Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter Help

Reviews Summary for Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter
Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$149.00
Description: 1.8 through 200Mhz peak reading cross needle watt/swr meter. Illuminated meter. 20-200-2000W ranges. Read SWR and power out simultaneously w/o swr calibration.
More info: http://www.daiwa-industry.co.jp/radio/ham_e/cn801ehp.htm

You can write your own review of the Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter.

AA4EZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2016 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter for Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think it is dumb for radio amateurs to rate a product by comparing it to a similar product that costs several times as much. I have had two of these meters for several years with NO problems and great results. If you hook up your meters properly and put ferrite beads on their leads, you get good results. You should use ferrite beads on your leads to all your gear. I find 5% error is no problem for amateur equipment. Are you really that exact with everything? My Lexus was not as good as my VW Beetle, but both got me there. A great meter, large dial, good lighting, great frequency coverage, PEP/Average switch and power switches. Get real when you evaluate and compare apples to apples not gold to lead.

KG4BFR Rating: 1/5 Apr 5, 2016 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Trash  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Total Trash....save your $ for another meter.I give it a #1 because she is pretty to look at but thats about it..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VK4WTN Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2015 14:22 Send this review to a friend
needed calibration  Time owned: more than 12 months
overall a nice meter to use.I did find that the meter read about 20 percent higher so I did a calibration against a known good meter.Power readings are a bit non linear but not a problem.SSB peak reading is great and holds well.
Such a shame that the factory gets the original calibration so wrong, must employ kids to do the job.Recalibration only took a few mins but should come better from the factory.

W7RT Rating: 2/5 Aug 24, 2015 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Product has problem - Needs Redesign  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I also noticed a huge discrepancy between the Peak and Avg power readings; the Avg being much higher. After several tests, I discovered that the meter picks up RF on the 12 VDC input cord, detects it, and adds it to the power reading on Avg mode. Just pull the power plug out, and the Avg reading will be correct. The solution is to put .047 uf caps internally across the 12VDC line, and from each side of the line to ground. Seems to make the readings nearly identical. Bad design on Daiwa's part. I'm not impressed.

KD5SKV Rating: 0/5 Dec 29, 2014 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Very Poor Quality Control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK so I know it is far too easy to give a bad rating of a product with one bad experience. Mine is not that so please read if you are considering this meter. I bought one about a month ago and it worked within 10% on PEP and the hold feature worked well. However, on Average it read 90+% too hot. That is to say at 100 watts out (I run a barefoot FT950 so 100 watts is as high as it will go) on the 200 watt range setting on the Diawa 801-HP it pegs the meter at a 200+ Average watt reading.

It did this on all bands so I called up the supplier and returned it for a swap. The second one was exactly the same in that PEP worked great but Average read even higher than the first. To the tune of 250% hot. I could not even push the xcvr past 40 watts out or it would peg out in Average watts in the 200 watt range setting on the meter. Something seriously wrong here. Even a dead key was over twice the power out setting of the radio.

As a final check I called the seller and went through a test over the phone with them. I set the xcvr to 50 watts and PEP worked great at a 45-50 watt reading. Then I moved it to the 2000 watt setting, set it to Average, and did the same test at 50 watts out....drumroll...250+ watts on the scale. Moving back to PEP on 2000 watts setting showed a minor budge of the needle on the same output wattage.

Two in a row from different warehouses of the same seller. These meters have quality issues. Took me a return shipment cost and 6 weeks to confirm this for myself without any doubt. I know there will be thoughts of Average/PEP and that they are not the same...I understand the concepts both and there is no explanation for a 100 Watt max xcvr pegging out a 200 watt scale on a 200 watt setting and to push it to 300 watts on a 2000 watt setting.

This one is going back and I will not be getting another.

ZL2KE Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2014 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !  Time owned: more than 12 months
After spending a considerable amount of time comparing all other SWR-PWR meters available, and thinking about several of the negative comments here, I ordered this meter from Sydney over a year ago.

I have NO complaints!

The large meter is great and well worth the little bit extra compared to the small meter Daiwa. The accuracy (watts out) is exactly the same as the meter on my Elecraft K3. Running QRO with my linear amp I have no way to judge the accuracy and actually I could care less if it is in fact 10% off. I know it is reasonably accurate according to what my amp should deliver @ current and voltage readings. SWR readings are equal to that given by a MFJ-259 Analyzer.

Using the PEP setting for SSB output, there are no problems as stated by some of the reviews below; perhaps Daiwa has improved the circuit. The meter needle during SSB slowly rises and remains at peak (as it should do) and does not go up and down quickly.

The LED meter lighting certainly does not "blind" me, as another review stated.
The only problem I can think of is that I wish I would have had this meter many years ago!

WD9N Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2013 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice meter for a good price.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like the bright LED lighting and large meter face. Nice overall housing and good layout for controls. The power switch could have been on the front, but I power the meter from the accessory port on the rig so it is switched on and off with the rig. I sometimes find myself wishing the peak hold switch was on the front, but don't use it often enough to worry about it.

The AVG and PEP readings do not agree on a carrier. With a CW carrier I show 90w AVG and 115w PEP. I also notice a bit of discrepancy between the 200w and 2KW range.

It may not be a laboratory quality meter, but it does a fine job for the HAM shack.

NR7N Rating: 2/5 Mar 29, 2013 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Looks pretty but beware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looks great but beware of the following:

1) average readings read 15% low
2) peak readings are 20-30% high
3) not too flat with frequency
4) LED internal lamp will blind you
5) AC adapter cord too short

I can't believe that this thing was calibrated at the factory.

WH7DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the CN-801 HP for a little over a year and I don't know what I'd do without it... awesome for checking my amp output levels.

Big screen, not too expensive. Nice.

WH7DX

N4DXX Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2013 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Great after simple Mod  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This meter was given to me and after reading the post about the peak hold mod i thought i would give it a shot because the meter action was way to fast in the pep range,Well after some investigation of my own i found that the only problem was R13 was way too low in value..To fix this meter without having to re calibrate anything all you need to do is pull up one leg of R-13 and in the empty hole just insert a 10-15K ohm resistor and then tie the loose ends together the meter action is way smoother and will give you time to actually read the peak before it starts dropping..And the best thing is there is no need to re-calibrate your meter..The only fault was the original 2K resistor was bleeding off the 220uf capacitor way too fast and has nothing to do with the ability of the OP-amp to charge the capacitor..Try it you will agree that it works much better..N4DXX