Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Icom AH-703 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom AH-703
Icom AH-703 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $249
Description: The Icom AH-703 covers 7, 14, 21, 28 and 50 MHz with a 1/4 wave design. Power capacity is up to 20 watts. The bands are covered by changing the supplied coils. The AH-703 is 4.6 feet (1.4m) high and weighs only 12 ounces. This antenna requires a PO type base (the AH-703 terminates to a PL259). Base and coax are not supplied. 50 ohms nominal.
More info: http://ham.srsab.se/icom_ham/ah-703.htm

You can write your own review of the Icom AH-703.

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2014 06:14 Send this review to a friend
First Class.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the same antenna as the Diamond RHV5.I got hold of one at a special price from Waters and Stanton here in the UK.I mounted it on my car mount and connected it up to my FT817nd,using an LDG Z100 tuner I tuned it to a perfect swr on 20 meters in seconds.I was delighted to get a 59 report from a station in the Netherlands.Its an extremely well made piece of kit and so simple to get up and running.Truley a fantastic QRP antenna.

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2014 23:25 Send this review to a friend
Awesome little antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use he AH-703 with a Yaesu FT-817nd and its a great combo and works very well. I've tried many other types of portable antennas over the years but none of the small verticals have worked as well as this one nor have they been as easy to deploy. In contrast, the AH-703 is very well constructed, easy to deploy, quite rugged, and light weight. If you want a great antenna for pedestrian mobile, hiking, camping or your bugout bag then here it is.

NI0W Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2013 17:18 Send this review to a friend
AMAZING!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this for a special price from RandL Electronics. Hooked it up to a mag mount on a file cabinet, on the second floor of my house. Checked with my MFJ 269 analyzer, flat match on 2o meters. Started making contacts immediately with 5 watts from my Yaesu FT-817, 59 reports in the several state QSO parties I took part in. Phenominal for its size. Rated a 5 because it deserves it. I plan on making more counterpoises to resonate it on the other bands. Comes with the 2o meter counterpoise from the factory. I can hardly wait to get outside and use it on a tripod. WOW!

G7VZS Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2013 13:07 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this as a freeby with the icom 703 And thought it was just a peice of junk. But when I broke my arm and was unable to get in my attic shack. I worked all over europe using the icom 703 and 10 watts.Off a coffe table in my lounge. I still have it and use it to hilltop. Its the best small antenna I have ever had. But use a counterpoise wire. G7VZS

N2RRA Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2012 16:03 Send this review to a friend
ICOM AH-703...Amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I of course expect nothing less from ICOM!

This antenna is built to mil-spec so without having to say it I'm gonna anyway. The construction quality is top notch.

Performance is amazing and the SWR curves on it alone are impressive. You really don't need a tuner, but it would come in handy under certain situations.

A perfect match for the ICOM 703+ which would've liked to have before I made my YouTube video review on it showing performance. Damn postal service is really pissing me off.

I use it instead with my YEASU FT-817ND and it shows that a tuner is not need ,but wish the radio came with one.

Is it worth the money.... HELL YEAH!

73!

W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2012 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Simply a Dream...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't say enough about this antenna. Surprised it hasn't had a review since October 2006?? I've worked all over the US with this antenna and my ICOM IC-703+ with 5-10 watts. Its easy to setup and is ingeniously designed. I am always amazed how well this antenna works - SWR 1.1 with built in turner of the IC-703...actually quite good without it! This is a must for portable IC-703 operation!

W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2012 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Really Satisfied - A Pleasure to setup and use  Time owned: more than 12 months
After I got over the idea of paying $200 for this antenna, I have to say I couldn't be happier. I have used it about two years now and what a pleasure to use. I set my ICOM IC-703+ up with the LC-156 backpack and what a setup. Mounted the main part of the IC-703 upside down so the AH-703 mounts right on the radios SO-239 connector. Slick! I then use the separation cable to place the faceplate outside the backpack. This is the very best setup I've seen in my opinion. Love it!

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 01:19 Send this review to a friend
NIce design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received mine together with my IC-703 and the batterypack on a special offer. The antenna works fine and is very good designed. The only thing that bothers me is that it is to long for transport. It would have been better to have some more pieces of about 30 cm.

K7MXG Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2006 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I set the AH-703 up with the IC-703+ in the backpack configuration. Walked out on my porch wearing the backpack, literally tossed the counterpoise wires out on the ground, hit the tune button. 1:1 match. Heard a Georgia station calling CQ...figured what the heck, I'll try it. He gave me a 5-9 report and copy both ways was rock solid. Not bad from SE Wyoming on a 4 foot whip on 20m on a Saturday afternoon. Yes, it works!