Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Tokyo Hy-Power HC-100AT Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HC-100AT
Tokyo Hy-Power HC-100AT Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: QRP-100W HF/6m Auto Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.thp.co.jp/thp%20hp%20Eng/amateur_eng/others.htm#110f

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HC-100AT.

VK2DMH Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2008 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Reliable little tuner!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my HC-100AT a year ago at the Central Coast ARC Field Day at Wyong, north of Sydney. I bought it from Lee of Andrews Communications, Greystanes, at the same time I bought my little Yaesu FT-857D transceiver.

Lee recommended the tuner to me as an effective little auto tuner, and he was not wrong. It has performed flawlessly for me for close on 12 months already.

I have used the HC-100AT to work two different all-band Doublet antennas, fed with 300 Ohm ribbon cable. One was 44 foot and the other was 88 feet long. It has also handled half-wave dipoles, with and without a center 1:1 balun, and random wires. Now I just use it with my 5-band trap vertical.

Like all auto tuners, it does not like wire that is half a wavelength long, but on most occasions it has still managed to get a match on the second or third try.

There is only the one red button to push to operate this ATU; however a long push actually activates the tuning cycle, while a quick stab with the button takes the tuner out of circuit and connects the antenna directly to your transceiver.

The single LED glows green to show it has made a match and shows red when the VSWR is dangerously high. If it cannot make a match, the LED flashes red at you. Just wait until it stops flashing and try again... And if you still cannot get a match, just QSY up or down a bit on your dial and try again. More often or not it will get a match then.

There is a built in analog meter which can be toggle switched to show forward vs reflected power. It has a small push button for the backlight, and I just feel an on/off switch would have been better than a hold-down switch. Why? Because to tune up my rig I have to change to CW mode and drop a carrier, so that takes one hand. I then have to press the red button to tune. But I don't have a third hand to press the backlight.

A small detail, I know.

There is a socket on the ATU for some kind of remote control cable, but nothing in the instruction manual has said how to use it. I guess that using the ATU is so easy, they didn't think that the info was important. Never mind, it's a good ATU. Well worth owning one.

DL2AVC Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2006 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Very robust and outstanding quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Last month I have ordered one of this beautiful little Automatictuner from THP. Mr. Nobuki is a Gentleman. It is a pleasure doing business with him. Totaly cost for me 210,-$+ 25$ for shipping to germany. At first open the tuner and look inside, very robust parts in it and outstanding quality. Works very fine, tuning very fast in any wire length. If you want a high quality Autotuner buy this!!!!
"Itīs not a trick, itīs a "TOKYO HY POWER"

K2MMT Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2006 22:54 Send this review to a friend
HC-100AT is an amazing auto tuner!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the new Tokyo Hy Power HC-100AT Auto-tuner for a few months and it is amazing how good it is. It is the fastest tuning auto tuner I have seen and Iíve used many others before (various models made by LDG, SGC, Yaesu and others). The THP HC-100AT is far superior in many ways. It tunes lightening fast, and has amazing memories that will immediately jump to a previous frequency without a millisecondís delay. Another great feature is itís built in SWR meter. And tuning is so easyÖ. One button is all there is on the panel. Press it quickly and you are by-passing the tuner. Press it for a second or more and it immediately becomes a lightening fast tuner that I have found will load just about anything from a small whip to random wires of all sizes. I can tune with as little as 1 watt. Iíve been a ham for 52 years, and am very fickle when it comes to radio gear. So I have jumped from one to another. But I doubt I will ever need a different tuner than this one. My first THP tuner was about 20 years ago when I was running 1.5 KW at my home, I bought the Tokyo Hy-Power HC-2000 and it was a dream manual tuner. It was built like a military standard piece of gear and it used to tune my KW with ease. Now that I am restricted to low power and stealth antennas - the tiny automatic 100 at if more than sufficient. And I highly recommend it in addition to any of THP equipment. I also have the HB-50 HF amplifier that I can drive easily with my THP 817. It too is built extremely well and works like a dream.

So Ė to end this review I say go to THP and know you have the best there is.