Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Opek HVU-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Opek HVU-100
Opek HVU-100 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $153
Description: High Performance Multi-Band HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Antenna

* Assembled easily for various frequency combinations.
1) 6M / 2M / 440 6) 20M / 15M / 6M / 2M / 440
2) 10M / 6M / 2M / 440 7) 40M / 15M / 6M / 2M / 440
3) 40M / 6M / 2M / 440 8) 20M / 10M /6M /2M / 440
4) 20M / 6M / 2M / 440 9) 40M / 10M / 6M / 2M / 440
5) 40M / 20M / 6M / 2M / 440 10) 15M / 10M / 6M / 2M / 440
* Max. Power Handling: 200W (2M / 70cm SSB), 120W (6M & Higher)
* Low VSWR
* PL-259 Connection
More info: http://www.airlinktelecomcorp.com/Products_Antennas.html

You can write your own review of the Opek HVU-100.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2010 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile 5 bander!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Normally I don't give 5's ....but for "bang for the buck" how could you not!!!!!
**********************************************
Installed on back driver door of my F-250 Ford Crew Cab, about 1/5th down <15 & 20M on "stub">. Working Germany, Croatia,Norway, Spain, California, Alaska, etc with my FT-857D on 100 Watts......Soooo, it must work!!!!
***************************************
2/440 repeaters all do better than dual-band mag-mount I used before......
******************************************
Again for the money!!!!!! WOW
******************************************
Good heavy duty mount required, since it is rather tall & forget the 40M coil for mobile on my big truck, I'm not sure I'd clear underpasses....Hi-Hi........

WY3X Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2009 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice compact antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My wife says this is the "least weird" antenna I've ever put on my truck, so I guess it passes the looks test. I didn't get any instructions with mine, but then, I've been a ham since 1991 and it was very obvious what to do to tune it, no instructions necessary. Start by tuning the shortest whip first (highest band), and work your way down to the longest whip (lowest band), just like tuning a trap dipole. I was really pleased with the tuning- it has a nice and sharp low SWR point on 40M, not broad-banded. This indicates a high Q, desirable in a mobile antenna and shows that it's efficient and not as lossy as some mobile antennas. I've had mine for almost three years, and the only issue I've had is with the mount, which is not an Opek brand (K-400), working loose over the miles. I've tightened it up about a half-dozen times in three years, not all that bad considering. The low SWR point has been rock-solid the whole time I've had it. Now, if someone ever comes up with a complete cure for Toyota 4Runner hash/noise, I'll be in great shape! -KR4WM

KI4CRA Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2007 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Decent antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a decent antenna, picked mine up a few months ago at the Orlando Hamfest. Got it home, went to attach the antenna to my MFJ-336 tri mag mount, found NO directions?? Went back the next day(wasn't planning on going back)went to the booth where I originally bought the antenna. Told them I had no directions on how to tune the antenna. I was given a pamphlet that had a diagram of the antenna on the inside, some general information about the antenna and the company. Still NOTHING on how to tune the antenna?? Finally e mailed OPEK one morning, stated my problem, by 1pm. local time had the same pamphlet in PDF format, only this time where the diagram of the antenna was it actually showed what each little whip was for.

Once loaded with the PROPER information, I went out, installed the antenna on my Sport Trac, got the antenna tuned to a really decent SWR 1.3:1 on 40, (low end), 1.2:1 on 15 (around 21.300), and 1.6:1 on 6 meters,(FM portion). I have made a couple of contacts on 40 using my FT-817, but not actually having an HF rig in my Sport Trac (using an FT-8900 with the separation kit) I don't really get the use out of it that I should. It works very well, just wish that the company would do a better job with their directions on their packaging. Overall, its a decent antenna for what it was designed for.

Shop around tho, I only paid $87 for mine new in the package. I would also advise that if and when you purchase this product, the VEREY first thing you need to do is to open the package and MAKE sure it has the tuning instructions on it.

73 de Mark