Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter Help

Reviews Summary for Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter
Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $$149.00
Description: 1.8 through 200Mhz peak reading cross needle watt/swr meter. Illuminated meter. 20-200-2000W ranges. Read SWR and power out simultaneously w/o swr calibration.
More info: http://www.daiwa-industry.co.jp/radio/ham_e/cn801ehp.htm

You can write your own review of the Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter.

KD0NJP Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2011 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Additon to ANY Shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a wonderful meter. Bright, easy to read with outstanding fit and finish!

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2011 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Meter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted a meter with a large display that was accurate and easy to read. I previously had a Palstar PM2000A, an excellent meter but the display was a little small. The Daiwa is well built with a large cross needle display in a attractive cabinet. The quality and finish are top notch. The meter is easy to read and is reasonably accurate from low to high power. The meter looks great on the desk. The meter performs nicely and I'm very happy with my purchase. I can recommend the CN-801HP as a quality instrument.

AC8DE Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2011 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Meter, with Some Limitations That Can be Overcome  Time owned: more than 12 months
This meter is marketed through NCG in the USA.

Overall, I like this product and can give it a 4. Only the lack of peak hold and reflected in PEP hold it back from a 5. I have owned this product for over a year now. Here are my observations.

Positives
• Beautiful bright white non-yellow display. Looks to have approx. 4500K LED’s in it.
• Large needles easily seen out of the corner of your eye.
• Accurate (after calibration)
• Mirror strip under the forward power needle.
• Easy to calibrate. Found I could calibrate it to within about +/- 5% across the bands, which is better than the claimed specifications.
• 3 power range settings; 20, 200 and 200 watts. Nice to have the 20 watt setting for tuning and QRP. Too many high power meters omit this low power setting.
• Accurate to well within claimed specifications across all bands. (once calibrated)
• Metal case with nice looking plastic bezel, giving it a good finish. Doesn’t look cheap.
• Once calibrated, measures more accurate and linear than a Bird model 43 and costs 1/6th of what a Bird does, when you consider you have to buy at least 6 slugs to cover the ranges and frequencies of this meter.
• The removable rubber bumpers area nice touch if you want to take the meter out for field day, as it offers this relatively large meter reasonable shock protection.

Negatives
• Out of the box, it was not accurate in PEP mode. Not even remotely close. Whlie the average mode was within 10%, the PEP mode was WAY out reading approximately 40% too high. Mine has a low serial number of 0812. This is lower than the serial number of the unit reviewed by QST. Perhaps the bugs were being worked out of training the people who were calibrating these meters and PEP was just missed in mine. Others here have commented that PEP is dead accurate right out of the box.
• No peak hold. I noted ZL3AG posted a modification here in the reviews to give it a proper peak hold. I may have to do this modification.
• As mentioned by many; no reflected readings in PEP mode. Bummer. This can probably be modified, but I have not dug into this either. I would settle for average reflected in PEP mode, which would be better than nothing.
• The needles are a bit slower than I would like and with absence of a peak hold, this adds insult to injury. Obviously, this is due to the lower power of the op amp, dampening and the larger mass of the long needle. It was to be expected I suppose for a big needle with a physically small movement. In order to go faster, it would take a bigger op amp and perhaps a different movement, thereby driving the meter’s cost up. And if they did go faster, you might bend them if you forget to change ranges when you go to high power, which we all do from time to time. Probably a reasonable trade off.
• No proper calibration instructions available from Diawa. NGC will send you the calibration instructions with the warning that it is a poor English translation, and that is the truth. Further, these instructions are just inaccurate and incomplete. The sketch of the board is for the wrong meter! I believe it is for the older version without PEP. It is not hard to figure out the board, but requires removal of the board from the meter or a mirror to look at the front of the board to figure out which potentiometer goes to which readings. I had to write my own calibration instructions for future reference and sharing.

Is accurate to within specification on a two-tone test and many digital modes as well. But do note it must be in PEP mode for of these modes to read accurately. And of course, you lose the reflected reading when you do so.

Conclusion
This is a good meter at a reasonable cost and can be calibrated very accurately if you have the right equipment. It is the linearity, ability to be calibrated to within 5% and the nice large display that pushed it to a 4. I cannot honestly say if my PEP inaccuracy out of the box was a fluke or not, but it can be easily adjusted nonetheless. I can wholeheartedly recommend it, even with its limitations. Once I mod the peak hold, I will be 90% satisfied with it. If I can develop a mod for it for the reflected in PEP mode and I can say I am 100% satisfied with it. Short of buying a Telepost LP-100A calibrated to a traceable NIST standard or the like which costs A LOT more (but does a lot more), it isn’t going to get much more accurate in an analog meter, once it is confirmed to be calibrated. Plus it looks nice on the shelf and a nice addition to any shack.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2010 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice Meter--highly Recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love the meter...the only improvement I'd want is the ability to see peak power while seeing SWR. This only provides SWR cross meter on average power. Either way its a nice meter, I have no regrets about buying it from R&L Electronics in Hamilton, OH.

W4NFR Rating: 3/5 Oct 13, 2010 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Needs Peak Hold Feature  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No peak hold or reflected power in PEP mode. Time owned: One Day
The first thing I did was recalibrate it to match my peak reading Bird 43 peak meter. The power levels match up now, but needs a peak hold.
The meter works as advertised and looks nice, but I found two operating conditions that annoy me. 1) No peak hold on PEP mode, have to be quick to read the scale. 2) Reflected power does not read in PEP mode, AVG only - why not Daiwa?. I have been using the Daiwa NS-660PA for years now and I guess that I am just spoiled the way the peak hold works. The meter is a 5 on its own, but with the two short comings I'll give it a 3. Also, Daiwa does not provide a schematic with the operating sheet included. Wish somebody could provide me with or tell me where I could get a schematic?

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used one for several years. I did recalibrate it using the Bird 43P. After that it worked very well. I broke mine by accident and replaced it with a Swan WM-3000. The Diawa has a nice large meter and is well lit, perfect for bad eyesight. I decided not to buy another as other, older, excellent meters are available cheaper. If this meter was all I had, I wouldn't complain.

G4DYO Rating: 3/5 Nov 4, 2009 11:01 Send this review to a friend
PEP reading fault  Time owned: more than 12 months
The meter has worked well since I purchased it about 15 months ago.
Unfortunately today it developed a fault so that the PEP meter constantly reads 1200 watts, even without a transmitter plugged in! When switched off the meter returns to zero; when switched on it jumps to 1200 watts.
If anyone has any idea what may be the cause I would be very pleased to hear at g4dyo@aol.com

KK2DOG Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2009 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Meter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Daiwa CN-801HP to use primaily on 6-meters with my converted Heathkit SB-200 amplifier and I am quite satisfied with its performance. I also own a Daiwa CN-801V for VHF/UHF work, and a Palstar PM2000A for HF as well. The CN-801HP gives me a true PEP reading, and pretty-much runs neck-n-neck with the Palstar. Great meter, and MUCH better than the old Daiwa CN-801 series. Get one.

Mike KK2DOG
www.hamwave.com

ZL3AG Rating: 2/5 Feb 26, 2008 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Needs Modifications  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had one of these for 9 months and I was always disappointed with the lack of peak-hold action. In fact the PEP reading seemed lazy and I was starting to doubt the health of the tubes in my Linear (FL2500).

When I investigated the circuit, found that the peak hold timing was acheived with a 220uF electrolytic with 2k ohms accross it. Considering the limited current delivery of a 358 op-amp, the 220uF was NEVER going to charge successfully with syllabic-rate DC drive. I replaced the 220uF with a low leakage 0.47uF capacitor and the 2k with 3MegOhm. Recalibrated and now marvellous. Nothing wrong with my Linear.

Also while apart, placed a switch in the lamp circuit as the constant glow can be annoying.

Diawa needs a lesson in Op-Amp theory! Now a "5" and the peak-hold is great.

WA6QGH Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2007 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Wattmeter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the unit back in June 2007. I purchased the unit for use on 6 meters and with large scale it is very easy to read. I compared the unit to my Bird 43 on 6 meters and found difference was more than 5%. I removed the cover and noticed there were 6 trimmer pots. I found that 3 of the trimmer pots were for forward watts at three different power level settings. The other 3 trimmer pots were for reverse watts at the three different power levels. I adjusted the low power trimmer pot at 10 watts and medium power at 90 watts compared to my Bird 43 into a dummy load. I like PEP feature of the wattmeter but it is not as good as peak hold function on my Palstar tuner.I am very satisfied with its performance.