first, was 8" long, somewhat rigid for a "slim duck" (Slim duck being described as similar to what icom uses on its W-32A), and was tapered at the 1/2way point. A fall from the arm of my couch was enough to bend this antenna right at the top of the coil housing where straightening it put a crack in the plastic sheilding. I could never get it straight again and for $17, i wasnt going to bother sending it in and waiting a month for a replacement from the factory. (ordering from MFJ will get you a very long wait time to get your product).

The second I got was best of all (Im currently using it on my FT-470). It was perfectly straight, very flexible, no taper in the middle of it, well constructed and fits a variety of dual bands I have very well. I actually thought MFJ worked out the defects and finally got it right.

Well, apparently they thought they could improve on what I felt already a perfected product because the one I just got in this week was an absolute engineering nightmare. The taper and rigitity is back. However, Its not the same as the first model because it is much much slimmer. This leads to a big problem because the coil housing is exactly the same as the old models and the whip part of the duck rocks back and forth in the coil housing because they kept the original housing and there is quite a gap there between the coil housing and new "improved" slimmer whip. Id be apprehensive using it outdoors as Id worry about water getting in there. The bnc connector is also very very poor on the newest model. Its a horrible fit on my Icom t-7h and wiggles back and forth considerably. I only wish MFJ would be more consistent in the manufacturing of their goods. They do make some good products and the antennas I have work good performance wise, They are just very lacking in the construction and consistency department. At least in this instance.