Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Dentron Super Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Super Tuner
Dentron Super Tuner Reviews: 29 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$125-$175 used
Description: 160-10AT 1KW Tuner. Heavy duty tuner will couple a 160-10m transmitter to
almost any type of antenna system. Includes a highly efficient balun for
antennas feed with open wire line. Will work with coax as well as open feed line.
No SWR/PWR meter.

You can write your own review of the Dentron Super Tuner.

ZL4VT Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2011 13:38 Send this review to a friend
as you see  Time owned: months
there is not much to add,
i got my one 2 weeks ago and it is great, tunes everything and i like the solid outfit.

KE7OPK Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2011 12:09 Send this review to a friend
EASY TO USE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
BUILT LIKE A TANK! Bought one on ebay in excellent condition for about $100 after reading the reviews. Much easier to use than the MFJ 962D, which it replaced. Too bad they don't make these anymore. Buy one of you can find one, it will definitely do the job for you. Since I use the SWR meter on my SB-200, and a like-new Heath RF power meter was only $35, I have no complaint that there are no meter movements. You could do tuning "by ear" using background noise level as a reference. I will be keeping this until I am SK!

WA3YUR Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2010 09:18 Send this review to a friend
A TANK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Picked my unit up about a year ago, and I can tell you it's a brickhouse in terms of construction, and operates like a champ!

Got an MFJ as my first tuner after 33 years off the air. It worked well enough for the first couple weeks, until I started firing it up on 80 and 160. After the appearance of some smoke and arcing while tuning up on those bands, I decided it was time for a new tuner!

Back in the day I used both Johnson Viking and Drake MN-2000 tuners, and wanted something with similar BEEFY characteristics; well made, and could tune up a wet noodle.

After reading the reviews here, I decided on the Dentron Super Tuner; As I have owned some of their gear previously no problem with the Dentron nameplate.
I looked around for awhile and scored a used one for around $100.

I opened it up and was totally satisfied with its high quality build and bulletproof construction. Insofar as operation, it's a no frills all business piece of gear. It tunes up all kinds of antennas successfully and lives up to its' name 24/7.

WZ7E Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2010 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Top shelf !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best designed and built pieces of ham gear available. Combines professional design and construction with a common sense home brew style. Uses quality parts throughout. Compact size, conservatively rated and will last a lifetime if given reasonable care. Often sold for under $100. It didn't rate all those 5/5 scores for no reason.

KC9CDT Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2009 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Great, I hope  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a Dentron Super Super tuner (This is not a typo) 3K watts capability!

So, Does anyone else have one? What should I expect from it?
Thanks,
Lee

KO0T Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2009 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Simply a great small tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked this up on Ebay a few years ago. Typical of all of the Dentron tuners, it is a very robust tuner and is quite small for it's capabilities. It is rated for 1200 watts (based on the old input power to the amplifier), so this translates to 700-800 watts to the tuner. I have pushed it to 1500 watts and it always worked, but the inductor gets quite warm at the lower frequencies with this much power. If you want a tuner for 800 watts or less, this unit will probably tune anything and last forever. If you're patient, you can find them for $30-$50. If you're in a hurry, you can almost always find one for around $100.

KB9MVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2009 00:45 Send this review to a friend
battleship  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok do you need a tuner for 1000 watts or less thats cheap and will tune about anything it touches..ohh I forgot also are you looking for a tuner that will make it threw most major wars and natural disasters. You can find this tuner on the market for a good price under 100, i think there is none better.

KC2OYZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2008 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Industrial strength build quality.

Precise and repeatable settings.

Broad Range - I tune to the middle of a band, can work the whole band with little or no change.

If you find one, grab it - you won't be sorry.

VE3XQQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2008 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner has been in use non stop since April of 1980 and I am the third owner of this ‘beast of a tuner’.

You can load up a wet noodle with this puppy and it has served me well on all HF bands with my full wave 80m loop and AL-80A. Just one point to note; one can get a low SWR on more than on inductor setting, you should have a power meter on the output so you can see the actual power going to the antenna. This means you need to fiddle about at first as I did for the WARC bands and take good notes.

If you can find one... snag it right away!!

W4INF Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2008 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had for a little while, but I can tell you this... It is one GREAT tuner! Built like a tank, tunes easy and with a wide range. Handles up to 1kw the same as 100w... Big varicaps, big coil with taps.

Some bands, I only need to go to my preset with mostly no fine tuning, and I can work the entire band, from bottom to the top without having to retune!

Right now I am working a 70 foot longwire, grounded and fed at the bottom and a Balun Designes (Bob) 3kw 4:1 BALUN, first 40 ft is 45 deg angle up, the last 30 feet is horizontal from one tree to the next 35 ft AG. I get mostly 1.1-1.2:1 SWR, seldom ever do I even get 1.5:1 SWR. With this setup, I am getting excellent signal reports so efficiency appears to be there!

This is a simple, but great tuner! If you can get your hands on one, do it! Beats every MFJ tuner Ive ever owned, hands down!

Andrew de W4INF