Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter Help

Reviews Summary for Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter
Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$149.00
Description: 1.8 through 200Mhz peak reading cross needle watt/swr meter. Illuminated meter. 20-200-2000W ranges. Read SWR and power out simultaneously w/o swr calibration.
More info: http://www.daiwa-industry.co.jp/radio/ham_e/cn801ehp.htm

You can write your own review of the Daiwa CN-801HP true PEP reading meter.

KK2DOG Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2009 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Good Meter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Daiwa CN-801HP to use primaily on 6-meters with my converted Heathkit SB-200 amplifier and I am quite satisfied with its performance. I also own a Daiwa CN-801V for VHF/UHF work, and a Palstar PM2000A for HF as well. The CN-801HP gives me a true PEP reading, and pretty-much runs neck-n-neck with the Palstar. Great meter, and MUCH better than the old Daiwa CN-801 series. Get one.

Mike KK2DOG
www.hamwave.com

ZL3AG Rating: 2/5 Feb 26, 2008 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Needs Modifications  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had one of these for 9 months and I was always disappointed with the lack of peak-hold action. In fact the PEP reading seemed lazy and I was starting to doubt the health of the tubes in my Linear (FL2500).

When I investigated the circuit, found that the peak hold timing was acheived with a 220uF electrolytic with 2k ohms accross it. Considering the limited current delivery of a 358 op-amp, the 220uF was NEVER going to charge successfully with syllabic-rate DC drive. I replaced the 220uF with a low leakage 0.47uF capacitor and the 2k with 3MegOhm. Recalibrated and now marvellous. Nothing wrong with my Linear.

Also while apart, placed a switch in the lamp circuit as the constant glow can be annoying.

Diawa needs a lesson in Op-Amp theory! Now a "5" and the peak-hold is great.

WA6QGH Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2007 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Wattmeter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the unit back in June 2007. I purchased the unit for use on 6 meters and with large scale it is very easy to read. I compared the unit to my Bird 43 on 6 meters and found difference was more than 5%. I removed the cover and noticed there were 6 trimmer pots. I found that 3 of the trimmer pots were for forward watts at three different power level settings. The other 3 trimmer pots were for reverse watts at the three different power levels. I adjusted the low power trimmer pot at 10 watts and medium power at 90 watts compared to my Bird 43 into a dummy load. I like PEP feature of the wattmeter but it is not as good as peak hold function on my Palstar tuner.I am very satisfied with its performance.

TF3JB Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2007 06:04 Send this review to a friend
An excellent SWR/POWER meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having recently become QRV again I was in the market for a swr/power meter. Looking around, I found that there is a good supply of various kinds of such devices on the market. However, having had a good experience with Daiwa cross needle swr/watt meters when they first came on the market about 30 years ago, I decided to get the CN-801HP model, which comes with a peak-reading function. The cost (with import duties) to this country was about USD 170.

My first impression, opening the box, was “wow” this is a large meter. Especially with reference to other equipment in the shack that nowadays have become more compact than ever. The rather large size has, however, become an asset when operating since I place the unit to the side of my operating position, which would not be possible with a smaller unit for monitoring purposes.

The meter has proved to be excellent. I mostly use the 0-20 and 0-200 Watt scales, but it has the possibility to measure up to 2000 Watts of RF (from 1.8 through 200 MHz). To be able to have a read-out of SWR and power simultaneously (without recalibration) is just great. I also like the PEP function. Although reflected power does not read in the PEP-mode as one reviewer has pointed out; this has not bothered me. When transmitting, this is the metering I monitor the most, along with the frequency readout and the S-meter on the FT-840 transceiver.

I have not used it much on VHF; just briefly tested it and it seems to work fine. I did test the accuracy on HF with regard to power output against a Bird 43 and it was within 1 Watt (measuring up to 100 watts of tx output). If there is anything I might complain about it would be the brightness of the green/blue backlight. I do like that it is there, but I would recommend Daiwa to provide an on/off switch for it. On my unit the backlight shines very bright and that gives me the uncomfortable feeling that the blub might not last for long. I might though remedy this myself in the near future.

Overall, a very nice meter. I like the attention Daiwa has given to detail in their design of the unit. It is practical and has a feeling of quality. I can recommend the CN-801HP to all hams.

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2007 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Great For My 'Ol Eyes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a meter with a large display , and this one fits the bill. I like the cross needle on average power, and the PEP only feature. Accuracy is fine for my purpose. When I get my amp I'll be ready to go to 1500 watts or 15 watts on the same meter. Lighting is fine, and the meter looks great
on the desk.

I would buy another.

K2QE Rating: 3/5 Mar 22, 2007 21:50 Send this review to a friend
good looking; needs alignment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does anyone have a schematic or alignment info on this unit? Unit reads quite a bit off from my Coaxial Dynamics. The Daiwa web site link for contacting Daiwa does not work ...

KD5RXN Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2007 18:49 Send this review to a friend
A little expensive but a good meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am totally pleased with the construction, performance and looks of this meter. A large meter and easy to read. 1.8 to 200NHz coverage and a 20/200/2KW range. It is a little on the expensive side but compared to other meters I have looked at it was worth the extra $$$.

KF0XV Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2007 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine today. Hooked it up and all works fine.
I wish they had a switch to turn off the light but other then that I like it. I give it a 5/5 because thats how it works for me.

K9YC Rating: 0/5 Feb 3, 2007 14:26 Send this review to a friend
No PEP reflected, poor mfr support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this unit specifically to read reflected power in PEP mode, and it does not do that. I called the vendor to arrange for warranty repair or exchange, and he refused, saying that he got no support from the manufacturer.

Looked on the net for documentation (schematic, layout, calibration info), with no success.

Bad news! $160 down the drain.

Jim Brown K9YC

NL7FK Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2007 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Super Meter for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
For 149.00 or less one has to look high and low to find a better P.E.P meter. I checked the accuracy against my Coxial Dynamics and it is within a watt accuracy on average and PEP. The actual meter is large enough to actually see and the light gives off a nice glow. I wired my meter into my 13V outlet on my Mark-V so when my radio is turned off the light goes off. I run the meter in line with an Alpha 99 and am not afraid to run legal limit. This meter hangs in there like a champ. I have had this meter for over a year and had no problems what so ever. If you are considering a nice meter with PEP this is a winner. Way to go Diawa!!