Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | ETON E5 with SSB Help

Reviews Summary for ETON E5 with SSB
ETON E5 with SSB Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: The Etón E5 is the a world class portable radio covering AM, FM and shortwave. It features dual conversion AM/SW circuitry for exceptional sensitivity and image rejection. It offers S.S.B. - Single sideband reception. It has an amazing 700 channel memory capacity with memory scan and auto tuning storage. The 24 hour clock features alarm and sleep timer functions. Tuning is via auto-scan, manual scan, conventional tuning knob or direct keypad entry. FM stereo is supported to the mini earphone jack. The LCD display can be illuminated one of three ways. In Normal Mode pressing any button activates the display. While plugged into the AC outlet the Always-on mode illuminates the display whenever the radio is turned on. In Manual Mode the dial will light for 15 seconds when the light button is pressed. Other refinements include: Local/DX Switch, Wide-Narrow selectivity and external SW antenna jack.
The E5 operates from four AA cells (not supplied) or via the supplied AC wall adapter. The supplied AC adapter can also recharge NiMH AA cells (not supplied) while in the radio. (Do not attempt to recharge other types of AA cells). This radio also includes a multi-language Owner's Manual, wrist strap, protective case, wire antenna and ear buds. 6.675 x 4.125 x 1.125 inches 12.2 oz (168x105x29mm 346 g). One year limited warranty.

More info: http://www.etoncorp.com

You can write your own review of the ETON E5 with SSB.

N4CQR Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2008 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased one of these from Radio Shack about 8 months ago and have been completely satisfied with it's performance. AM reception especially.
It seems that later producation models (after mine anyway) includes the protection diodes. I added the diodes to mine (www.kiwa.com) which is a simple proceedure requiring about 5 minutes and a 10 to 15 watt soldering iron. If you purchase a G5/E5 take it apart and make sure the protection diodes are in place. There is a Yahoo group that can help you with this.

Bottom line: Wouild I buy another? Absolutely!

VE4AMN Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2008 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Good performer compared to Kaito 1103d  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a decent radio and much less frustrating than the Kaito 1103. Its strong points are senstivity, fidelity, a not bad selectivity switch, and ease of tuning SSB. The auto scan feature is not quite right, since on low sensiivity it can pass by a station and on high sensitivity it stops at every spurious signal.

I would prefer an alarm with a beep.

The Kaito is also sensitive, but I find the frequenncy management to be difficult to use. The alarm and memory functions are tricky and the volume control set-up just a little weird.

So while it is more expensive, the G5 represents better value IMHO.

G3WAW Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2008 09:05 Send this review to a friend
A very good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up My Little Eton E5 a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd share my view on this remarkable little unit.

The first evening I had this set I managed to hear a HAM operator in Cyprus on SSB using just the built in telescopic Antenna - the signal was good and strong and I also heard many of the stations calling into him also with usually superb clarity... Very impressive!

I have since put up a long-wire antenna in the garden and now the E5 REALLY shines (and it wasn't overloaded by nearby transmitters either) - I've managed to pick up a vast range of stations from just about all over the globe. The audio is crisp and the tone is very good considering the size of the unit.

I would have given this little guy a 5 score but for the following niggles:

No finger dimple on the tuning knob - not a biggie but not as comfortable when tuning a band,
No icon on the display for DX/LO and as the switch is on the side of the unit means it's not easy to see (yet there is one for the narrow/wide filter switch),
No marking on the fine-tune control for the 'centre' position - I've marked it myself now to make things easier

The good points:
Superb sensitivity,
Very little sign of overloading even when on a long wire,
Selectivity also seems to be pretty good allowing stations to be legible even during busy times,
No 'chuffing' when tuning the band using the rotary tuner,
very clear and crisp audio,
easy to read display that is well lit for night time use (although the buttons are not so well lit but they are usable),
170 memories

All in all, for the price, a superb little radio and highly recommended.

WB4NAF Rating: 2/5 Jan 24, 2008 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Three Bad Ones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried three of these radios (bought new at Radio Shack) and all were (or became) defective within just a few days.

The features, pros and cons, etc., have been well covered in other reviews so I won’t mention them here but will just say that I became fond of this little radio because of its ease of use, sensitivity, and stability for copying SSB and CW. It had a been a long time since I had tuned SSB via a BFO and it took a little getting used to, but it works really well on this radio and I was surprised at the quality of SSB reception that can be obtained. So I was very disappointed at the failure of all three radios that I tried.

• The first radio quit receiving above 3000 KHz, and once, the operating system froze up requiring me to remove and reinsert the batteries before it would reset.
• On the second radio the auto-scan was defective and the frequency readout was off by 1 to 2 KHz.
• The third radio quit receiving above 3000 KHz just as the first.

The first radio failed as I was adjusting the whip for reception while monitoring the 40 Mtr. band. Below 3000 KHz the G5 switches from the whip to the built-in ferrite antenna. The radio still received OK below 3000 KHz and on FM so my assumption was something went amuck in the front-end whip antenna tuning section for HF. So it was back to Radio Shack for an exchange.

The second radio was anxiously unpacked, batteries inserted, and switched on with fingers crossed only to discover that the auto-scan was defective. The slew buttons would initiate scanning but scanning would not stop on any stations. It was also noted that the frequency display was off by 1 to 2 KHz. So it was back to Radio Shack for another exchange.

The third unit worked fine for a couple of days and I thought I had gotten a good one, when it too failed, just as the first, as I was adjusting the whip while monitoring around 6000 KHz. And it too worked fine below 3000 KHz and on FM. So it was back to Radio Shack, this time for a return.

My assumption is that this radio must be unusually susceptive to damage from static discharge to the whip antenna. I have had many (and still have several) portable radios and this is the only one that has ever failed while adjusting the whip. My thinking is that there is either something wrong with the front-end design or there is an error in manufacture. Maybe I just happened to get a couple of bad ones from the same batch. I plan to try another but after a wait of some time. If it is a common problem surely Eton/Grundig will discover the cause and implement a fix.

If not for these problems I would give this radio a 4 rating. Not a 5 only because of some objectionable PLL birdies in the 160 Mtr band as well as a couple of strong birds from the BFO also in the 160 Mtr. band.

BLACKKNIGHT Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2008 00:45 Send this review to a friend
Best Multiband Radio I Have Ever Owned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Eton E5 receiver is by far the best portable multiband radio that I have ever bought. Earlier this week (Jan. 8th 2008), I went to a Circuit City near a friend's house and was intentionally getting the Eton E10. I did not see there, but I did see the E% and E100. Both receivers were on clearance (E100 for $83 and E5 for $86). I decided to buy the E5 over E100. When I brought it to my friend's house, I tuned to many FM and AM stations. The stations, even distant ones, come in loud and clear. Later, I tested the SW bands and was greatly impressed. I was able to receive my favorite SW stations much better without a lot of of fading, noise, and interference that I would have on my Radio Shack Travel Digital SW 20-125 (I bought this one earlier this year.) I was also able to receive SW stations that I couldn't get on my other radios. I was even able to receive a BBC transmission to West Africa during the afternoon. The digital input for frequencies is something I value most since I dealt with anaolg radio and hate how they drift off a station. The E5 also has a light feature that allows you to see the display. I really like the signal strength indicator on the display since it gives a better idea on how strong the signal really is. Overall, this is the best radio I ever had and most likely be the last SW receiver I will ever buy since I am quite satisfied with the Eton E5.

PHILNIC99 Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2008 02:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Read some of the reviews on ETON products and I must be one of the lucky few who have had several of these , but had little or no reason to gripe about quality-wise. I have an E1 also and love it to bits (Review elsewhere).
Anyhow the E5; hummed and haaed about getting one until an offer from Maplins came up for these @ £64 each. Arrived within 2 days, quality looks really good, solid and nice construct, but no external wire antenna supplied ; no matter as I had one from my previous (SONY ICF2001D)so dug that out in anticipation. Evening/morning reception was ok with whip, then tried connecting external wire via the jack - disappointing until I read somewhere that results were better connecting directly to the whip itself. Hey presto,what a difference; the SSB and the fine tune wheel were a lot of fun to use, was picking up aircraft on SSB over US side of the Atlantic along with New York, Santa Maria and Gander all coming in clearly and loud on 3, 5 and 6Mhz freqs. Plan to try the 8/13 Mhz freqs this afternoon but initial reception looks promising.
Controls are easy to use and the memory input is a doddle (after I got my head around it, dont do at the end of Xmas period when your brain has been sozzled!). Speaker for the price is good.
For the money, simple and easy to use and for my hobby (aeronautical HF), would recommend as a good entry model. Only complaint I have is the antenna socket which IMHO is a red herring.

KC3RT Rating: 1/5 Dec 26, 2007 15:54 Send this review to a friend
I got a bad one...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a 3-county search I was happy to find and purchase a G5. I based this receiver choice on these reviews and others.

Once powered on I immediately noticed a barrage of squeaks and squawks while tuning up and down the entire band. I also kept hearing the same local 50,000 watt AM and 43,000 watt FM broadcaster continuously as I tuned the bands. The imtermodulation distortion was so bad that it was difficult to easily tune in valid stations.

I compared these IMD results with my other receivers, Icom 756Pro3, Uniden CR-2021 and a cheapy Garmin Mini 300. To my surprise only the G5 was susceptible to the IMD interference. I guess I got a bad one so back it goes.

DAVIDVD59 Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2007 07:37 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a new ac adapter for the radio from radio shack, 300 ma and the radio works well on ac on this adapter ssb signals are not garbled like on the previous adapter so I am raising my rating.

G6LFT Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2007 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Great value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am sitting here at the laptop listening to CW on 80m on the Eton E5 using its internal whip! It is very rare that I am so pleased with a 'cheap' item. I bought the radio through a special offer from the RSGB for 60 UK pounds. For this money I expected an OK radio with a crude BFO. The radio has far exceeded my expectations. I like listening to cw when at work, or relaxing away from the main rigs and this radio is just perfect. It is small and feels very well built. With a ground connection (to the external antenna socket) it really comes alive. It is not a fully fledged comms receiver but it is as good (and probably better) than the RX sections of many of the QRP radios I have built/own. In fact, I will most likely try to use it as the RX with a simple TX on 40m or 30m. The wide/narrow filter works well and is more than adequate for general listening (but it is not a cw filter, most likely about 2kHz).

For the money, it is great. I wish radios like this had been around when I first got into radio in the late 70's.

A22EW Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2007 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up this receiver as I need a travelling radio instead of my Sony 7600GR. Picked it from RadioShack clearance.

Pleasantly surprised at its performance. My biggest plus that I have for the radio is its good sensitivity and selectivity. The tuning dial is just right. I find it more useful than the key for 5khz.

The whip antenna does not deliver much of a performance just like the sony. However putting it with a long wire outside, it does compare. Filtering has been well done.

Overall, very satisfied.

Downside, time setting is a bit of a issue. Since, I did not get a manual, downloading - there are 2 variation; one give more details in English only; use that one instead of the eton updated multilingual book.

Other question is - Power supply is noted for 8v while the receiver takes 6v. Is that to compensate for the fact that it serves two purposes i.e. to recharge and to run the radio. Manual or Eton's website did not elaborate.

If you are entering the field and need a good all rounded set, this is definitely it. I had bought a Kaito 1102; it left a lot to be desired.

TheSourceCC is clearing it for $69.99 in Canada.