Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Dentron Super Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Super Tuner
Dentron Super Tuner Reviews: 32 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$125-$175 used
Description: 160-10AT 1KW Tuner. Heavy duty tuner will couple a 160-10m transmitter to
almost any type of antenna system. Includes a highly efficient balun for
antennas feed with open wire line. Will work with coax as well as open feed line.
No SWR/PWR meter.

You can write your own review of the Dentron Super Tuner.

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2016 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Great basic tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is much nicer than most of the junk made today. It is rated at 1kW, but I do not know the minimum/maximum impedances it will match. Inside there are 2 hefty variable capacitors that I have never had arc, and a nice tapped inductor with a ceramic switch. There is also a large balun for balanced line or a wire. The SO-239 connectors are also good quality that have the serrations the entire circumference unlike Palstar tuners that use the cheap Chinese ones with only 4 serrations that do not make as good of a mating contact with a PL-259. I've used this tuner on random wire, NVIS, dipole, and G5RV antennas. Things I do not like about the tuner is there is no SWR bridge or meter, the cheap nylon shafts that are press fit to the capacitor shafts dry, crack, and loosen and the design of the shaft requires machining a custom coupling. Also the plastic insulator that Dentron used to mount the capacitors fails over time and cracks and breaks requiring making new ones out of G10 which Dentron was too cheap to use in the first place. As far as rated for 1kW and being able to handle it? I run 500w CW on it and I'm surprised being this small it handles it. PEP it may do 1kW, but I'll stay with my larger tuners when I run that much power.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Best ever.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used a Dentron Super Tuner as a Novice in 1988. Without getting into all sorts of technical stuff about impedance matching, etc, I'll just say I am very pleased with the unit. One of the best things about it is the fact you can run balanced line into it.

KB9EZL Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2015 02:39 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found this tuner on Ebay and it has some age on it but works great! I went ahead and removed the case
to be sure things were right in it and to check the large variable capacitors out. The insides looked
like it was brandnew! This tuner is well built and heavy duty. Years ago I had a Murch 2000 and it had a
roller inductor that kept getting intermittent. When it was working I checked it seemed to give me a
loss in receiver reception. I went ahead and cleaned the roller inductor up and sent it down the road.
The roller inductor tuners do not impress me and since then have shied away from them and will stay with
a switched inductor construction. The Dentron is well built and heavy so that tells you that it has some
quality in it. I got mine for $85.00 and after researching it didn't blink about the putting a bid on it
lower than the asking price. The fella replied immediately on my price instead of his asking price of
$100.00. I considered it a real good buy. Just one of the large variable capacitors is almost worth the
entire price of the tuner!

N0TQQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2014 07:47 Send this review to a friend
High Grade Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
These tuners have the tapped inductor, which I prefer over the roller inductor. Very well built, 1000 watt output, without all the bells and whistles. I set a meter on top and away I go! I also own the Super Super tuner, which is 1500 watt output.
The tuning capacitors have fiberglass shafts and are easily broken in shipping, but can be easily repaired.

W1PDG Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2014 13:36 Send this review to a friend
A++ tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
They don't make them like this anymore. Matched up with my Array Solutions power master II power/ swr meter you could not ask for a better tuning combo for anything under 1000 watts. 1:1 match on 80 -10 into a 80 windom. Can match 160 with but will wait until I have an antenna capable of handling 160 before I use it for that. If you can find one of these in good condition $150 is a steal compared to the manual tuners sold today.

WB5TKA Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Finally Really Putting it to Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new back in the late 70's. I kept it in line with various antennas but mostly to help insure a low SWR for the transmitter. With moving to a modern solid state rig with no-tune transmitter, I did not use it much.

Recently I have put it back into service to allow matching to my Butternut HF9V which is tuned to about 3,800 to tune down to the CW and digital portions of the band. It presents a 1:1 SWR to the transmitter.

I discovered a looseness in the transmitter loading control and when I took it apart I discovered that the clear plastic standoff on which the capacitors are mounted has cracked. A little JB Weld to reattach the pieces fixed that problem.

With the reviews I've been reading on the tuner and the fact that it seems harder to come by now, I wish I had bought several of them when I bought mine. :-)

Dan, WB5TKA.

VE1FG Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2012 06:40 Send this review to a friend
great tunner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got this one second hand from another ham use it with a sb-200 on a cw-80 windom ant cant say enough about it it loads perfect and tunes great on all bands from 1.8 -30 mhz great find if you see one dont pass it by if it works like mine u wont be dissipointed 73 mike in canada ve1-fg. ps i rate it at a 5 out of 5.

KI4LUY Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 15:47 Send this review to a friend
nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought my tuner at the "HAMFEST In The WOODS" In florida, The person said It was His Dad"s and work's perfect;He wanted 80 and could not go any lower, so I walked ;he then said 70$ and I turned around and took another look; It had a tape mark on the face so I passed on the deal[ I told my good friend that had just purchased a heathkit 201 from Him said " give me 60 dollars" and went and got It for me for the 60 bucks! wow that thing weigh's around 15 lbs. I get It Home and plug It up to my IC.7000 and nothing the recive went dead! so I spin the Inductor Knob still nothing,At that point I open the tuner up Half expecting to find a large brick,because It was so Heavy and both air cap's showed a short,I called My friend Bob AF4JS and he walked me thru the repair! It Turned Out Some Yahoo replaced the screws that hold down the cap's with longer screws so they were touching the bottom of the top xcrews causeng a direct short! So With the help of AF4JS,It is now tuneing my 75 meter dipole behind my drake l4b any were I go. what a tuner, Iv'e Had the heath 2040 and Yes the gears do slip, And my mfj989c caught fire ! who sells tuners rated at Input power? then again It was a Henry 2kd with 1300 R.M.S to be fair,I like this tuner much more then my palstar 2 k,I dont like roller Inductor tuners the coil Inductor is much nicer to me. anyway If you see a guy with a beer gut a red ford with sunglasses and a rented young boy, dont trust the s.o.b. He Is a crook, but I got a deal with a easy fix thanks to mark w4jly and bob af4js! the tune Is built like a 1969 caddy hardtop great deal great tuner and great friends, Man I Love this hobby, 73 de KI4LUY

W1ASY Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2011 16:50 Send this review to a friend
GREAT TUNER !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought the Super Tuner at a ham flea market about a year ago.. Payed 60 bucks for it.. When I took it apart I found that the the insulator under the antenna matching tuning capacitor was shattered and the shaft coupling for both capacitor was slipping..Went into the junk box found parts and fix the problems..Very easy to work on and very rugged...Using it for my 160 meter closed loop with great success...If I run across another Super Tuner at a flea market I will but it..All I can say is is a GREAT TUNER !!!

KJ7YY Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2011 17:58 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine since the late 70's? Can't be sure because it has been around forever. Still works good as new. Now being used to tune my 160 meter dipole for 80, 40, and 15 meters. I have a log of settings for best swr and they never change, dial and go.