Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-P7A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-P7A
Icom IC-P7A Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $296.00
Description: Icom IC-P7A VHF/UHF Dual Band FM Transceiver.
Ultra compact, lightweight body—47×81×28 mm*, 160g**
* 127/32×33/16×13/32 in, projections are not included.
** 5.6oz, including BP-243 and antenna
20 hours of operating time* or 15 hours of continuous TV/FM receive capability with slim Lithium-Ion battery pack
* Tx:Rx:Stand-by=5:5:90 with power save on
Wideband receiver (0.495—999.990MHz*) allows you to listen to FM, TV (audio) broadcasts and other service communications
* Receiver range differs depending on version
VHF/UHF dual bander with 1.5W/1.0W output power (One band at a time).
Minimum number of buttons for simple operation
CTCSS and DTCS tone for repeater access and quiet stand-by
1000 alphanumeric memory channels with flexible memory bank system
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/p7a/

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-P7A.

KA2AYR Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2012 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Depends on what you're looking for  Time owned: more than 12 months
First things first: DO NOT plug regular headphones into the radio! You will short something out inside and it will be beyond economical repair. Now that you know that, we can move past it. Frequency agile - definitely a 5. Concealability (sometimes I DON'T want people to know I play ham radio) - 5. Kid friendly (kids can be hams, and they do not like to carry bricks [HT1000]) - 5. Spouse friendly (spouses can be hams, and they also won't carry a brick radio) - 5. Computer programmability (I don't like menues and useless buttons I'll never learn how to work) - 5. Audio output - 3 (meh - DON'T plug in regular headphones!). Power output - 3 (meh - but still better than FRS and a choice of 2 meters or 440). So, size, versatility, and simplicity are the key benefits. Great for proximity use. They use camera MOLi batteries and a variety of chargers are available. No stupid buttons for stupid people like me. Frequencies and complex functions programmed by computer (I really like that). Not what you want for long distance. Not for very noisy environments. A little SWLing or broadcast reception is a plus. We have a few and think they're great; we use them a lot.

PE7UP Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2009 12:47 Send this review to a friend
low "TX" audio?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all,

I really like this nice little HT.
One thing I dislike is that I have to talk loud in the mic. with my lips touching the ic-e7 for making a "normal,decent" FM deviation.

probably I'm the only one with this issue, because I didn't find anything on this tx-audio subject on the whole internet.

For the rest it's a nice gadget to use.

N9ZND Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2009 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Better than VX-3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is going to be some of these radios that are coming up for sale cheap because they are discontinuing them. I have read some of the reviews stating poor audio and other problems. I have owned the VX2,VX3 and several different radios. The audio is a little low,but I dod not like to blare it anyways. All other features works great. Better recieve than the VX3, esp. anything away from the Ham bands. It has the best battery that I have ever incountered. It will last for 4-5 days and that is scanning a few hours every day. I thought something was wrong with the little thing because it just kept going.
I wish it had a Belt clip and a nice case. I fixed both of them problems. I cut out a cell phone clip out of a cell case and 2 sided taped it on the Back cover (good 3M tape). I bought a VX3 case and used it for this radio. The windows line up perfect. Now I have a great radio to carry with me that backs up my bigger and IC-91 when I do not want to carry something that big and bulky. For the price that they will be going for now do not pass them up. N9ZND

KD8BZY Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2008 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before buying I read the reviews here. I wanted a wide coverage HT somewhat so I would not have to carry a broadcast receiver on extended pack trips. I like listening to talk radio and some football games. My brand new Bride had just got her General Class and then bought a VX-170 for herself (fantastic radio). I bought this little IC-P7A off Ebay for $79 plus nominal shipping. It was used and auctioned without an antenna. I wondered about that and took another chance by ordering a new Diamond SRH320A antenna before the HT arrived. I have since used it to hit repeaters within 20 and 70 miles. I might be a little scratchy on receive at times but copied OK with its' 1.5 watts out. My XYL and I just completed a four day backpacking trip into the deep bear and turkey woods of West Virginia. On trips back to the car for extra provisions we never had difficulty in copy with one of us back at the camp and the other on the trail, and copy was good even to the car - approximately 2 miles distance and through heavy timber and mountain obstruction. For AM broadcast I had to rig a wire antenna but it worked great at our remote camp. I am very pleased and happy I bought this little IC-P7A rig. The XYL's VX-170 is superb and with higher power but without the wide receive coverage. The SRH320A antenna is long for packing and some planning needs to be done for transporting it properly. I really like my little IC-P7A and do recommend it. After market KLIC-5001 compatible batteries are available for very little money. I bought one for this radio on Ebay for $6.28 (including shipping) brand new and its' 2000mAH works great and is long lasting.

73 and best DX to all. KD8BZY

2E0JTP Rating: 3/5 Mar 29, 2008 05:44 Send this review to a friend
OK, but not great.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The IC-E7 (IC-P7A in US) is a great ultra compact radio but I returned it to the shop and swapped it for a Yaesu VX-3E (VX-3R in US).

The reason?

The IC-E7 has no ability to program DTMF strings into memory.

I think a radio with only 1.5W/1W output needs to be able to access repeaters (it can) and just as importantly, Echolink/Internet connected RF nodes.

Without the ability to send a pre-programmed DTMF string, the IC-E7 is only capable of accessing pre-established Internet links. You have no ability to call up specific nodes or send DTMF commands. This is a major failing in what is otherwise a remarkable radio.

Don't misunderstand me, I realise the IC-E7 isn't designed to have a full DTMF keypad, but the VX-3E
(which has nearly identical specifications) does have the ability to pre-program DTMF strings into memory for single button recall as you need them.
If you like to use your hand held for accessing local Echolink Nodes, the IC-E7 is no use.

I only owned the radio long enough to be surprised by the fact it has NO programmable DTMF memory options (less than a day) so my overall opinion of the radio is that it appears to be very well made and has a remarkable number of features (except pre-programmable DTMF strings, go figure...), the display is very large (which is nice) but it's very exposed and liable to get scratched in normal day to day use (not so nice). The drop in charger is a nice feature and the 1800mAh Li-Ion battery is great. The radio is, however, fatter because of the bigger battery.

If you don't need DTMF for Echolink or other Internet linking RF Nodes, then this is a great radio, if you do need them - Look elsewhere.

N9SJG Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2008 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Very good, but not great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Don't let the previous reviewer scare you, the P7A is a good radio. I've had other compact radios in the past and so far this one is the best. It beats the pants off the VX-3R in almost every category except receive audio. Like others have said before you just don't get the volume out of the speaker before it starts to distort as you might other radios. But I use mine when traveling from my hotel room and have absolutely no problems. Road noise bad in your car? You might want to look at something else.

Sensitivity on bands other than 2M and 440 seems to be very good. The broadcast band and WFM from 76 to 108 MHz actually work! 450 - 470 is very good. With an external antenna other than the supplied duck, shortwave is useful for listening to the more powerfull stations. The radio is easy to use - especially if you are familiar with other Icom radios and the build is rock solid. No creaky battery covers like the afore-mentioned Yaesu. Battery life with the 1800 maH supplied battery is outstanding!

If what you want is a solid radio to carry along and use in low ambient noise environments, the P7A is a good choice. BTW, you can go to Walmart and buy a Kodak KLIK-5000 battery for a Kidak digital camera for $19.97 and have a lower cost OEM battery than the Icom-branded battery and even the Kodak quick charger is more convenient to use than the wall wart and cradle from Icom.

NP3WH Rating: 2/5 Feb 13, 2008 19:30 Send this review to a friend
BAD FINAL !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a week of use the final went dead.I still think the VX2R is a better deal.

KX7ID Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2007 23:18 Send this review to a friend
A great little radio overall!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio because I needed a very small yet very capable dual-band radio and the P7A fits the bill!

Except for the antenna . . .

The stock antenna worked fine for me on UHF but unusable on VHF. Even nearby use to a repeater was poor unless I was outside in direct line of sight. I solved the problem by purchasing a Diamond SRH519 and now VHF and UHF work great!

Receive coverage is excellent and it hears my 927MHz repeater 30 miles away just fine.

The battery charger base and long battery life are great pluses. The somewhat distored audio when the volume is turned up all the way is an annoyance but usable, especially with earphones. ICOM should and could have done better.

But overall a great pocket size VHF/UHF radio!

KX7ID

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2007 10:40 Send this review to a friend
I dont leave home without it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the European E7 model recently and I really love this marvel. The reception is very good, even FM broadcast is crispy clear with the delivered "antenna". Sensitivity is excellent and it is very easy to use if you read the manual first. I really appreciate the supplied fast charger which loads the battery in 3 hours. The battery lasts very very long - thats a real plus! For the local repeaters I usually switch to low power which is just 100 mw and it is more than enough. Add a longer whip (about 30 cm) and even the stronger SW stations are received in a good quality. Thank you ICOM!

RICHARDTW Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2007 12:06 Send this review to a friend
p7a is better than vx-2r  Time owned: more than 12 months
It have been about one year long, since I have posted some of my reviews to p7a. now I think it maybe a good help to post a new view for icom p7a, and talk about yaesu vx-2r in the same time.
After more than one year using both of the two micro handy rigs. And also read many reviews in the internet, and also the magazines in english or in japenese, and even in chinese. More people still like vx-2r than p7a.
Especially in japan, the famous radiolife magarine concluded that the icom-p7 is not overcome the yaesu-vx-2 , even a bit.
But I think that is a lots of pity, for most people might miss the potential performance of p7 (p7a).
For me , using the mirco handy rig, means that I can take the rig to where ever I go. I can use the rig , at anytime, in anywhere, and without causing any big trouble , or to disturb any other people.
The micro rigs like p7a , vx-2r , if they can meet my requests above, they must need to use some small and short antenna . for my point of view, I think sma antenna no more then 35mm , and the diameter no more than 10mm.
If the two rigs equip this kind of antennas, then , only the p7a will do me good, because the vx-2r will be totally dead outside amateur band.

Unfortunately , ordinary people can not diy suitalbe micro sma antenna for themselves, and also the more thickness of p7a reduced the convenience of carrying.
I think that is a pity, for most amateur people, if they can settle the
slim-backcover slim battery, and the short sma antenna ,these two problems
,then they will find that p7a is definitely more suitable carrying-out
rig than vx-2r .
now when I was not in my home, I will always put p7a in my pocket. Believe
me, you will learn a lots of fun, when you equip yourself with p7a and some
suitable short sma antennas.
enjoy that, for those people really know what p7a is better than vx-2r .thanks for all.